Suhr :: View topic - Not liking the SSH+ in my S4. New pickup advice please

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Not liking the SSH+ in my S4. New pickup advice please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Toneking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Not liking the SSH+ in my S4. New pickup advice please Reply with quote

Loving this guitar now, but not jiving with the SSH+. Basswood body/maple top/maple neck and it just sounds dull and mushy. I love the SSH+ in my modern satin but not in the S4.

What would be a good alternative pickup within the Suhr lineup? I play rock, modern country stuff.

Thanks
Suhr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Not liking the SSH+ in my S4. New pickup advice please Reply with quote

Lord Toneking wrote:
Loving this guitar now, but not jiving with the SSH+. Basswood body/maple top/maple neck and it just sounds dull and mushy. I love the SSH+ in my modern satin but not in the S4.

What would be a good alternative pickup within the Suhr lineup? I play rock, modern country stuff.

Thanks

What is the amp and speakers and what style of music?
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into your amp setting first before blowing out cash and time to install a new pup. I only ever replace pickup if there's something I dislike that I can't get rid of with amp settings.

I also have an S4 that used to have an SSH+. It wasn't a bad pickup but it wasn't exactly what I wanted for that spectacular guitar. My amp at the time also didn't exactly complement the SSH+ that well. I installed an SSV and now it's been my #1 ever since.

If you play just rock and modern country the SSV might suit you well? I also tried an SSV+ and it's great too. Not sure what amp you have because I'd say that's #1 most important when it comes to getting your pickup to sound right but if you have a nice modern high gain amp with plenty of EQ control you shouldn't have problem with getting the SSV to cover everything from country to even classic metal.
Lord Toneking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

The amp is a Splawn Quickrod and I also use a Fractal AX8 for some shows depending on the size of the venue...and my mood at the time.

Like I said, I love the SSH+ in my modern, but it's a totally different guitar (mahogany body/neck, rosewood fretboard). It's tight, focused, and clear in that guitar but kinda muddy and blah in the S4 :-/
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried adjusting the pickup height? Sounds like you've got a case of misconfigured pickup height actually.

While pickups do sound a bit different across different guitars, for it to sound like polar opposites from your description is not all that likely, unless the the height adjustment is drastically different.
Lord Toneking

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried raising and lowering the pickup. Right now it's at what the Suhr specs call for.

Another thing it does is bloom into crazy feedback so easily while my modern with the exact pickup does not. It reacts like it is a semi-hollow bodied guitar. It's just weird
brokenvail

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSV, SSV + or maybe thornbucker+
Manxmofo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to stick with Suhr pickups then the thornbucker is getting rave reviews but if you're willing to outside of suhr I would recommend the bareknuckle crawler. It's a lovely sounding pickup that's designed for hss guitars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: