Suhr :: View topic - Diference betwen pickups on my Suhr?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Diference betwen pickups on my Suhr?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traxid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Diference betwen pickups on my Suhr? Reply with quote

I have basswood standard with quilt maple top and maple/brazilian rosewood neck. Inside are SSH+ in the bridge, FL in the middle and DSV in the neck position. Guitar is a dream. It really plays great BUT I don't like my pickup configuration. They are very thin/clear sounding. My question is:

If I trade them for Aldrich set will I get tighter and beefier sound?

Thank you! Cool
greenfingers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Diference betwen pickups on my Suhr? Reply with quote

Traxid wrote:
I have basswood standard with quilt maple top and maple/brazilian rosewood neck. Inside are SSH+ in the bridge, FL in the middle and DSV in the neck position. Guitar is a dream. It really plays great BUT I don't like my pickup configuration. They are very thin/clear sounding. My question is:

Thank you! Cool

Very thin? thats almost the same spec's as my Suhr, only difference is i have a DSH+ and 60's lp

Raise the pickup height first befor you go ahead and change pickups for new ones, I found that pickup height has a massive effect on my Suhr, more than any of my other guitars.

Whit the E string depressed at the last fret raise the treble side of the humbuckers to about 1/20th and the bass side just under that, set the single coil to 3/32 treble side, 4/32 bass.

Custom Standard #9186
Custom Modern #9188
Traxid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried that already. I just don't like the sound of them.
izzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What signal chain | amp are you playing thru?
Suhr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Diference betwen pickups on my Suhr? Reply with quote

Traxid wrote:

Thank you! Cool

Very slightly but I don't believe in overwinding pickups too much. You loose frequency response and dynamics. What is the rest of your signal path?
orpheus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Diference betwen pickups on my Suhr? Reply with quote

Traxid wrote:

Thank you! Cool

Hello,
I'll go right to the point. I know what you mean about the (thin/clear sounding), honestly you could go through any pickup configuration with that guitar and you will not be happy. It happened to me. The problem is the saddles, believe it or not. Suhr SSH+ is great pickup IMO but the combination of the saddles and tone block that the wholes are no so deep like other bridges make the guitar sound thin. This is what I did to my Suhr. After spending so much time and money on trying different things I went ahead an bought Fender bent saddles, why? because they touch the strings twice( believe it or not that's the trick) then since they are to wide to fit all together on a GOTOH bridge I took them to a machine shop that luckily there is one 2 min away from my place and they narrowed them down for me. Now they fit perfectly and I have a very nice tone on my guitar. About the tone block I haven't done nothing about it because it's just too much trouble but since the holes are not deep as other bridge the length of the strings is longer causing more tension on them. That's why you see some people complaining about stiffness on some Suhr guitars. I don't want to sound that Im trashing the company. I still own $6000 worth on Suhr guitars. But to get to where I wanted has been a process. BTW I had an S3 basswood body+ mapple top with rosewood fingerboard.. I sold it because of the same problem... also basswood was not my favorite... why did I buy it? well some times you have to shoot blindly and see what you get.. that was my first Suhr and you know that if you don't have an authorized dealer near you, you know that you're in risk. That happens with anything.
I hope this help. I never shared this before here in the forum so. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: