Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - 'Nomad'
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

'Nomad'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: 'Nomad' Reply with quote

Hi Scott, sorry to go over 'old' ground again but I'd love to read what you remember about putting together 'Nomad'. It's such an incredible, almost through-composed tune and I always discover something new each time I listen to it - I guess your starting point was that four-chord melody but how did you go about 'building' the composition from there? Did it involve a lot of sitting at the piano/synth?
Thank you,
Matt from London
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be no help at all, but I have no idea how I came up with that tune, and I'd have the same answer if you asked me about a tune from People Mover, which was last year.

Composing is more art than science, and I don't use much traditional music theory when I write. I basically sit there for hours and experiment until I come up with something I like. I think most composers would tell you the same thing. If I wanted to figure out what I did in one of my own tunes, I'd have to get the chart and analyze it, and consider the usual parameters - How much of the material is repeated, and when? When is new material introduced? How much of the chord progression is diatonic? What and when are the modulations? It's a scientific analysis which could help a student, but experienced composers don't spend much thought on it, just like when you talk, you don't think about verbs, nouns and adjectives - you just talk.

I could probably figure out some of the tools I used to write Nomad, but it would be the same as trying to figure out someone else's tunes, which I've done a lot. Transcription is the best teacher - it takes time, but it's worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: