Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Red Bear Picks
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Red Bear Picks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Red Bear Picks Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Amazing playing in Taipei. That show keeps running through my head. It was really something.

I handed you a Red Bear pick after the show. Did you get a chance to try it? I'm curious what you think. I enjoy those picks. Not that many people seem to use them. Guthrie Govan does, though.

Thanks again for the music, and I'm really looking forward to the new album!

Kindest regards,
Louis
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for coming to the show! I tried the pick but it's too small for me - I'm always dropping my Fender Heavy picks so I probably shouldn't use anything smaller. I don't use the point of the pick, I use the top - it's much fatter sounding, almost as fat as using your finger.
Louis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so used to pick slanting that it feels a bit awkward using the top as it makes me approach the string at a parallel angle. I'm going to keep experimenting with it, though. Tone is more important than speed in my opinion.

I read you may tour Japan in 2019. I'll fly over to see one of the shows for sure if you do!
Alessandro_Iglesias

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Scott! How are you?

I still switch between pick models, sometimes using the way you use, sometimes using a thicker and smaller pick. In my case, a celluloid extra heavy white Fender pick is my choice, but, against 0.10 gauge, it gives me a sensation that I'm playing using a paper. In opposition, it's awesome for groovy things, what reminds me of you saying that you are much more of a legato player that a 'fast picker', like you called Peter Thorn during a GW episode. Love both 'worlds' but, man, I wish I could get more precision from these Fender picks.

My best wishes to all;

Alessandro.
MarkLawrence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott! Did you try the D'Andrea Pro Plec picks? A few years ago I tried a whole load of different picks and for a while settled on the white extra heavy Fender picks. However, I've since switched to the Pro Plec's and to my ear they are fatter & warmer sounding than the Fender ones which seemed to be a bit more aggressive sounding somehow. Thickness-wise they're not that different but it's amazing how these small things can make a difference!

As a result of listening to you and Bruce discuss picks on an early GuitarWank I switched to using the rounded corner of my pick most of the time... and man, what a difference! Thank you very much for that insight.

Best,
Mark
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried them but I'll grab one the next time I'm in a music store. I'm so used to Fender Heavy's, I doubt if I could get used to anything else. There's something about their texture that feels good - other picks I've tried feel slippery and I drop them. Old age...
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you drop your pick, I'd be likely to suggest that you put a little spot of glue, but if I remember well, you're not that good at using glue on your fingers Very Happy
TaeKwonDonut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have developed "Depends for the aging guitarist' - the exterior is tacky so that you can keep picks handy.. there's also a pill pocket and vibrating waistband to remind you to take those meds - looking for endorser - Ted Nugent turned me down, but suggested I take it to since you're such a big fan.
slyzspyz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of picks...

check out young Italian fingerstyle guitarist Matteo Mancuso, his technique seems to be a hybrid of classical and country (!)

There are some clips on his YouTube channel of solo transcriptions (including a Tribal Tech tune!) as well as performances from his fusion trio Snips, not sure how much of his own solos are improvised or preplanned, but he sounds great

https://www.youtube.com/user/frontpickup53/videos
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a badass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qBV7dPJaMw

God dammit! When I was that age I couldn't get through Brown Sugar without making mistakes. Get out of my fucking yard you kids!! Smile
countandduke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add my .02 FWIW. Back in the early 90’s, I had a fantastic teacher that encouraged me to try and find “My Pick”. So I got a bunch of different picks. I would eventually settle on a jazz III. BUT!!!! Even today, I still need to smoothe the edges because the way the picks are made, there’s an “edge”.

A couple years ago, the started making “Eric Johnson” Jazz III picks and they sound different than the other ones. I think Eric’s are made with nylon. I also like the Ultex Jazz III’s and the Petrucci Jazz III’s which are slightly larger than the regular ones.

They make the Ultex pickup in the Fender shape so Scott, you could try that material if you are up for it. I haven’t a/b’d the tone difference but I like the fact that the Ultex one has a pointier edge like a Jazz III. I LOVE playing legato lines with the Jazz III’s but playing rhythm is tough because the pick is so small which is why the pointy Ultex pickups are a nice option for me.

All the best everyone.
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Fender Heavy picks for about 40 years - why does everyone want me to change picks? Is there something wrong with my tone? It's like asking me to change from t-shirts to collars, or change my sexual preference (which would be smart considering my style of music).

I can play notes with the "top side" of a Fender Heavy which sound exactly like my fingers. I can't do it fast, but I like having a pick that's versatile for both tone and speed. I also like the material because it's not slippery. I've never liked the sound of nylon picks, but I haven't tried them all.

This thread gets a nerd factor rating of 80. Can't we talk about Scientology or something fun?
Thanasis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we have scientologists in Europe. We probably do, but I'm pretty sure there is not a word for it in Greek even though the term derives from the early-mid Indo-European languages. Didn't even know what it was.
Did some research and all I got was that a lieutenant with a complicated signature bombs the shit out of a probably imaginary Japanese ship, comes back sad and depressed, everyone is after him, he takes some morphine and creates a religion which is about knowing about knowing..
You don't need God or a preacher, just two live wires to hook yourself up to and boom, you know what you need to improve in your life. Is that the story?

Does it mean that knowing that you know nothing about scientology, it basically doesn't exist?

Nothing wrong with your sound BTW
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha! They'd be quite pissed at your description of them. They're a highly organized cult worth about $1.5 billion, which they got by charging people $250,000 at about $800 an hour to reach the top "levels", where those people are taught that ancient alien's ghosts live in our bodies and we need to get rid of them so we can be better people. I'm not making this up. Of course no one would believe that at first, but after months of intense brainwashing, their members are ready to believe anything they're told.

The organization is very litigious and paranoid - they investigate and research all the dirty secrets of their members so they can blackmail anyone who decides to leave, and there have been many. They blackmailed high officials at the IRS to obtain their tax-free status, which is still a huge controversy after many years. There's lot of information about them on the web - how other countries deal with them, their documented criminal activities, lawsuits, etc.

They're basically a very dangerous and poisonous cult - experts in the field of psychological brainwashing. Avoid them at all cost. See, wasn't that more fun than talking about picks?

Last edited by Scott Henderson on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Thanasis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some scary stuff. One of the very few things I am glad I can't afford. Not that I would have signed up, but just saying.

It is pretty messed up, I certainly didn't know it has such a large following. Had a quick look at the churches, we have one and apparently there is another one in Macedonia and Croatia. Who would've thought? No wonder Mr lieutenant has been characterized as one of the 100 most influential people of the U.S. I was a Lance corporal, do you think I'll get the chance to build an Xoticdancist church? You'll get your share Smile Bad joke, just kidding.

Here we only have some frantic right wing charlatans talking about aliens and the golden gates of doom somewhere in Nepal and the chemtrails, they've already stolen our money so they bombard us with their crap for free on TV. But that's another story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: