Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - couple questions
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

couple questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: couple questions Reply with quote

Hey Scott

1. Before you mix an album somewhere else do you do a rough mix in your studio and try to get it as close as you can?
2. When you mix at another studio do you bring your lexicon reverb and echoboy delay plug in or do you use what the place where you mix has?
3. When you record at home and you are going for the big clean chord volume pedal swell do you have an echo boy preset? If so what delay in echo boy do you use?
4. Was the song Canine an important song for you because you played in a trio format like you do now? You guys sound great playing that tune on face first. I guess I mean did that song help you decide to start releasing trio albums?

Thanks Scott
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Before you mix an album somewhere else do you do a rough mix in your studio and try to get it as close as you can?

I get the bass and drums as close as I can, but I have the mix and EQ of the guitar tracks 99% finished. During the mix, the engineer might ask me to change the global volume of the guitars, and I can do that without loosing all my small automation moves.

2. When you mix at another studio do you bring your lexicon reverb and echoboy delay plug in or do you use what the place where you mix has?

I've always mixed with engineers who I know well - they all have the same plug-in's I do. On the new album we're mixing on my Mac, so that makes it easy.

3. When you record at home and you are going for the big clean chord volume pedal swell do you have an echo boy preset? If so what delay in echo boy do you use?

I use Waves Super-Tap for that. I use 2 busses, with 2 delays on each bus. On the left, a 140ms delay feeds into a 350ms delay, and on the right, a 210ms delay feeds into a 450ms delay. The feedback on the left is a bit longer so both sides fade at the same time.

4. Was the song Canine an important song for you because you played in a trio format like you do now? You guys sound great playing that tune on face first. I guess I mean did that song help you decide to start releasing trio albums?

No, not at that time. Canine was more of a novelty tune since the band was pretty keyboard-driven. The inspiration to play trio came when Willis moved to Spain and I didn't have a band anymore. Just about every guitarist I know was playing trio and I felt like an idiot for allowing myself to be the token guitar player in keyboard bands for so many years. I learned a lot from it, but it was also very one dimensional. I love playing trio and I'll make up for lost time by continuing in that direction.
dizzy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: