Suhr :: View topic - Satriani sues Coldplay - did they really steal his music?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Satriani sues Coldplay - did they really steal his music?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant711uk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Satriani sues Coldplay - did they really steal his music? Reply with quote

The youtube mash up of Coldplay's 'Viva la Vida' and Satriani's 'If I could fly' has been around for a while now and Satch has decided to go for it and sue them.

I personally feel that they may well have unwittingly taken the melody and used it. Many people question whether the guys in Coldplay even know who Satriani is. However I reckon Brian Eno who produced the album knows exactly who he is and should have known what was going on. He has worked with Fripp who in turn has toured with Satch recently so unless they don't talk or have no interest at all in what each other is up to musically I'd lay the blame at Mr Eno if Satch is successful.

Tony
freedom's door

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt that Brian Eno sits around listening to Joe Satriani records Rolling Eyes

Having said that, i do see the similarity, but whether or not CP ripped of Joe is debatable Question
Ant711uk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not suggesting Eno listens to Satriani, but I'm pretty sure he is aware of who he is as he was collaborating with Fripp around the time he was on tour with Satch! Who'd have thought someone like Fripp would ever do a G3 tour anyway?

Coldplay fans seem to be saying they wouldn't even know who he is. Any serious guitar player in a top band must be aware of who's who! I find it hard to believe that nobody in Coldplay knows who Satriani is. My point is that as the producer Eno shapes the end result of a bands writing. If during the process of creating the album someone along the line had said 'you know what chaps that melody line sounds familiar, I'm not sure where I've heard it before but it's definitely out there somewhere' he should have at least thought about it before it went to mastering. If they genuinely 100% didn't know about it then it's real bad luck.

Satriani has been around for over 20 years, Coldplay have been around for just over 5 minutes and they're truly flavour of the moment. Whether they or their music lasts 20 years or not remains to be seen. I like both artists but in a situation like this someone has to be right.

I'm not sure whether it's Sony or Satriani filing the lawsuit? It'll be interesting to see what happens?
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a load of shit. If anyone is going to sue Coldplay it's gonna be "Alizee" and after that she' going after that chrome-dome Satriani. I bet in a few weeks time there will be someone trying to take her for all she's worth?

Alizee "Jen ai marre" 2003
Satriani "If i could fly" 2004
Coldplay " Viva la vida"2008

You be the judge http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z0qyL2KGLd0

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
Ant711uk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenfingers wrote:
This is a load of shit.

At the end of the day you're probably right, but either Satch or someone somewhere in the legal dept at his record company has gotten a bit uptight about it sounding a lot like one of his songs. The crux of it as I see it is the fact that the main melody/hook is the same and not just the chord progression as in the Alizee track.

Although they may well think it, I don't think Coldplays legal representative saying 'This is a load of shit' is going to swing it in court.
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant711uk wrote:
I don't think Coldplays legal representative saying 'This is a load of shit' is going to swing it in court.

I don't know, If OJ's legal team said that again maybe he would of got off with just a slap on the wrist instead of 15-30 years,... It worked the first time.

The hook is similar not the same. Coldplay have done this in the past, just like a lot of other artists before and after. "Speed of sound" has a passing resemblance to Kate Bush's "Running up that hill" I personally think Alizee's song has more things in common with there song than Joe's. i only hope he hasn't shot himself in the foot with this. The vast majority of people don't know who Joe Satriani is, I hope he wont be remembered as the guy who tried to sue Coldplay for publicity.

P.S i am not a Coldplay fan.

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant711uk wrote:
Although they may well think it, I don't think Coldplays legal representative saying 'This is a load of shit' is going to swing it in court.

Indeed...they're going to have try and quantify the term 'load' Shocked
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalkettle wrote:
Ant711uk wrote:

Indeed...they're going to have try and quantify the term 'load' Shocked

How about a running length of 6:26

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenfingers wrote:

How much is that in shovels?
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalkettle wrote:
greenfingers wrote:

How much is that in shovels?

Question That's one for the legal teams to fight out in court i guess, Maybe two? four?? no, My guess is three but don't hold me on that. Wink

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
Amber shimmer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Satriani sues Coldplay - did they really steal his music Reply with quote

Ant711uk wrote:
However I reckon Brian Eno who produced the album knows exactly who he is and should have known what was going on. He has worked with Fripp who in turn has toured with Satch recently so unless they don't talk or have no interest at all in what each other is up to musically I'd lay the blame at Mr Eno if Satch is successful.

Tony

Yeah, Eno knows Satriani's music for sure. No doubt about it. Very interesting...

Hey, here's a thread about this whole thing on another forum I frequent:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f27/satriani-sues-coldplay-84452.html

It could be interesting reading, as well. Smile

Personally, I doubt Coldplay stole it. They'd be pretty foolish if they did that. I just think they wrote a similar thing by coincidence. Smile
freedom's door

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this song was released before Satch's tune:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G57CgtX-BsI

I guess they should be suing him...
Ant711uk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a case too by the looks of it. It maybe a lesser case because Satriani hasn't used the extra chords in the second half of what is essentially a musical link. Whether they decide to do something about it is up to them. Coldplay however have taken a complete section of Satriani's hook and used it as the main part of the song.

Check out this document from Berklee, it shows what is needed to take action on copyright infringement. It also explains that the artist must either prove 'access' to the work ie: someone in that studio must have heard it or that it is so similar that an expert can deduce that it is simply a copy in what's called 'striking similarity doctrine'.

http://akamai.www.berkleemusic.com/assets/display/4061006/berklee_copyright_infringement.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: