Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - layering
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

layering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: layering Reply with quote

Hey Scott

When you layer several guitar tracks do you get one track that is the main one that makes the song sound complete and then go back and enhance that? Or do you ever think of the layers as creating one part that wouldn't sound complete if you took off a layer?
I am sure this varies---like when you did the tribal tech improvisation albums and layered you were working with preexisting music and you layered to fill it out.
I guess I am asking about your new album primarily.

Thanks---I hope the new album is going good.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's a main track, which is what you'd hear if you came to a live gig. I never want to record stuff I can't play live. The layers are mainly textural in nature, but sometimes I compose parts which didn't exist before. Those parts won't be on the gig, but they're not important enough to ruin the song if they're not heard.

The fun part is taking what I do live and assigning this or that section to different tones. The hard part is making everything sound separated and clear. Of course panning is a big part of it, but different guitars, speakers and pedals also help. Alan Hertz is mixing the record in a few weeks, and last time he heard some of the stuff, he said all the guitars sound too big. It's my nature to try to get fat tones, but I know if all the guitars are fat, everything gets muddy and doesn't leave space for the bass and drums. So I guess we'll be turning down mids and low mids on some guitar parts when we mix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: