Suhr :: View topic - Pickup Placement

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Pickup Placement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Pickup Placement Reply with quote

Can someone clear this up. On some Suhr modern's with the H-S-H pickup option that ive seen, sometimes the middle single coil is placed closer to the neck pickup? Is this done by request.

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
BRUNO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pickup Placement Reply with quote

greenfingers wrote:
Can someone clear this up. On some Suhr modern's with the H-S-H pickup option that ive seen, sometimes the middle single coil is placed closer to the neck pickup? Is this done by request.

You mean you have seen at least two different HSH Suhr with different middle pup placement ?
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pickup Placement Reply with quote

BRUNO wrote:
You mean you have seen at least two different HSH Suhr with different middle pup placement ?

I think i must be going nuts, i just had a look for some examples and all the modern's with H-S-H have the middle offset. i think it must be done to make room for the 24 frets by moving the neck pup back, But im sure i saw one with even spacing? i must have been looking at a standard. weird Question

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: going nuts NOT! Reply with quote

Here is a example of what I'm on about with the middle pickup placement. The first one is even spaced, and the second one has the single coil closer to the neck
http://gallery.me.com/suhrguitars#100746/8309-063008_01&bgcolor=black

http://gallery.me.com/suhrguitars#100793/8526-07302008_001&bgcolor=black

If you open both pic's in seperate tabs and flick from one to the other, you can see the pickup move possition.

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
Mouhsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: i see what you are saying but Reply with quote

After looking at both pictures, I can see why it seems like there is a difference.

However considering that they use CNC machines to cut the bodies. It should be the same, unless somebody specifically asks for a different position.
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: i see what you are saying but Reply with quote

Mouhsen wrote:
After looking at both pictures, I can see why it seems like there is a difference.

It's not that it seems different, it is different. But why ? like you say the CNC machine is accurate to 0.005" and the movement on that pickup looks around 6-8 mm. Maybe the movement of the single coil is a evolution for the modern guitar for sound reasons?

From what i can find modern's with H-S-H made for 6-8-08 were all even spaced, after that they all had the middle coil moved further forward. John, Mike, Ed, any info behind the reason for this change ?

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
Suhr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first batch were done so that the placement is correct as far as tone goes. In other words the middle pickup is in the same place it would be on a 3 single coil classic. We had a few complaints about how the correct placement looks since the Neck pickup obviously gets moved closer to the middle. So we now switched to where it looks correct and find that it really didn't hurt the tone.

This is one of the issues with a 24 fret guitar.
The first are a collectors item Wink
greenfingers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suhr wrote:
The first are a collectors item Wink

I only ask this because of the reason you state about "how it looks", So now all Modern's with H-S-H will be made even spaced? it's just that i thought they started that way, and only recentley the middle coil was moved foward. But in fact has been moved back.

I got a bit worried because i got a familly member to order a Modern with the H-S-H pickup config, and he would have been expecting the guitar to have even pickup spacing after the pic i showed him.

I'll be on the look out for the collectors item Suhr. Very Happy Thanks for clearing this up.

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
Ed Yoon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenfingers wrote:

I only ask this because of the reason you state about "how it looks", So now all Modern's with H-S-H will be made even spaced? it's just that i thought they started that way, and only recentley the middle coil was moved foward. But in fact has been moved back.

It did start out evenly spaced but we thought the middle pickup should be where the Strat middle pickup should be for the "correct sound", but then we decided it'd be better to go back to even spacing even though it's not the ideal location for the middle single-coil pickup.
greenfingers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ed, I guess them guitars will truly be a collectors item in the future after all ? Better get them while you can boys!

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: