Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Scott answers your questions – round 9 - 12/5/04
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Scott answers your questions – round 9 - 12/5/04

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Answers Your Questions Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
StarShip Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Scott answers your questions – round 9 - 12/5/04 Reply with quote

Is there any chance that Scott will release any jazz standard albums like what Mike Stern does?

I found that Scott's line would be very tranditional jazz styled, it would be interesting if you would release a Jazz stadard album.

Quote:

Answered in #1

Hey SCott....thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. Here's a short one. How important was it for you to practice singing along witn your lines while improvising? Did you in fact do this and do you ever encourage your students to do the same?

Quote:

I thinks it's a good idea to do it, though at the volume I usually play I'd never hear myself. Also, I don't hear 100% of what I play because sometimes I try stuff that I have no idea of what it's gonna sound like. But when I play quietly at the house I sometimes sing along, out of tune of course.

Hey Scott,

Wondering if youve had any experience with Klein guitars, just ordered one after playin a buddy's and was totally in love with it instantly.

Quote:

Never tried one.

If you could give an aspiring musician any advice on beginning a performing career, could you give it to me?

Quote:

Don't just sit around practicing - that's only half of it. Get in a band as soon as possible and try to get a gig playing at least 5 nights a week, no matter what kind of music. Early on I always looked for cool musicians to play top 40 stuff with - people that realize it's just a money gig and don't take it too seriously. We'd play some dumb tune like "Cocaine" and when the dance floor filled up with drunks I'd solo for 15 minutes. I soloed more on those top 40 gigs than I do with my trio.

Hi Scott, I'm Ignacio Diaz from Chile (the producer of the Escuela Moderna de Musica).

I would like to know what do you think about Mick Goodrick's books, and the way you see and study the scales, arpeggios, intervals and chords in the guitar, maybe by positions or by set of strings, or a mix of them, or whatever.

Quote:

I think his books are really great. He has a very intelligent way of looking at the fingerboard.

Do you like some non tube amps?

Quote:

No

In your opinion, what's the distorsion box you prefer to play some more dist. stuff? maybe the analogman or keeley ds-1 or maxon sd-9?

Quote:

My favorite is the Maxon SD9

Did you ever tried some jazz box or a Scofield kind of guitar?

Quote:

No, I'm not interested in that sound for myself.

Thank you very much and hope the next year you could be playing in our School.

Quote:

Looking forward to coming to Chile again!

Hey Scott,

I'd like to ask you some questions like everybody else, but I don't speak Musician. So... the only thing I could come up with is this: What do you like on your pizza? Are you a thick or a thin crust man?   Thank You. (((Scott)))

Quote:

Mushrooms, extra cheese, thin crust.

1-Before you were married, who used to take care of your dogs when you were on the road?

Quote:

Friends or roommates.

2-You said that you turned down Miles to play with Zawinul- was that a significant loss in income for you? I heard Miles used to really take care of his musicians, and i figure even if Joe wanted to, he wouldn't be able to pay as well.

Quote:

Money's not a factor for me in those kinds of decisions.

3-If Kenny G offered you 10 grand to play on his next record, would you do it? Is there any amount of money that you would join his touring band for?

Quote:

No amount of money would make me play with that fucking douchebag.

4-Did you ever get into Zappa, either as a composer or guitar player?

Quote:

I liked some of his stuff, and I thought his playing was really cool.

5-What are 2 or 3 of your favorite movies?

Quote:

Too many favorites to name.

6-Any tips for staying inspired? I seem to have a problem with consistency- i play every day, and always want to, some days things just seem to "flow"; others i want to send my guitar back to John so he can re-cycle it. If you're having a "bad" day or gig, how do you try and cope with it?

Quote:

I try not to compare one gig or day with another. You're gonna have some bad and uninspired days - don't take them too seriously.

Hey Scott, I was wondering how you get your octafuzz sound so smooth sounding. Is it mixed in or modded somehow?

Quote:

No, it's stock. Maybe it's just the way I set it - I have the volume up almost all the way and the distortion down all the way. That's the typical setting for that pedal. Also, I have the tone rolled down on the guitar which makes any type of distortion sound fatter and smoother.

Also, your wah sound on lola fay is killer. Would would you mind sharing some tone tips on getting that sound. Thanks

Quote:

Answered in #1

my name is Nicolás... in what others albums or songs did you use the voodoo-1?? (besides the songs of Dog Party)

Quote:

Had to go through my notes to answer that one....

These songs are the Voodoo 1 by itself - Mocha, Harpoon, I Hate You (comping), You Get Off On Me (solo), That Hurts (with Tube Screamer in front of it), Lady P (with Tube screamer in front of it).

Hi Scott,

Just wanted to say thank you for the years of listening pleasure you have given me. I know that you will scoff when I ask of any chance of recording some standards on the next record (especially a ballad!), but I really enjoyed your treatment of "Giant Steps" - I would love to hear your interpretation of some more tunes from this great (ongoing) legacy of music. Again thanks for continuing to put out beautiful, challenging music - the tone you're getting keeps getting richer - "Lola Fay" and "Rituals" bring tears to my eyes.

Quote:

Thanks a lot, but answered in #1

Do you have any tips on how to get started in home recording or recording in general? Can you suggest any good books for starters...

Quote:

I guess that depends on how much money you want to spend. I don't know any books about it, but basically all you need for recording guitar is a fast Mac, an audio interface, a good mic preamp, and a Shure 57. I'd suggest finding a friend who's gotten into it to help you instead of a book.

Scott, I was wondering if you analize a tune or a solo that you transcript. If you do, how do you analize it?

Quote:

Well, that's the point of transcribing. If it's to learn composing, you need to analyze the chords and how they move. If it's to learn soloing, you need to first analyze the chords and then figure out which scales and chord tones are being used in the solo.

Hi Scott,

I'm wondering: I read that you used on the "Dog Party" album an ts-808 together with a matchless. Is the overdrive sound purely the ts-808 or do you combine the ts-808 with the overdrive of the matchless?

Quote:

Any time I use a distortion pedal it's always a combination of the pedal and amp distortion.

Do you still transcribe nowadays ? if yes, what do you transcribe ?

Quote:

Yes, I'm kind of an eternal student. When I hear stuff I like, I get curious about it and like to figure it out. I'm always hearing solos that interest me in some way.

Did/ do you use some kind of machine or a computer to slow down the music when transcribing a solo ?

Quote:

No I've always played it at normal speed. If it's fast, I'll just take it a few notes at a time.

Hi Scott, I read that at GIT you would have the students blow solos over standards. Which standards in your opinion should I start with? Let me know the exact artist and album if you would, and I will pick them up for sure. Also any scales or ideas (based on your approach) that could get me started in the right direction. Thanks, Eric

Quote:

Get a Real Book and buy any Coltrane or Miles album. I don't see a whole lot of difference in most of the older standards - they pretty much use diatonic harmony and lots of ii V I progressions. Listening to any of the famous improvisors playing any of the older standards will give you the info you're looking for.

Which SD9 is yours? Analogman, Original 80's, or other? Let me know what I should look for when I am purchasing a NICE SD9. Thanks again, Eric

Quote:

My favorite is the Maxon. I set it with the volume all the way up, the dist at about 2 'o clock and the tone all the way off.

Is there any news about your tour to Australia next year?

Quote:

Not yet - I'm working on it though.

Last edited by kirk95 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:01 am; edited 2 times in total
rainmkr63

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess Scott will not be going if Kenny G was playing at Catalina's Wink

These are great, Thanks!

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Answers Your Questions Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: