Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Scott - Do you practice plugged in or unplugged?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Scott - Do you practice plugged in or unplugged?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopDog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Scott - Do you practice plugged in or unplugged? Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

Hope you're doing well on the road.

Digging the new record, love the artwork too.

When you practice do you plug into an amp or practice unplugged?

I don't think crosses the line of a teaching question Smile
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, glad you like the record! I use a Korg Pandora PX5-D for practicing, doing workshops, and writing. A few things that I record while writing often make it onto the record - more than usual with this record. All the solos on the song People Mover are the Pandora.

Not to sound like an ad, but it's very small (fits in the palm of your hand), it has some good amp & speaker models, tons of FX and presets, and sounds pretty decent for such a small piece of gear. For workshops it's great because I don't have to play through amps I don't like - I just plug the Pandora into my computer, plug the computer into the PA and play along with my backing tracks.

Of course Korg, like many Japanese companies, had no idea that they made a great product so they discontinued it, but it's easy to find on eBay.
percyguitar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott:

Thanks!!! You sounded great when you did that guitar clinic in Beijing last October using your Korg Pandora PX-5D with your laptop!!!

Have you or anyone here tried or have the new version Korg Pandora Stomp?
https://www.korg.com/us/products/effects/pandora_stomp/

I don’t know how it sounds compare to the older one, I am getting one online maybe tomorrow. It has everything from amps modeling, effects, drums and patterns (does this Pandora Stomp has the loop function? I think the old Pandora PX-5D has some built in patterns for practicing?)

cheers and thanks,
Percy
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard it but I saw that a few people did A/B tests on YouTube between that newer version and the PX5-D. I can't remember what they said but those comparison tests are probably still around.
percyguitar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will get the Pandora Stomp (I was looking at the Line6 Pocket POD but I think the Pandora might sounds better)... Very Happy The Pandora Stomp looks and sounds pretty good, with the footswitch you can switch between different presets...

I was looking for something small for traveling use in a hotel situation (I will probably bring a Blackstar Fly3 little portable amp, those seem to sound pretty good...)

Hopefully the Pandora Stomp is as good as the PX5D, but sometimes the older models are better... like Terminator T-800 is better than the T-1000... Smile

cheers,
Percy
Chickentonight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it really guitar straight to pandora to computer? What a great tone out of that thing. Many newer modeling devices should learn something from it.

Been diggin the new album. At first I didn't quite like it that much, but as it almost always is, if you don't get and don't completely hate it immediately it's a sign of a great album. And it sure is one.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Pandora into my 1073 mic pre and then into the computer. It really is a great sounding little box for the money.

Albums grow on me too - I hated Birds Of Fire the first time I heard it, but now it's one of my favorites.
percyguitar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Korg Pandora Stomp just arrived this morning, I been playing with it for 3 hours, their amp models and effects are really good, I think they’re better than some Line6, I have a POD XT for traveling use and I can replace it now with this Korg Pandora Stomp, it is 6 times smaller than the POD and lighter too!!!! Thank you Scott for telling us about the Korg Pandora!!! The 100 build-in drum patterns are good enough for jamming and writing some ideas / riffs. The footswitch function is great for switching patches, it must be great and handy for jamming with friends. And the headphones output sounds great and there is an AUX input, I can use the backing tracks in my phone with a cable to the Pandora AUX in.

I saw Scott connected his Pandora to his laptop (backing tracks/ recording software) when practicing at backstage, I forgot how he connect his Pandora with his laptop, using the USB cable? Did he use the effects in the Pandora such as delay and reverb? Maybe Scott can tell us about it... thanks!!!

cheers,
Percy
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the USB cable just to power the Pandora so I don't need batteries. To get from the output of the Pandora to the computer, I use a Griffin iMic.

If you're plugging into a DAW, you can use it's delay and reverb, or you can get them from the Pandora. It all depends on how fast your computer is - using FX from the Pandora makes it easier on the CPU.
gurnisht

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you hear a significant difference between connecting the PX5D to the Griffin iMic and going through the 1073 pre?
Btw did you try the Spark amp sim? I tried the demo (using a Klon pedal before the soundcard) and it sounds not bad at all.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big difference because the iMic can only go up to 48k, but that limitation doesn't exist when plugging into an analog mic pre and directly into the computer. The difference between 48 and 96 is huge. I use the iMic on the road with my laptop for practicing and workshops so 48 is fine for that.

I haven't heard the Spark - there's a boost pedal by TC called Spark that I've been wanting to try so I'll check them both out.
fusion58

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Thanks, glad you like the record! I use a Korg Pandora PX5-D for practicing, doing workshops, and writing. A few things that I record while writing often make it onto the record - more than usual with this record. All the solos on the song People Mover are the Pandora.

Not to sound like an ad, but it's very small (fits in the palm of your hand), it has some good amp & speaker models, tons of FX and presets, and sounds pretty decent for such a small piece of gear. For workshops it's great because I don't have to play through amps I don't like - I just plug the Pandora into my computer, plug the computer into the PA and play along with my backing tracks.

Of course Korg, like many Japanese companies, had no idea that they made a great product so they discontinued it, but it's easy to find on eBay.

I still have my ancient Pandora PX2 from my M.I. days.

As a matter of fact, I remember using it the last time I attended one of your open counselings.

I used the PX2 for teaching throughout the late 90s and 2000s. I still think I should have gotten some kind of kickback from Korg for the number of units purchased by students. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: