Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Bill Connors- Return
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Bill Connors- Return

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
intervallicdesign

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Bill Connors- Return Reply with quote

I got a chance to hear the new Bill Connors album "Return", and would just like to say that fans of straight ahead jazz guitar will definitely dig this album.
Personally, i was somewhat disappointed, as i loved his sound on the 3 albums he did in the early 80's, as well as the rock influences he showed from time to time. This new album is all about hollow body jazz guitar, and although his creativity is still top-notch, i prefer the older stuff. It's definitely good that he's making music again though.

As a somewhat interesting aside, those of you who read the Q&A's with Scott should definitely like this: it's a quote from Connors on his experience playing with Chick in Return To Forever, and scarily mirrors Scott's experience.

Bill continues, thoughtfully, "Chick had a lot ideas that were part of his involvement with Scientology. He got more demanding, and I wasn't allowed to control my own solos. I had no power in the music at all. Then, we'd receive written forms about what clothes we could wear, and graphic charts where we had to rate ourselves every night -- not by our standards, but his. Finally, we had to connect dots on a chart every night. I took all of it seriously because I had a lot of respect for Chick, but eventually I just felt screwed around. In the end, my only power was to quit."

Chick's an amazing musician, but that's some wacky shit Cool
peace
vladorg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got Connor's "Return" and I dug it.You're completely right though-this album doesn't even a bear a remote resemblance to teh "Assembler" and "Step It" stuff he did.It is definitely more straight-ahead oriented.Although I liked it a lot I wish "Return" had some more edge to it,it is a little too mellow at times.

Vlad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: