Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - writing
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

writing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: writing Reply with quote

Hey Scott
When you compose do you stick with one song until it is finished or do you work on multiple songs at the same time?
I have been working on the same tune for a month but it is hard for me to work on a different song until the last one is finished.
Thanks Scott
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done both. I probably wouldn't spend a whole month on one tune - that would be frustrating for me, and I'd need to be working on something else too. Normally I'm working on one song at a time, and it usually takes me between a few days up to two weeks to finish it. If I can't be happy with it after two weeks, it's probably gonna end up in the trash.
dizzy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving up on a song is hard. Kinda like putting a sick animal to sleep. Crying or Very sad
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it doesn't happen that often but when it does, it's really painful. There's been a few times when I tossed a tune and kept some of the better phrases for use in a new tune at a later time. Not much of a silver lining but it's something.
countandduke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I have a terrible time writing on my own. I always think I could write something much better so I'm a much better collaborator. Maybe it's because I'm not the only one to blame if it stinks? Smile

I AM a believer that if I get out of my own way, the song will almost write itself. When I "jam" with friends or by myself, I try and reach that place where the ideas are presenting themselves and I'm not forcing it one way or the other.

I read once that Allan Holdsworth pretty much hates his own record once it comes out because he thinks he could do it better! I hope he's changed his thinking but that may be what keeps him at the top of his game...

Maybe that's why I dig so much of the Tribal Tech stuff because it sounds like a really good jam where everyone is listening to the other players and just letting the music "happen".

Scott, I think I remember hearing about a particular TT album that was almost totally improvised, is that true? If so, which one?

Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thick, Rocket Science, and X are all improvised records. Nothing was written before we went into the studio. Then afterwards we pick the 10 best jams and work on them to make them sound more like compositions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: