Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Live stream?!!
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Live stream?!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funksteroo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Live stream?!! Reply with quote

Hey Scott, are you planning on doing a live stream at the baked potato? It would be awesome if you did.. i got my wallet ready! 😉🤞🏻🎸
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to disappoint but my band lives in Paris. Right now it's looking like our next show will be at a jazz festival in Korea in October - we hope!
hipfreejazz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about with Deron, Jimmy, and Joel or Ernest and Alan?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is why I don’t want to do it. My music is difficult and it’s a lot of work to get it under my fingers to the point where I can play it in a relaxed way - that takes at least two weeks of practice. I’ll do it to prepare for a tour, but not for one show. After a few gigs, the focus isn't about playing the music correctly, it’s about being creative. Those are the kind of gigs I love, but they never happen on the first night, where the mindset is “don’t fuck it up, don’t fuck it up”.

The main reason I feel uncomfortable on first shows is the huge difference in volume from playing soft at home. The first gig always feels like a war zone to me, especially at the Baked Potato, which is one of the loudest rooms I’ve ever played. The stage is very small so we’re literally set up right next to each other - I’m not used to that. None of the drummers I play with are that loud, but a snare sounds like a gunshot on that stage - the audience doesn’t hear that, but I do. I’m sure many of you have experienced playing louder than you’re used to, the guitar feeling totally out of control, and some of the musicality being lost because of the extreme volume.

That all being said, I love Justin, I appreciate the fans coming to see me play there, and it’s the best place in LA to hear live jazz, as Catalina’s sounds like a basketball court in comparison.
hipfreejazz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about solo guitar live from Henderson studio, like what your lesbian love, Grumps, is doing? Just kidding...

About five years ago, I saw you at BP. I sat in the center. It was loud and I and others were grabbing our ears. I also saw you at Alvas. You were loud but not as loud as at BP.
gary0214

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this gig still happening in august - https://thevelvetnote.com/event/scott-henderson/ ?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we had to cancel it. Archie and Romain were supposed to be living in LA in August, but because of the virus they went back to Paris, and flying from Paris to Atlanta for one show isn't practical. We're hoping to move the Velvet Note to January when the guys come to LA for NAMM, and our usual shows at Baked Potato, Alva's and the Bunkhouse in Vegas.
dizzy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God—I must be deaf. When I’ve seen you at the baked potato it is not really loud to me at all. But on stage is a different story for the player.
Mike Landau plays loud and I like that too.
I wish people were cooler with loud music like they used to be. I remember in the 90s I was in a band that was know as “a really loud band” in town. People actually liked that aspect of it.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you're sitting at Baked Potato can make a big difference. Back at the bar it's not that loud, but in the front seats it can be earplugs time, depending on who's playing. The loudest place in the room is the stage, that's for sure. It's unfortunate because it's a good sounding room, but the volume really fucks with me every time I play there - I never come away thinking I played well. The beginnings of my solos start out good and then turn into a nervous train wreck as I fight to hear myself and stop the guitar from feeding back because my amp is all the way up. I guess next time I'll put way more guitar in my monitor and maybe it'll help.
dizzy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that way a lot. The way I describe it is I feel separate from the band.
It is like a nightmare—onstage alone.
It’s even worse when the rhythm section tunes out—that doesn’t happen with your trio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: