Suhr :: View topic - Got my Ibanez neck back, scalloped!

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Got my Ibanez neck back, scalloped!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodwill559

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Got my Ibanez neck back, scalloped! Reply with quote

I posted this over at the Fracal Axe-Fx forum, and I wanted to share this with the Suhr board as well.

A few pics of my rga 121 with scalloped neck. It was shipped to Dean Cascione of DC custom guitars.

Everyone should try a scalloped neck; it's very cool. Click on the thumbnails for high res pics.

I really like it and the guitar plays much better now.

RG's come with jumbo frets, but it didn't feel like it. It just didn't play as smoothly as my Surh guitars, two of which have stainless steel frets and the third with nickel. Of course, Suhrs are in a different league.

At first, I considered a re-fret with stainless steel for the Ibby, but the fretboard was not all that smooth and dense as the boards on my Suhrs, and then I realized, hey let's use the Ibanez as an experiement and see what happens.

Bending notes is easier, single note vibrato is easier, chord vibrato is easier, chords and barre chords are easier. IMO, it doesn't make much difference on scale passages. Also, I don't do much sweeping or string skipping so I don't know how much is affects those techniques.

There is the perception of higher action because there is very little finger to wood contact, like walking a tight rope, but it's really not.

The Suhrs are still my go to guitars, but I'm thinking of sending the Ibby to Michael Tuttle for a fret level & dress; that might bring it up a notch closer to the Suhrs.

I'm even considering sending one of my Suhrs back to Mike Ponce for scalloping. Shocked
Trev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!

Did you see the pics of the scalloped fretboard that Mike Ponce had done?

It looked absolutely incredible!

Trev
goodwill559

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did see that. Mike has incredible skill; he's a true artist and craftsman.
Elydian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is legato clearer, does it take less force?
goodwill559

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elydian wrote:
Is legato clearer, does it take less force?

That's difficult to answer definitively. Either I haven't spent enough time with it to notice a difference, or there is no significant difference to detect.

But so far, the scalloped neck doesn't seem to make legato clearer or require less force.

I wish I could be more helpful. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: