Suhr :: View topic - Custom order - possible?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 
 

 
 
 
Custom order - possible?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
duartepapel



Joined: 09 Sep 2017
Posts: 5
Location: Portugal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Custom order - possible? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of ordering a Suhr Custom, based on the classic pro model.

I would like to get your opinions on wether my specs would be viable or not...

- Roasted Maple body + roasted maple neck.

- The guitar colour would be the classic non metallic fiesta red.

- I was wondering if its possible to get my name written in the an ebony fingerboard with mother Pearl. can someone confirm if this is possible?

- 24 fret neck.

- 9-12" compound radius.

- Even C neck profile.

If any of the options isn't viable, can you suggest me any alternative??

Thank you guys in advance Smile
_________________
Guitars are life, Music is Heaven
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
qwe200



Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 246

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like it would be an easy build. Just be sure it's what you want because you would have to sell if for pennies on the dollar with your name on the neck. Unless your name happens to be Lukather, Satriani or Van Halen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joee



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Posts: 98

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a maple body guitar but I imagine it would be a heavy guitar. Also quite bright sounding.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duartepapel



Joined: 09 Sep 2017
Posts: 5
Location: Portugal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping it's not that heavy, since its roasted maple i'm talking about, but i guess i'll get some feedback from JS before ordering anything...
_________________
Guitars are life, Music is Heaven
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duartepapel



Joined: 09 Sep 2017
Posts: 5
Location: Portugal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwe200 wrote:
Seems like it would be an easy build. Just be sure it's what you want because you would have to sell if for pennies on the dollar with your name on the neck. Unless your name happens to be Lukather, Satriani or Van Halen.


I'm not too worried about that... Since it's a Suhr instrument, i'm not planning on selling it, ever Very Happy

Anyway, any experience on ebony fingerboards + maple necks?
_________________
Guitars are life, Music is Heaven
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaeniusZ



Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a guitar that's maple neck with ebony board. It's great.

You say it's based on a CLASSIC Pro though? Not sure what you mean by that because the only 24 fret models that Suhr will do are the Moderns. So you can get a Custom Modern with all the specs you mentioned, but it definitely wouldn't look like a Classic, so no pickguard.

Suhr used to do custom inlays, I don't know if they still do, you probably want to check with customer service.

Maple body but since it's roasted... it'll probably be around 8 pounds? If you're ok with that weight then go for it. Maple is extremely hard, especially roasted, so the body will probably be indestructible haha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duartepapel



Joined: 09 Sep 2017
Posts: 5
Location: Portugal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaeniusZ wrote:
I have a guitar that's maple neck with ebony board. It's great.

You say it's based on a CLASSIC Pro though? Not sure what you mean by that because the only 24 fret models that Suhr will do are the Moderns. So you can get a Custom Modern with all the specs you mentioned, but it definitely wouldn't look like a Classic, so no pickguard.

Suhr used to do custom inlays, I don't know if they still do, you probably want to check with customer service.

Maple body but since it's roasted... it'll probably be around 8 pounds? If you're ok with that weight then go for it. Maple is extremely hard, especially roasted, so the body will probably be indestructible haha


Yeah i already obtained that information via customer service, but thanks man Very Happy

I can't have a 24 fret neck on the classic pro model, neither a roasted maple body...

Having that in mind, i think i will go the classic alder body with a roasted maple neck and ebony fingerboard.

I still have doubts if i want a more "fast playing" 10-14'' compound neck or a more chordy 9-12'' ... Im kinda of a fast economy picking player, but i'm trying to raise my voice leading/chord vocabulary a LOT, so i can achieve a style more like Eric Johnson... So in that regard i guess the 9-12'' would be better
Any opinions/experience on that?



PS: I do hear though, that ebony is kinda forbidden due to it's overexploration, don't know if Suhr will be able to get an ebony fingerboard...
_________________
Guitars are life, Music is Heaven
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaeniusZ



Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Posts: 144

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned and played a bunch of guitars with different fingerboard radii

9 to 12

10 to 14

straight 12

straight 14

straight 16

10 to 16

12 to 14

straight 10

straight 7.25

None of them, besides the very ridiculous 7.25, made any difference in my opinion. You feel a slight difference when bending and playing low barre chords and open chords, but if you're looking into more exotic chords higher up the neck like Eric Johnson does... I didn't feel any difference at all, at least nothing that you won't adjust to in 3 minutes.

The only one that stood out was the 7.25: good for open chords, good for low complex jazz and barre chords... but bending was unpleasant to say the least
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duartepapel



Joined: 09 Sep 2017
Posts: 5
Location: Portugal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaeniusZ wrote:
I have owned and played a bunch of guitars with different fingerboard radii

9 to 12

10 to 14

straight 12

straight 14

straight 16

10 to 16

12 to 14

straight 10

straight 7.25

None of them, besides the very ridiculous 7.25, made any difference in my opinion. You feel a slight difference when bending and playing low barre chords and open chords, but if you're looking into more exotic chords higher up the neck like Eric Johnson does... I didn't feel any difference at all, at least nothing that you won't adjust to in 3 minutes.

The only one that stood out was the 7.25: good for open chords, good for low complex jazz and barre chords... but bending was unpleasant to say the least


Thanks a lot for your feedback Smile
_________________
Guitars are life, Music is Heaven
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB ©