Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Clapton Crossroads DVD
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Clapton Crossroads DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
intervallicdesign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Clapton Crossroads DVD Reply with quote

Just got this yesterday, and watched disc 2 last night, and i have a few observations/questions:

-First performer is named Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, and he was amazing! He plays this custom made guitar that has design elements of a sitar built in, and uses a slide. He was playing with a tabla player, and it was one of the freshest, most original things i've heard in quite some time.
-John McLaighlin plays a tune for Elvin Jones. Very cool, especially the setting: a trio, with him, a tabla player, and Dennis Chambers on drums!
Does anyone know what kind of guitar he was using? It was beautiful, and i've never seen anything like it.
-Larry Carlton played an instrumental version of "Josie", and he had an amazing sound!
-There was a Clapton track up next, and damn, it's nice to see he has something left in him besides duets with Babyface
-Robert Cray came on and killed! Watching this, i noticed a big similarity between Cray and Buddy Guy
-Johnny Lang played, and i was impressed; i hadn't heard any of his stuff, and i really liked the song, and the emotion of his playing
-a guy i never heard of, David Hidalgo, played, and while he was very good, i didn't think he was quite up to par with everyone else
-Steve Vai performs "I'm The Hell Outta Here", the same track that's on the "G3 in Denver" dvd, and while the tune does nothing for me, the level of musicianship in that band is truly terrifying. Musical masturbation at it's finest. One thing that's nice to see is Tony MacAlpine getting some exposure; i always thought he was a monster talent
-Eric Johnson plays "Desert Rose", and is his usual virtuosic self. This dvd would be worth having to me for this performance alone
Then there were a couple of Joe Walsh tracks, and a couple more by Clapton, but i kind of skipped through them, as after the Eric Johnson performance, it could only go downhill for me
-ZZ Top closed the show, and remain one of the coolest bands ever

Did anyone attend this festival? I'm curious as to how long each player's set was. If they got to play for an hour, it would nice to see some of these performances released in their entirety.
peace
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first disc is really cool, too. Doyle Bramhall II smokes his boss on Cocaine, and Robert Randolph is just wonderful. Didn't you think that they could've had a bit more of Carlton than just Josie. Great tone, great playing but too short, especially after McLaughlin wanks all over the place and nowhere in particular on the track before.
intervallicdesign

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the McLaughlin tune was a bit of a wankfest. And i don't get it either- they include 2 tracks of Joe Walsh and ZZ Top, but only one of Carlton, Vai, and Eric Johnson?
That's why i wrote that comment about them hopefully realeasing full sets by some of the artists.
peace
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Jeff Beck! What's up with that? Everybody raves about JB playing Cause We've Ended As Lovers with EC, and it's not on there. I imagine it has a lot to do with record company contracts. Is John Mayer on Warners? Because he's all over this thing, interview-wise, anyway.
spencer0960

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a rumor that there wasnt any metheny on the DVD. any truth to this? if so, im SEVERLY disappointed.

i dont understand the clapton infatuation. i was never huge into him and the only stuff of his i LOVE is cream and derek and the dominos (and thats a lot because of duane allman).

i dunno, im gonna stop myself here, i rant way too easily.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencer0960 wrote:
I heard a rumor that there wasnt any metheny on the DVD. any truth to this? if so, im SEVERLY disappointed.

Other than footage of him getting his picture taken with Santana, there's nothing. Clapton's apparently a big Metheney fan, so I guess it must be a record contract thing. Hopefully, Intervallic Design's right and there'll be more footage released later...but I doubt it Crying or Very sad
spencer0960

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got it for xmas. for the most part, I liked it. Im not a big Clapton fan (or Eric Johnson fan anymore) but it was still pretty cool.

I loved vai's set and, even though my tastes have moved on, EJ was pretty cool. John McL, was a tad wankish but oh well. Robert Randolph has been my dude for awhile now (IF YOU GET A CHANCE TO SEE HIM LIVE DO IT, NO SECOND THOUGHTS. most energetic show ive ever seen, youll have a great time) so no surprises there.

I just wish there was some metheny.
fusion58

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about buying this package just for Larry Carlton's performance.

Does Larry get to stretch quite a bit on the tune he plays?

Cool

P.S. Too bad Steve Lukather couldn't make it as originally planned.
UncleSalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusion58 wrote:

Does Larry get to stretch quite a bit on the tune he plays?

Barely a solo from memory. Lovely tone and great phrasing of the melody but I would have loved to have seen more actual blowing. Not the DVD to get for Larry Carlton.
pawel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Clapton Crossroads DVD Reply with quote

intervallicdesign wrote:
-a guy i never heard of, David Hidalgo, played, and while he was very good, i didn't think he was quite up to par with everyone else

I believe he's the guy from the band "Los Lobos" - they got big after re-recording Richie Valens' "La Bamba" for the film with the same title. Their album "Kiko" is highly recmmended as far as quality Rock music goes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: