Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Basswood+Maple or Mahogany
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Basswood+Maple or Mahogany

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Basswood+Maple or Mahogany Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

This is Louis. We met briefly in Taipei.

I am in the market for a guitar (Suhr modern) with a HSH configuration. (I own your signature strat for my SSS tones.) I am torn between a Mahogany body and neck with a pau ferro board and a basswood body+maple top with a maple neck and board. Do you have any experience with mahogany VS basswood+maple? Have you played much on a pau ferro board? I play mainly instrumental stuff with a distorted tone. Basically trio stuff. My amp is a SH100.

Hope all is well and you come back to Asia soon. I spoke to a club owner in Taipei about you potentially being in Japan later this year and they were super enthusiastic about you coming. The owner said he was once your student at MI.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Louis, I'm sorry but I'm not qualified to answer your question. I had a basswood/ maple neck/ rosewood fingerboard Charvel guitar many years ago. It's the guitar on Spears and Jean-Luc Ponty's "Fables". Since I used a Neumann U87 back then, I can't really compare that tone to the tone of the alder guitars I use now with a 57. The only mahogany guitars I own are Gibsons - I've never played a mahogany strat or pau ferro board. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Maybe someone on the forum has some advice?
Louis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Hi Louis, I'm sorry but I'm not qualified to answer your question. I had a basswood/ maple neck/ rosewood fingerboard Charvel guitar many years ago. It's the guitar on Spears and Jean-Luc Ponty's "Fables". Since I used a Neumann U87 back then, I can't really compare that tone to the tone of the alder guitars I use now with a 57. The only mahogany guitars I own are Gibsons - I've never played a mahogany strat or pau ferro board. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Maybe someone on the forum has some advice?

Thank you for answering, Scott. There's actually a video on YouTube of you playing that guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzpAsq2c6ag I enjoy the video.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: