Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - BOYCOTT KLM, DELTA, and AIR FRANCE!!!!
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

BOYCOTT KLM, DELTA, and AIR FRANCE!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: BOYCOTT KLM, DELTA, and AIR FRANCE!!!! Reply with quote

It seems I only post when I have something to complain about - sorry, but here comes the rant.

I’m one of those guitar players who tries to save my agent money by bringing my guitar on the plane instead of checking it. Most airline people are nice, and after I show them my guitar and tell them all the awful things that can happen if it gets checked, they let me bring it on board.

Two days ago I flew on KLM from LA to Amsterdam, and ran across a stone cold Nazi bitch, the supervisor for KLM at LAX. She didn’t give a shit what happened to the guitar or me for that matter. I showed her on my laptop the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, as well as the Musicians Union agreement with the FAA, but it didn’t phase her. She said “KLM’s policy is check it or don’t fly” and then she walked away. To save my instrument, I had to upgrade to business class, and THEN they let it on the plane. Funny how some cash changes their mind, isn’t it? Luckily the upgrade was cheap because the plane was oversold, which is another bullshit practice airlines get away with.

On the second leg of my trip from Amsterdam to France, I flew on an Embraer 190, a very small plane, and fully booked. I walked on with my guitar and no one said a word. I wonder where her fucking policy went… I suspect in the toilet, since they knew I had my boarding pass already and there was no way to further rip me off.

I arrived in France, but they lost my suitcase containing 300 CD’s to sell on the tour, plus my clothes and everything else. This was because they changed the luggage tag when they upgraded me. Amazingly, I got the suitcase back after two days, but it was the stressful nightmare of my career - well, maybe second to the Sendai earthquake.

Bottom line, if you’re a guitar player, here are three names to avoid: KLM, Delta, and Air France. They are the biggest musician hating assholes of the sky. They’re all partners and share the same policy against musicians. By the way, KLM wanted 100 bucks for the first extra bag (pedal suitcase), and 285 for the third extra bag!!! (the guitar). So basically they wanted me to pay 285 bucks so they could break it.

When I get back to LA, I’m buying a flight case for my guitar. I have no desire to deal with this shit again.

Thanks for reading,

Scott
pedrobellora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
sorry to hear about the horrible time you had... certainly air-travel is the worst part of being a travelling musician!

I was just going thru these concerns myself, so I was wondering which kind of flight-case are you considering for your guitar.

Thanks for sharing, Scott, and best wishes regarding your new case!

- Pedro
Red Suede

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Travel Reply with quote

I read what Jerry Donahue does is install steel inserts in the body and neck holes so he can disassemble the two and pack them his suitcase. John Suhr can probably do it.
erix66

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah everytime i go to france the airlines are on strike.lol
Have fun playing in bordeaux tonight. I saw you did a masterclass in the music school i went to when i lived there.(CIAM) So wish i was there!!
quick question. Your not using the sd9 live anymore only the od9? why the change? thanks scott and have a great rest of the tour!!
Eric
fusion58

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: BOYCOTT KLM, DELTA, and AIR FRANCE!!!! Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
To save my instrument, I had to upgrade to business class, and THEN they let it on the plane. Funny how some cash changes their mind, isn’t it?

Apparently, there's no rule that can't be bent for the right price, eh?

I flew Delta Business Elite about six months ago, and I wasn't even required to undergo a full security screening. I was allowed to just walk on through without removing my shoes or emptying my pockets.

I wasn't complaining, mind you, but the idea that even airport security could be bought was a little disconcerting.

I guess this sort of thing is representative of today's "profit isn't everything - it's the only thing" zeitgeist.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like SKB has a good variety of flight cases to choose from so I'll check it out when I get home.

Still using the SD-9 - just using the OD-9 in the studio if I want that SRV type tone for the neck pickup.
pedrobellora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
It looks like SKB has a good variety of flight cases to choose from so I'll check it out when I get home.

Still using the SD-9 - just using the OD-9 in the studio if I want that SRV type tone for the neck pickup.

Thanks for your reply, and best of luck regarding getting your new case!
Regards,

- Pedro
dizzy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnSlivfhZPU&rdm=1cgidgiq&client=mv-google&app=desktop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: