Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - LA Area Gigs & Other Things
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

LA Area Gigs & Other Things

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hipfreejazz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: LA Area Gigs & Other Things Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

Hope you're doing well.

1) Good to see that you have some LA gigs to promote the new record. Could you post any future local gigs—including Nomad Trio or any boat gigs—here or on your website? I’m in LA on business for an extended period and I would love to catch any of your local performances. Of the three venues that you'll be performing at, which one do you recommend to a LA newbie?

2) Are you getting any support for the new record from any of your sponsors? It would be cool if you could do a studio promo like the one Mike Landau did with Fender. So, for example, your group performs one of your new tunes while promoting Suhr guitars. I assume this comes down to dollars—big money Fender vs. boutique Suhr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbQJTAXVwUo

3) How did you record this Suhr amp promo? The sound quality is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoM-01ZKNiQ

4) Have you ever explored online merchandising of items such as t-shirts, hats, etc.? Also, how about a web subscription model for lessons? Willis is collaborating with Borlai on a web subscription model. Or, are you considering working with Guitar Breakdown channel? David Clayton is a big admirer of yours and has done numerous tutorials on your music.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9D1804CEA8213380

5) What are your and Jeff's plans for the band formerly known as HBC? Jeff mentioned that you two are exploring working with other drummers.

6) Any Led Zep cover band and/or Pure Hell audio samples that you can share?

7) Finally, check out this young lady's vocalese interpretation of your composition Spears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQSwCOiuZZk

Thank you for your time and for sticking to your special brand of music.

Pete
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These gigs aren't really to promote the new record since it won't be out until summer. After that we have a lot of gigs planned to support it. MI is where I teach - the gigs I do there are for students only. Baked Potato is a great sounding room but it sounds better in front than at the bar, so you have to arrive early to get a good seat. Alva's also sounds great, and it's more like theatre type seating so anywhere you sit is fine.

I don't ask gear companies for anything more than quality gear. I don't want my motivation to be based on money or career stuff. I'm happy to do videos for Suhr, because they already have that covered in house and don't have to pay for anything extra. They aren't equipped to record a band - we'd have to do it in a real studio and that gets pricey. Sorry, I don't remember exactly what recording gear they used for my videos - they have some good mic pre's and I think they were recording into a Mac with Pro Tools.

I don't do any merch on the web - I have friends who do it and if I wasn't so busy I'd probably look into it. Bruce Foreman turned me onto a guy who does mini-lessons on his website and releases them monthly. He has a lot of really great players, so I'll do something with him in the future.

Jeff and I were touring with other drummers while Dennis was sick, but his doctor has cleared him for touring again so we have some east coast gigs in September, and South America in November.

I wish I had some Pure Hell audio!! That band kicked ass! I just talked to Spoochie, the sax player - it's great to be in touch with those guys. I'd post some pics but I don't know how to do it.

Yes I know Vasu - she's awesome!!! I love that girl! She came to see us play in Bangalore and everyone was telling me she's one of the best singers in India.
hipfreejazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Scott. I added Baked Potato and Alvas to my calendar. I'm hoping to catch Mike Landau at the Baked Potato. I saw him several years ago in a small bar in CT. There were maybe 20+ people there. Great pure tone and phrasing!

Good to hear that Dennis' health has recovered and that HBC will tour. Any plans to do another HBC record?

Here're two more ladies inspired by your music.

Camila Kerr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdgyfZrs3G0

Sara Zaccarelli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFzlCH1a7ek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPLhSj41U-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE8NUNn2LNc
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is one of the all time greats. In my opinion, the only blues-rock guitarist in history on the level of Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck. Not saying there aren't a lot of incredible guitarists out there, but Mike is in a whole other league.

I hope to do another record with HBC but nothing has been planned at this point. If we do, it'll be a completely different approach. No more fusion covers since we've already been down that road. Maybe more standards and pop tunes - I like our version of Come Together, and we're always looking for fun music like that to cover.

Great to see that I'm inspiring some women! How come there aren't more of them at my gigs? Oh, I forgot..... I'm ugly and I'm playing instrumental fusion. D'oh!
hipfreejazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Great to see that I'm inspiring some women! How come there aren't more of them at my gigs? Oh, I forgot..... I'm ugly and I'm playing instrumental fusion. D'oh!

I beg to differ, Scott. In the pic below, you look like a guitar god!

https://fbcdn-photos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-0/10304560_10152459003381737_2160663845000545269_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=989d42f699b4b5605c31f346d629d330&oe=55800DA4&__gda__=1434738881_c794a45624072a90d5f38f04952a30ac
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best look I've ever had!!
hipfreejazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
These gigs aren't really to promote the new record since it won't be out until summer.

Well, Scott, looks like the Baked Potato and Alvas gigs will be promoting the new record. Will you have CDs at the LA shows? Any chance you can post a short sample from the new record? Looking forward to the LA performances and the new music! Have a safe and enjoyable European tour.

Pete
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete!

Yes, there was a change in plans and I was able to get the record out sooner than I thought. I'll have CD's at the LA gigs and on the April Europe tour. The album is being mastered now, so as soon as it's approved I'll make 30 second clips for my website.

I'll start a new thread soon with all the info about the record.
hipfreejazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Great to see that I'm inspiring some women! How come there aren't more of them at my gigs?

I know that you're aware of a Facebook group called Tribal Tech Addicts. Well, one of it's members is this lovely young lady from Vienna.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005393478117&sk=photos&collection_token=100005393478117%3A2305272732%3A5

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005393478117&sk=groups&collection_token=100005393478117%3A2361831622%3A66&next_cursor=MDpub3Rfc3RydWN0dXJlZDo4MzkzNDA2MTk5

I think she will stand out if she attends your 4/16 performance at the Reigen in Vienna. Obviously, you're a married man but if Travis and/or Alan are single, an all access backstage pass may be in order. Any chance you can hire her and add her to the Vibe Station album cover and/or hire her to promote the European leg of the tour?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember ever seeing her in Vienna - she'd be hard to miss at one of my gigs. I'll have to send her an invitation and see if she and her friends want to sing/ dance/ do anything they want at our show!
hipfreejazz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I don't remember ever seeing her in Vienna - she'd be hard to miss at one of my gigs. I'll have to send her an invitation and see if she and her friends want to sing/ dance/ do anything they want at our show!

Looks like she's from Vienna but living in Berlin. Maybe she and her friends can actively participate at the gigs in Germany. Can you ask Mike Varney to fly her to LA for the Vibe Station release performances? Just tell her she was a randomly selected prize winner as a member of the Tribal Tech Addicts group.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely! I love spending Mike's money and I'm sure he won't mind this important expense to support the tour!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: