Suhr :: View topic - Painting a Modern Satin?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Painting a Modern Satin?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exodus5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Painting a Modern Satin? Reply with quote

I already contacted Suhr about sending it in for a refinish and they said they won't refinish the satin pros. I don't mind the feel, but the natural color is not very attractive. I know, I should have found another color but I got a deal on this one so I bought it.
My questions....why won't Suhr refinish these? It isn't really that much harder than one that already has finish.
#2 - I know it will void the warranty if I have it refinished by someone else, so do you think it is worth it? I would be happy just to have it a darker mahogany color, but will probably go with an opaque color just to make it simple.
Suhr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Painting a Modern Satin? Reply with quote

Exodus5 wrote:
I already contacted Suhr about sending it in for a refinish and they said they won't refinish the satin pros. I don't mind the feel, but the natural color is not very attractive. I know, I should have found another color but I got a deal on this one so I bought it.
My questions....why won't Suhr refinish these? It isn't really that much harder than one that already has finish.
#2 - I know it will void the warranty if I have it refinished by someone else, so do you think it is worth it? I would be happy just to have it a darker mahogany color, but will probably go with an opaque color just to make it simple.

1) Refinishing a guitar is more work that finishing it in the first place. Essentially it is easier for us to cut a new body. Then it requires a complete rebuild. When you figure out that most of the build is labor then it becomes more apparent. If I gave you the true cost of what we would have to charge it would insult you.
The satin finish is thinner than the under coat and does not totally fill the grain so the whole body needs to be sanded back to wood which is more work than sanding for finish in the first place.

2) Anything not affected by the repaint (neck) would still be under warranty but obviously nothing you as the end user modify can be covered by us. Then you have the issue which has happened before that the person who repaints could damage the guitar and then what do you have ? We have seen this happen. Recently a person stripped a guitar, damaged it, then asks us for a new body. The cost was more than 1/2 the original guitar cost so he purchased the guitar from the customer. It is a huge risk but if you use anyone you could try Pat Wilkins.
http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/finishing.htm
Exodus5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I was already thinking the very thin satin finish wouldn't suffice for a sealer and that the painter would have to start almost from scratch. This guitar rings so well that I'm actually more worried about how the paint might affect the sound. I know it's an electric guitar, but I feel like it would probably make some sort of difference.
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone asked the same question over at the Tom Anderson forum the other day and Tom replied with the exact same answer as John did here. Refinishing is a huge piece of work that's also extremely costly and dangerous.

If I were you I'd just hang on to the guitar and just keep checking for good deals on another color of the same guitar. And then you can do a trade or buy the other one and sell this one.

Best part is that you don't have to ever risk destroying the guitar or have to deal with not being able to play it while it's being refinished (that shit takes FOREVER)
Suhr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exodus5 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I was already thinking the very thin satin finish wouldn't suffice for a sealer and that the painter would have to start almost from scratch. This guitar rings so well that I'm actually more worried about how the paint might affect the sound. I know it's an electric guitar, but I feel like it would probably make some sort of difference.

Doesn't work that way, In fact we MUST sand down to get all the paint off or there could be delamination with the new coats of paint to anything underneath that it won't have an actual mechanical adhesion to (needs scratches to grab one to), so if it is shiny or not scratched deep in a pore, its an issue.
Exodus5

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I'll find out how well the paint holds up....
[url=https://flic.kr/p/V8XwQc]
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that seems to have turned out pretty good!

How much did it cost
qwe200

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: