Suhr :: View topic - SRL with dual cabinets 4ohm ok?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

SRL with dual cabinets 4ohm ok?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenizzle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: SRL with dual cabinets 4ohm ok? Reply with quote

head is mesa mark iv. normal setup is 8ohm out of mesa into SRL then the SRL thru goes to mesa 2x12 8ohm cab.

i just bought a mesa 1x12 cab and have an impedance Q now.

from what i read if a head has two 4ohm outputs, those should be used to drive each 8ohm cabinet.

if were i to use the parallel out feature from one cab to the other i would still use 4ohm output.

so is it SAFE to use the SRL with a 4ohm head output then the THRU of SRL to one of my mesa 8ohm cabs and the amps other 4ohm out to my other 8ohm cabinet?
Suhr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: SRL with dual cabinets 4ohm ok? Reply with quote

thenizzle wrote:
head is mesa mark iv. normal setup is 8ohm out of mesa into SRL then the SRL thru goes to mesa 2x12 8ohm cab.

i just bought a mesa 1x12 cab and have an impedance Q now.

from what i read if a head has two 4ohm outputs, those should be used to drive each 8ohm cabinet.

if were i to use the parallel out feature from one cab to the other i would still use 4ohm output.

so is it SAFE to use the SRL with a 4ohm head output then the THRU of SRL to one of my mesa 8ohm cabs and the amps other 4ohm out to my other 8ohm cabinet?

If you plug in to the Thru of the RL you are not using the RL as a Load.
The Load is whatever you plugged in to the Thru, so at that point you are only using the RL as a line out. Is this your intent?

Did I understand the question correctly?

But for reference usually an amp has the impedance tap marked even if two jacks, so if the amp says 4ohm and has two jacks that is to plug two 8 ohm cabinets in to since they will be in parallel and will be a total load of 4 ohms.
thenizzle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I phrased my question crappily.

Head is Mesa Mark IV with 3 speaker outs:
4ohm
4ohm
8ohm

My main cabinet for a decade now has been a Mesa Recto 2x12 horizontal 8ohm.

My normal setup would be Mark IV 8ohm speaker out to SRL IN then I use the XLR of SRL to my interface and the THRU jack I connect to my 8 ohm 2x12 recto cabinet. When recording I pull the cable out of the THRU of the SRL and just leave it hanging close by. When riffing and writing I like to play through the cab so I plug the THRU cable back in. That has been how I've been doing it and it's real nice.

Days ago, I took in a brand new Mesa Mini Rectifier 1x12 cabinet that is also 8 ohm and I want to use both cabs at same time. So if I did not have the SRL it's a no brainer: take each 4ohm mark iv speaker out to each 8 ohm cabinet.

Another option (since both cabinets have that parallel out feature) I could run a single 4ohm out of the head into cabinet #1 and then link cabinet #2 via the parallel out. All of this is "safe" from what I have read. I've done this and it sounds killer.

So my main question now is since the SRL is 8ohm, can I SAFELY run a 4ohm speaker out of my mark iv head to the SRL input then connect the THRU of SRL to cabinet #1 and link cab #1 to cab #2 using the parallel out? If that is "safe" then I should also be able to run the 4ohm out of head to SRL/THRU to cab #1 and the second 4ohm from head to cab #2.

OR (haha) do I need to play it ultra safe and ONLY use the 8OHM output of my mesa head to the SRL and if I want to play "live" just disconnect the SRL completely and use the 4ohm outs of head to each cabinet.

Sorry for the long question. I don't want to F up this Mark IV.
Suhr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you plug a cabinet in to the SRL "Thru" you are disconnecting the 8 ohm load entirely and the amp will only be loaded by the cabinet, the line out will be the only thing working and it is not sensitive to impedance.
Your amp will be loaded by what is connected to the thru.

FYI when you have 2 - 4 ohm outs they are in parallel but I think you understand that.

If you are using the 2 cabs. You should plug them each in to the 4 ohm jacks since that is a total load of the two cabinets. When using the Reactive load you will unplug those and plug the RL in to the 8 ohm.
You wouldn't hurt the amp using an 8 ohm load on the 4 but it won't be an optimized load tonally, I understand it isn't as easy switching back an forth but unless you use a good custom cabinet switcher there isn't an easy solution here.
You might find you don't really care for 3 speakers? One might take more load than the other.

thenizzle wrote:
Seems I phrased my question crappily.

Head is Mesa Mark IV with 3 speaker outs:
4ohm
4ohm
8ohm

My main cabinet for a decade now has been a Mesa Recto 2x12 horizontal 8ohm.

My normal setup would be Mark IV 8ohm speaker out to SRL IN then I use the XLR of SRL to my interface and the THRU jack I connect to my 8 ohm 2x12 recto cabinet. When recording I pull the cable out of the THRU of the SRL and just leave it hanging close by. When riffing and writing I like to play through the cab so I plug the THRU cable back in. That has been how I've been doing it and it's real nice.

Days ago, I took in a brand new Mesa Mini Rectifier 1x12 cabinet that is also 8 ohm and I want to use both cabs at same time. So if I did not have the SRL it's a no brainer: take each 4ohm mark iv speaker out to each 8 ohm cabinet.

Another option (since both cabinets have that parallel out feature) I could run a single 4ohm out of the head into cabinet #1 and then link cabinet #2 via the parallel out. All of this is "safe" from what I have read. I've done this and it sounds killer.

So my main question now is since the SRL is 8ohm, can I SAFELY run a 4ohm speaker out of my mark iv head to the SRL input then connect the THRU of SRL to cabinet #1 and link cab #1 to cab #2 using the parallel out? If that is "safe" then I should also be able to run the 4ohm out of head to SRL/THRU to cab #1 and the second 4ohm from head to cab #2.

OR (haha) do I need to play it ultra safe and ONLY use the 8OHM output of my mesa head to the SRL and if I want to play "live" just disconnect the SRL completely and use the 4ohm outs of head to each cabinet.

Sorry for the long question. I don't want to F up this Mark IV.
thenizzle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the excellent explanation.
thenizzle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am going to stick with the single 2x12 cabinet and use the 1x12 on a diff head. you were right, something about mixing two cabs just doesnt quite do it right.

maybe if one of them was way on other side of room. and i had some 80's lukather crazy ass spread delay thing going. thanks again for the help with my q's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Amp Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: