Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Received Wisdom
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Received Wisdom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojolang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Received Wisdom Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

I found this post immensely interesting and I think you would as well : https://ethaniverson.com/received-wisdom-jeff-goldblum-chord-scales-the-ireal-book-and-kamasi-washington/

^ pianist from bad plus.

I think it would be extremely interesting to hear you and Bruce discuss this in GW given your different backgrounds. The sequel linked at top is also vg.

This is also awesome: https://ethaniverson.com/rhythm-and-blues/the-drum-thing-or-a-brief-history-of-whiplash-or-im-generalizing-here/

I’m sure Ethan would come on GW next time he’s in LA, but I’m equally confidant he’d Skype in but I don’t think you do that....

Best

Joe
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disrespect intended whatsoever, but I’m not interested in lessons on paper. I think transcribing great musicians and learning by ear is the better way. I’m also not interested in Goldblum because I don’t think he’s very good, especially when compared to the greats.

On another note, and I swear this has nothing to do with what I think of his piano playing, but I don’t think much of him as a person either. Several years ago he did a commercial for Jeep, the company that killed Anton Yelchin. Given the fact that Anton was one of dozens involved in fatal and near-fatal accidents caused by Jeep’s shit products, what kind of a person does an ad for them? Fuck Jeff Goldblum.
Mojolang

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

The entire post is actually about the problems with Jazz pedagogy and president what you’re talking about. Iverson in a nice way laments the fact that young students are learning jazz vocabulary in a way that is removed from the roots of jazz. Ethan doesn’t swing full force like you did, but he’s NOT a Goldblum fan when it comes to jazz....

If you don’t want to check it, that’s fine, but I’ve never read an article that is this prescient about the state of jazz....and this is a dude who regularly plays with Ron Carter, Tootie Heath, Billy Hart and other OLD SCHOOL masters....
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies - I didn't read the whole thing but I went back and looked at it again. Totally agree, too much bullshit music theory and not enough art. And I see he's using Goldblum as an example of what NOT to do, exactly as it should be. Goldblum to the piano is what Kenny G is to the saxophone.

And he's still an asshole for doing a Jeep commercial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: