Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Alembic
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Alembic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stratultra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Alembic Reply with quote

Hi Scott, im a big fan of yours over here in the UK and seen you a couple of times with your own band and tribal tech in Manchester England.
I have a few guitars and my main guitar is a 1992 Strat Ultra which i love but just wondered if you have ever tried out Alembic guitars at all and what is your take on them and other electric guitars with active electronics?

Also any tour dates planned in the UK for 2017?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I've never tried any guitars with active electronics. I've actually wondered what the point of all that is. It seems the last thing you'd want to do is add more electronics to a guitar other than a magnetic pickup. Seems like it would be less natural sounding and mask the tone of the wood. But - I could be wrong since I've never tried it. Maybe someone else on the forum has some answers.

No gigs booked in the UK for 2017 yet, but I hope it happens!
Travis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Sorry, I've never tried any guitars with active electronics. I've actually wondered what the point of all that is. It seems the last thing you'd want to do is add more electronics to a guitar other than a magnetic pickup. Seems like it would be less natural sounding and mask the tone of the wood. But - I could be wrong since I've never tried it. Maybe someone else on the forum has some answers.

The short answer is: it was San Francisco in the 70's. (DRUGS!!!)

The long answer is: lower impedance active electronics are quieter and more effiecent in terms of output to noise and frequency range than traditional high impedance pickups. It eliminates a lot of variables: the mid range resonant peak caused by high Z pickups, the cable capacitance loading from the guitar to the amp is pretty much eliminated, and the amp you are using doesn't have to be high impedance which is generally prone to noise. You would then have multiple on board circuits to control certain frequencies and gain from the guitar. On paper and in some real world cases (like a modern electric bass with an active preamp) it's a pretty great idea.

For electric guitar? IMO, not so much. All of the supposed shortcomings to the traditional high impedance set-up are integral to how an electric guitar sounds. I compare using low impedance pickups to using a PA cabinet or a monitor with a tweeter for guitar: it's not the frequency range a guitar should be in.

There are also Alembic gadgets like the "Stratoblaster" that were simple 9v battery powered booster circuits integrated into a Strat with vintage high impedance pickups. A switch could turn off the booster from the guitar; similar to having a pedal built into the guitar. "Active" doesn't always mean "low impedance" and vice-versa.

Hope that helps? Smile
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Travis, that clears it up. I tried a Stratoblaster once and hated it - it sounded like I was playing through tweeters. For very clean tones it's OK, but distortion tones are fizzy and cold sounding without any capacitance from the cable. Pretty much like using a wireless system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: