Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - York Audio KW 412 M25-SH IR Pack
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

York Audio KW 412 M25-SH IR Pack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusion58

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: York Audio KW 412 M25-SH IR Pack Reply with quote

Hi Scott:

Just learned about the new York Audio IR pack modeled on your Kerry Wright cab on your IG page, and I can’t wait to try it out!

Question: Which IR loader are you currently using for recording?

IIRC, you were using MixIR last I checked. However, unfortunately, I just upgraded to an Apple Silicon Mac, (M2 Pro) and MixIR3 isn’t working in Digital Performer 11 for me, so I’m looking for alternatives.

Thanks, and I’m eagerly awaiting the release of the new record. Cool
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could help but I'm on a 2013 Mac Pro and using mixIR2. There must be something out there, but unfortunately many companies can't keep up with Apple's obsession with progress. I'd ask Justin York - he's using ProTools but I think his system is way more up to date than mine. Just make sure that whatever you get can play 500ms IR's - that's important because you lose bass with shorter IRs.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott.
Yesterday, soon after having read your post on FB, I got my York Audio KW pack, and today I've used a bunch of the included IRs (there are a lot of them, well worth the money) for a quick test, a short demo, using my Germino Club 40 head (a JTM 45 handmade clone) straight into my Mac (a 2011 Macbook pro with High Sierra IOs), running the IRs on a Two Notes Torpedo Wall Of Sound plug-in.
Wow, these IRs sound incredibly realistic.
The tone is rich, deep, crispy and with well rounded basses.
Very well balanced across the whole tone spectrum so that no further EQ adjustment was needed to sit in the mix.
They sound incredibly good both on clean and overdriven parts.
A dream come true!
Many thanks for giving us such a valuable resource
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, happy to hear that! One suggestion - try them using mixIR2 or mixIR3. Wall Of Sound (as I remember) can't play 500ms IRs, so they're being truncated and you're losing bass. mixIR goes all the way to 8000ms, so it can play IRs, reverbs and just about any of those type effects.
dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Thumberstrummer"]Hi Scott.
Yesterday, soon after having read your post on FB, I got my York Audio KW pack, and today I've used a bunch of the included IRs (there are a lot of them, well worth the money) for a quick test, a short demo, using my Germino Club 40 head (a JTM 45 handmade clone) straight into my Mac (a 2011 Macbook pro with High Sierra IOs), running the IRs on a Two Notes Torpedo Wall Of Sound plug-in.
Wow, these IRs sound incredibly realistic.
The tone is rich, deep, crispy and with well rounded basses.
Very well balanced across the whole tone spectrum so that no further EQ adjustment was needed to sit in the mix.
They sound incredibly good both on clean and overdriven parts.
A dream come true!
Many thanks for giving us such a valuable resource[/quote]

Thumberstrummer

I notice exactly the same thing.
Compared to other 4x12 irs they are really clear. I don’t feel any need to eq them. Some of the other ir brands sound muddy but if you boost treble they sound too bright. These KW ones are perfectly balanced to begin with.
fusion58

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Thanks, happy to hear that! One suggestion - try them using mixIR2 or mixIR3. Wall Of Sound (as I remember) can't play 500ms IRs, so they're being truncated and you're losing bass. mixIR goes all the way to 8000ms, so it can play IRs, reverbs and just about any of those type effects.

Correct.

I e-mailed Two Notes support, and the rep confirmed that not even the most recent version of Wall of Sound supports 500ms IRs. 'Tis a bummer, as I really like the plugin aside from that particular shortcoming.

BTW, Scott, on the subject of IR loaders, have you tried Celestion Speaker Mix Pro? If so, I'd be interested in hearing your take.

Pete Thorn demo:

https://youtu.be/MM-4GmvYnHg
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try Celestion Speaker Mix Pro and I didn't like it. The problem with this type of software is the algorithms are too complex - like having an amp with a million knobs on it - usually the simpler an amp is, the better it sounds.

I tried one of my favorite York Audio IRs (this was before he did the SH pack), it was a 4x12 Greenback IR. I listened to it in mixIR2 and in Celestion Speaker Mix Pro. Not even a contest - that software ruined it. I don't know why the engineers can't hear it, but they must not be doing comparisons. WOS is even worse - when you truncate a 500ms IR, it's toast - the low end just goes away.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott.
It's a few months I'm messing around with digital stuff matched w analog gear, especially after your advice on how good the York Audio IRs are. Having purchased some further IRs of theirs (YA 4x10 bassman cab IRs are excellent!), not mentioning your signature KW pack - my favorite one! - I'm ending up with the decision of switching to IRs for live use, being already sold for IRs use when recording, especially at home. But that means I need a good IR loader. There are many benefits in using such technology live, now that some awesome sounding IRs are available. No more mics & stands to bring along, no more FOH guys complaining for open mics on the stage, a consistent tone wherever you happen to play... IMO these all are good reasons, worth to move a step forward, technology-wise.
So I'm looking for a good IR loader, to hook up to my amp line out, sent FOH.
The point here is that, AFAIK, there are no devices on the market able to handle 200 or 500 ms IRs. No point that when playing rock, using almost distorted tones, one may feel ok with 2048 pts IRs (= 42.5 ms). But whether one needs a more organic tone, it's key to use IRs up to 500 ms. Any good advice from you of from any of the folks out there, on which device I could rely on, with these pre-requisites in mind? I happened to hit the Mooer Cab X2, which can handle IRs up to 2048 pts (while majority of the IR loaders on the market stop at 1024 pts), and it's stereo, rugged and cheap... Could it be a good option? Many thanks in advance...
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert because I haven't checked for awhile, but when my friend and I were looking into this about 6 months ago, we couldn't find a hardware IR player which could play 500 ms IR's. I think the reason is - the best IR players work on computers, because they need all that processing power to do their thing. Many keyboard players use their laptops on gigs for loops and sound banks, so if you don't mind bringing a laptop with mixIR on it to your gigs, that and a small interface would solve the problem.

That being said, maybe I wouldn't be as picky about the IR player for live gigs. I don't know because I've never tried it. One thing I'd be worried about is hearing myself through monitors (especially most trashed club monitors) instead of a cabinet behind me. Not sure I could get cool feedback from a monitor like I can from a cabinet. Also I'm addicted to that big 4x12 sound behind me...
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott.
Edit: after a little more searching, I've found out that the Strymon Iridium and the new Boss IR 200 both can upload third party's IRs, both are stereo (may be charged w different IR cabs on each channel), where the first is able to handle 24 bit/96 kHz up to 500ms impulse responses, while the second sports 32 bit floating points / 96 kHz / 200 or 500 ms IR handling capabilities, thanks to their powerful DSP engines. Good to know. I'll check out one of those hopefully soon. Not sure if they can operate as a sole IR loading unit (I'm not interested at all in their amp simulation features), and they're a bit on the expensive side...
When it comes to listening to one own guitar tone through the monitors - I totally agree w you, those latter are often the weakest part of the backline provided by gig venues, but as far as you have your fully operational amp behind you, the IR signal only goes to the audience (replacing the mic), while you should be able to listen to your guitar through the amp.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has the Iridium - it sounds OK, but it's no mixIR. If you were going to use a cabinet anyway, what would be the purpose of using IR's live? I've been doing this a long time and never had a problem with a 57 in the cabinet. It's a 4x12 though, so no one's gonna hear sound coming from anywhere else.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott. In the meantime I've decided to buy me an Iridium. Been testing it for a couple weeks now. The amp sim section can be switced off, so it's fitting my purpose. It's very transparent and I can confirm it sounds great. High quality IR's are handled properly to my ears. The same IR's do not sound the same, through my Line6 HX Stomp, which handles only up to 2048 pts IR's (= 45 ms length samples, or so). There are 9 slots for uploading 9 different stereo IR's, at their full definition (96 K / 500 ms).
When it comes to you being on the fence with sending FOH a line signal with IR's, when using a head and a 4x12, I fully get your point. But when it comes to me, I rarely have the chance to bring a 4x12 on stage, and even if I could, there would be a nasty PA guy there trying to force me to tame my amp volume at a barely udible level! Therefore to me it seems a good compromise, the only chance to have a BIG sound live, with a tiny, but decent amp. I'm using a line out box between the amp and the speaker, so sending a line level signal to the Iridium (then I'll probably need a Line Isolator to run long cables to the mixer). I'm just in the test stage, but I'm being quite happy so far. Haven't had yet the chance to test it live.
dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thumbstrumber

That’s cool. So you’re using a regular smaller amp on stage and then sending a direct signal of that amp plus the speaker ir to the mixing board?

that’s a really good solution because you get the sound of the 412 in the mains at least.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Dizzy.
The signal for the Iridum comes straight out of a little box (essentially a voltage divider with a pot) set between the amp speaker-out and the speaker, same location as if it was a power attenuator (which isn't - it doesn't affect the amp tone / volume at all). Such signal is wet, as I run my effects front amp. I'm sending to the mains the same effected sound of the amp, but added w the IR of choice.
Consider that Revv, a Canadian amp & pedal builder, recently launced a small tube amp (25 watts) meant to be a Fender-alike clean pedal platform, aimed at doing that - it hosts onboard a Two Notes IR loader. Revv is endorsed by Shawn Tubbs, a cool player. Check it out on YT
That's where my idea raised from. But as pointed out by Scott, the Two Notes stuff does not handle 500 ms IRs. In that regard, the Iridium is way better. Having in house a little amp, the whole system is costing me a fraction of a Revv amp, and probably it sounds better
dizzy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s cool.

And you can switch amps when you want and still run the same ir rig.
I never understand the appeal of amps with built in ir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: