Suhr :: View topic - Suhr Reactive Load noise?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Suhr Reactive Load noise?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisjdav

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Suhr Reactive Load noise? Reply with quote

I recently purchased the Suhr Reactive Load, and I have a question about the noise the unit emits, as well as the fan. I am playing through a 50watt Hiwatt set to 8ohms, and I connect it to the RL from the amps speaker output to the RL's input, and from the RL's unbalanced line into my audio interface and into my DAW etc. It seems to be the case that when I connect my amp through to the RL, I can faintly hear my guitar through the unit itself. Additionally, the internal fan seems to operate intermittently; going on-and-off when I play my guitar/there's signal.

My question is: are these things normal? It would be great not to be destroying any of these things!

Cheers,
kotsamanidis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to ask the same thing. I got a Reactive Load going into a 100watt Valveking head and I can hear the amp sound not only through the Reactive Load but through the amp head itself.

I don't know if this is normal or if it means I have a problem with the amp. I mean I expect to hear something out of the RL since it's dissipating all that energy but the sound coming form the amp itself is even louder.
strings4v

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Suhr Reactive Load noise? Reply with quote

chrisjdav wrote:
I recently purchased the Suhr Reactive Load, and I have a question about the noise the unit emits, as well as the fan. I am playing through a 50watt Hiwatt set to 8ohms, and I connect it to the RL from the amps speaker output to the RL's input, and from the RL's unbalanced line into my audio interface and into my DAW etc. It seems to be the case that when I connect my amp through to the RL, I can faintly hear my guitar through the unit itself. Additionally, the internal fan seems to operate intermittently; going on-and-off when I play my guitar/there's signal.

My question is: are these things normal? It would be great not to be destroying any of these things!

Cheers,

It is normal. Both of my amps (PWE EH & Badger 35) do that as well.
I mean the signal itself is getting amplified through the head after all... You would hear the same thing when you play through the head without a cabinet connected (Although, DO NOT DO IT)
Suhr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Suhr Reactive Load noise? Reply with quote

chrisjdav wrote:

Cheers,

Yes 100% normal, you can also hear the power tubes play along.
The fan has no external power so it will only run as voltage is applied by playing.
Thanks
thenizzle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does the same sound where you hear the amp through the SRL but it's very faint and distant. Like it is buried 10,000 leagues under the sea so it does not bother me. If my monitors are up loud enough I don't even hear it at all.

I have another issue my with SRL that is more serious.

I get a CLIPPING sound when trying to put a clean amp signal into it. It is not clipping the signal to my DAW, I am 100% positive of that. It was only recently I got the SRL and only recently I experimented with a clean sound.

The only way I can get it not to clip is if the gain on my amp (mesa single recto) is BARELY up and if I go to a super weak output pickup AND roll my guitar volume back. Then and only then can I get clean and not have this nasty clipping going on. It's like a scratchy/clipping/nasty sound - not pleasant at all.

I'm coming into my ad at -18db so it is not due to hitting anything too hard.

Anyone else have this problem?
Suhr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thenizzle wrote:
Mine does the same sound where you hear the amp through the SRL but it's very faint and distant. Like it is buried 10,000 leagues under the sea so it does not bother me. If my monitors are up loud enough I don't even hear it at all.

I have another issue my with SRL that is more serious.

I get a CLIPPING sound when trying to put a clean amp signal into it. It is not clipping the signal to my DAW, I am 100% positive of that. It was only recently I got the SRL and only recently I experimented with a clean sound.

The only way I can get it not to clip is if the gain on my amp (mesa single recto) is BARELY up and if I go to a super weak output pickup AND roll my guitar volume back. Then and only then can I get clean and not have this nasty clipping going on. It's like a scratchy/clipping/nasty sound - not pleasant at all.

I'm coming into my ad at -18db so it is not due to hitting anything too hard.

Anyone else have this problem?

It's impossible for the RL to cause clipping.
Try plugging a speaker in to the thru which would bypass the load and converts it to a simple line out.
Are you positive you are listening to 100% IR track and not monitoring the input in your DAW ? What impedance input are you using on the DAW.

Don't use mic input or anything lower than 10K
thenizzle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not the SRL it's just the amps and how clean is perceived. a guy you have never heard of named Pat Thron who mostly plays Ibanez guitars and Line6 spyder amps put a video up about it. (ha)

it does require a very very very low gain setting on a clean channel to not get what sounds like clipping. it's distortion on the clean sound that is not perceived through a speaker but when it's super clinical through studio monitors and a load box, the slightest breakup at all on a clean sound will appear like a clipping. its just the way it is, its not the box itself.

all my amps are high gain and not known for their amazing clean channels so i just back the gain off and roll the guitar back to get it super clean and then compress it. it's not the SRL.

i never noticed this on dirty/chunk because the tone is so over the top. if you try a 'clean' amp through srl it will appear like its clipping so u really have to clean the sound up and roll guitar back to not "clip".

and my interface is an audient id14 (amazing) using the TRS balanced line in which is >8K fed from xlr balanced out of the SRL.

in DAW group track i use mixir2 for the loader with mainly free impulses and on that bus channel strip in cubase I low pass at 120hz and high pass between 4k-6k depending on what i'm going for with any given impulse. getting some really great direct totally chunked out heavy as fack tones all thanks to the SRL. thanks for designing/building/selling such a product.

and for the Aldrich bridge pickup, too.

and the modern satin, hehe.

suhr fan boi, out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Amp Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: