Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Treble Bleed Mod on Old SH Signature Guitar
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Treble Bleed Mod on Old SH Signature Guitar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
randope

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Treble Bleed Mod on Old SH Signature Guitar Reply with quote

hey scott,
My friend and I were cleaning up the circuits of his SH Suhr when I noticed that it had a capacitor & resistor wired to the volume pot. I figured it must be a treble bleed but I remembered that you don't like that tone. Did you once have it installed on your guitars? Do you still have this mod in your current guitars?

Regards,
Randy
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John doesn't put that mod in the guitars he makes for me. I use a very short cable going from the guitar to my first pedal, so I don't loose treble when I turn down. Most guys use a much longer cable so he puts the mod in his guitars. I think it sounds terrible, but I guess it doesn't bother some people. I'd rather the guitar get all dark and muddy when turning down than use that mod.
bigscottfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, have you ever tried the "50s wiring" mod for stratocaster?
I like it a lot, helps to retain the highs when I turn the volume down.

All the best.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between the 50's wiring and the normal one? Can you post a picture of it?
bigscottfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to an article that also has a picture of the mod.
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/gibson_50s_wiring_on_a_stratocaster

I think it is simply that one connects the tone pot after the volume pot (output) instead of before it (input) as usually. Some say it also alters the tone a bit, but I didn't notice anything I could put my finger on.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked John about this mod and he said "Fender changed that for a reason."

In his opinion it's not a good idea, since the tone of the guitar also changes depending on where the volume knob is, in a more drastic way that it does with the normal wiring. He says a better solution to the treble loss problem is to use a short cable to your first pedal. But he also said the 50's wiring is something to check out because some guys like it. I'm too lazy to take a guitar apart but if I run across someone who's using that mod I'll try to borrow their guitar and check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: