Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Playing creatively when the energy is high
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Playing creatively when the energy is high

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larue nickelson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Playing creatively when the energy is high Reply with quote

Hi There---

I recently joined a new group that is playing very energetically ----- so much so that when I am playing I feel swept up and I am not able to be creative.
Most of my other playing has been more straight-ahead or ECM type things but this is a fusion band (led by the percussionist for AL Di Meola--- Gumbi Ortiz) and he wants it High Energy all the time.

Any suggestions would be great...thanks!

LaRue
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, but high energy doesn't necessarily mean high volume. I can be creative within a high energy tune, but when it starts getting excessively loud, I go into shell-shocked mode and usually don't play very well.

On the other hand, Hendrix was really creative and he played super loud, so I guess it's what you're used to. Maybe after enough gigs you'll get used to it and won't have the problem anymore. Jeff Berlin and several other musicians I know use ear plugs - I hate them myself but they work for some people.

I talked about this in another post, but if the drummer is using monitors to hear himself, then it's probably a pretty loud band. The drummers I play with never use monitors - if they can't hear themselves well enough, we turn down. That helps keep the volume from getting crazy and we almost always have musical, creative gigs.
larue nickelson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The volume affects me the same way. Not really sure how to get them to play softer...they do that even in rehearsals and to be honest they aren't really particularly open to doing it any other way. I have agreed to do it for a while so I am just trying to use it as a way to challenge myself since they aren't very flexible.

I guess I am just having trouble with the energy of the group...they are playing excited as opposed to being exciting. Whereas the stuff I enjoy is very intense but also dynamic . One of my favorite albums is "Miles Smiles" for example and the ballad "Circle" is very intense but also very soft.

Anyway---I appreciate you taking the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: