Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Can this be one of the futures greatest guitarrists?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Can this be one of the futures greatest guitarrists?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kung Bore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Can this be one of the futures greatest guitarrists? Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

First of all thank you for your fenomenal guitarplaying. I have been listening to your music since -97. Even saw you live in Gothenburg about 3 years ago.

Now to my question:
Have you seen the new (and young) guitarplayer Tina S on youtube. I think she is a star (she is only about 15 years old). What do you say? Impressive, I wish I was close to her skill at that age, guess it's to late now (33).
https://www.youtube.com/user/malabar777
It would be interesting to hear your opinion if you have the time to have a peek.

Keep on playing!
/Tobias
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect her ability to play difficult and technical things at the age of 15. When I was 15 I could barely get through Brown Sugar without making a mistake. That being said, we have about 30 to 40 students at MI who sound just like her and they're only 18.

Personally I don't like this kind of music much and feel it's mostly about technique. I'd be much more impressed if she was able to play a simple blues with good phrasing and tone. It's become common to see YouTube videos of kids with their fingers flying 100 MPH, but rare to see them playing musical phrases with soul. I see kids at MI practicing their shred licks and it seems to be about "I can play this at this tempo". It's more like a video game than real music.

If she manages to get away from shred and into some soulful music, she has a good head start to become a great player.
Kung Bore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your straight answer. Myself I play mostly blues, but I ain't even close as fast. But on the other hand I like blues artists like John Lee Hooker. Of course Stevie Ray Vaughan is close to God for me and he had speed and feeling. So do you Scott. I think I one day will tell my grandchildren "I saw Scott Henderson with my bare eyes in 2012" Very Happy. Actually I also asked you a question about the Dog party album. Well thank you for your honest opinion!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and I don't want to come off as a blues snob - I'm a big Van Halen fan and shred guitar can certainly be awesome when played with mature phrasing and great tone. Unfortunately millions of guitar players have copied Eddie's technique and forgot about the rest - when that happens it sounds completely generic to me and I hate it. I can't tell one guy from another - in fact it may have become the most formulated style of guitar playing there is.

When I hear Eddie's solo on Outta Love Again on Van Halen II - yeah, it's fast, but the rhythmic ideas are wicked and it's about the phrasing and tone more than the speed. That's everything I miss when I hear 90% of shredders.
jens_p

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Thanks, and I don't want to come off as a blues snob - I'm a big Van Halen fan and shred guitar can certainly be awesome when played with mature phrasing and great tone. Unfortunately millions of guitar players have copied Eddie's technique and forgot about the rest - when that happens it sounds completely generic to me and I hate it. I can't tell one guy from another - in fact it may have become the most formulated style of guitar playing there is.

When I hear Eddie's solo on Outta Love Again on Van Halen II - yeah, it's fast, but the rhythmic ideas are wicked and it's about the phrasing and tone more than the speed. That's everything I miss when I hear 90% of shredders.

Hi Scott,

big fan from Chile here. Thanks for the autographed album. Love It!
just to keep going on the same topic, I really love the playing of one guy that was extremely influenced at one point by Van Halen, but that makes his own take at it now. Totally aware it might not be your cup of tee as of now, but would love to know to if you think his playing is just too noodlely or do you find some value in his phrasing. As reference one track I really like from him with an impressive/over the top solo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssyXKOYMf58

Since I got your attention, just got ahold of your touring schedule and noticed youŽre performing several dates at Chile, in some time. Some of those dates are located at the outer limits of Santiago and might not get transportation back to Santiago until the morning. Any way I could buy you some drinks and hung out for a few hours to kill some time? Promise I also hate Scientologists and any organized religion, so aside of harassing you with the usual geek gear talk, IŽll probably not be such an unbearable fuck.

Jens
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to get into commenting on other players, especially after only hearing one song. Obviously he's really good and has incredible chops. The vibrato is too wide for my taste, but that goes with the style. A lot of people aren't fans of the whammy bar, so to each his own.

Thanks for the offer but we always stay in hotels very close to the venue - we don't need to stay in Santiago. I always run back to the hotel after the gig to Skype with my 11 year old daughter who misses me a lot when I'm on the road.
ajay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:

Dimebag.

Rip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: