Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Frank Gambale
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Frank Gambale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
intervallicdesign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Frank Gambale Reply with quote

Anyone heard the new FG record where he uses the tuning he came up with? What do you think?
peace
kirk95
StarShip Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is that tuning?
vladorg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
the tuning is called the Nouveau Tuning which Frank hasn't disclosed yet but what it does is gives you the opportunity to get all these close clustered chord voicings that keyboard players get and sound so sweet.
On the album - I thought there was some good stuff and I thought there was some mediocre stuff.I mean it's obvious that FG is a great player and improvisor but his compositions are kinda weak sometimes IMHO. The other thing I didn't like about the new record is taht it sounds kinda dry and Cobham's playing did not excite me at all.Just my .02$

Vlad
intervallicdesign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree about Gambale's compositions. I was curious as to whether this new tuning took his writing in any new directions.
Can't take anything away from the guy though- he definitely kicks ass.
peace
Angelic Layer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He mention in an interview that he is filing for a patent for the new tuning.
kirk95
StarShip Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can patent a tuning? So other players will have to pay Frank to use that tuning? That would would be pretty sick! Shocked
clovis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish someone would figure out the tuning and spill the beans on what it is. I tried to get it from his new CD, but couldn't figure it out. He not only tunes different, but it is a different way of stringing the guitar too apparently....a report from a recent show of his says it looked like he was using the G string where the B normally is...or something like that....I think it's pretty lame that he would patent it....what's the point?

John R.
intervallicdesign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clovis wrote: "I think it's pretty lame that he would patent it....what's the point?"

I completely agree. Lame, and egotistical.
peace
madaxeman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig the new CD Raison D'Etre! Frank's new tuning creates smaller intervals between the strings. It facilitates playing clusters (2nds) as opposed to quartal (4ths) and tertian (3rds) chord structures on a standard tuning. Playing multiple consecutive seconds on a guitar is difficult if not impossible without incorporating open strings and/or right hand fingering. Frank was looking for a more pianistic sound like Chick uses often for a variety of harmonic colors to use in composing and improvising. Can't wait to hear "To The Stars"! Very Happy
The Owl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank is one guy I have VERY mixed feelings about. I can certainly repsect him for his advances with "sweep picking" even though it does admittedly have limited musical use, and now trying a new tuning.

I have to admit though I do find Frank's playing VERY dry, academic, uptight and over-technical and not very soul-stirring the way that someone like Scott is (although I HAVE heard odd moments where he CAN transcend himself). Plus, Frank's compositions tend to be rather dry and generic to my ears. I guess the other thing to me is that Frank tends to come off a bit arrogant and full of himself.

I'll take Scott anyday!!!

MP3's @: http://theowlwatches.dmusic.com
intervallicdesign

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Owl said:

I have to admit though I do find Frank's playing VERY dry, academic, uptight and over-technical and not very soul-stirring the way that someone like Scott is (although I HAVE heard odd moments where he CAN transcend himself). Plus, Frank's compositions tend to be rather dry and generic to my ears. I guess the other thing to me is that Frank tends to come off a bit arrogant and full of himself.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
I don't care how technically or harmonically advanced a player is; for me it all comes down to their "feel" and their tone.
peace
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Owl wrote:
Frank is one guy I have VERY mixed feelings about. I can certainly repsect him for his advances with "sweep picking" even though it does admittedly have limited musical use, and now trying a new tuning.

My biggest problem with Gambale & his sometime boss, Chick Corea, is that, given all their technical gifts, they insist on writing 'happy jazz' that makes Ashlee Simpson sound almost hip. When they let their hair down, figuratively, of course, they can make some great music, but, unfortunately, that's nowhere near as often as it should be.
The Owl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleSalty wrote:
My biggest problem with Gambale & his sometime boss, Chick Corea, is that, given all their technical gifts, they insist on writing 'happy jazz' that makes Ashlee Simpson sound almost hip. When they let their hair down, figuratively, of course, they can make some great music, but, unfortunately, that's nowhere near as often as it should be.

Point well taken there Uncle Salty! I actually love several of the Elektric Band releases (some of the debut, Eye of The Beholder, Inside Out and Paint The World) but thought others fall into the cheesy "happy jazz" category you describe (Light Years, Beneath The Mask). It seems that with the notable exceptions of Scott, Mike Miller and Bill Connors, Chick has always leaned toward guitarists that just do nothing more than technique crazed wanking. Don't even get me started on Al DiMeola, this normally even-keeled Owl goes into fire-breathing rant mode about Big Al! Evil or Very Mad For more evidence, see my scathing reviews on Amazon for Big Al's "land of The Midnight Sun" and "Splendido Hotel".

MP3's @: http://theowlwatches.dmusic.com
fusion58

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Frank - he's written some gorgeous themes and melodies, and I really dig the chord voicings he plays. His catalog spans an impressive range of styles - from the fire-breathing histrionics of "Frank Gambale Live" to the harder-edged rock fusion of "The Great Explorers" and "Passages," to the sublime, Benson-esque hollow body stylings of "Thinking out Loud" to the masterful chord melody arrangements of "Coming to Your Senses" and 'GHS.' And, most obviously, Frank's innovations in the single string technique department arguably place him right up there with Van Halen and Holdsworth among players who have revolutionized the way the instrument is played.

My only major complaint about Gambale concerns the tone department:

Is it just me, or has Frank's tone been getting more and more sterile-sounding and solid state-like with each passing CD?

Pssst! Frank!

Go back to using Boogies or whatever you used to use, if you must.

Just make it tube!

Cool Wink
vladorg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My only major complaint about Gambale concerns the tone department:

Is it just me, or has Frank's tone been getting more and more sterile-sounding and solid state-like with each passing CD?

You're asolutely right and that Carvin Tone Navigator sure ain't helping him Rolling Eyes He should go back to Boogies or at least to teh JMP-1 preamp he used to have!

Vlad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: