Suhr :: View topic - Power Scaling less effective in new Badger 18?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Power Scaling less effective in new Badger 18?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ollix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Power Scaling less effective in new Badger 18? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm currently testing the 2017 model of the Badger 18 (with the 1x12 Suhr cab), and while I'm excited by its sound I'm not quite sure if the Power Scaling is working correctly.

In some Youtube vids of the old Badger 18 it is shown that you can bring it easily down to bedroom or whisper levels. But with my model, it is almost impossible to drive it that quiet. Even at very low settings (Power 0, Drive 2, Gain 7) I get levels of 85 to 90 db in 1 meter distance, which is way to loud for an appartment building. I have to bring the Drive knob almost to 0 to get really low volumes but thats very fiddly and not practical for daily use.

So, is it normal that the new Badger has a less effective Power Scaling or may my gear have a flaw? The thing is, there is also a loose nut from the trafo-mounting in the amp cage of my model and the trafo is humming loudly. So I'm sending it back to my dealer anyway, but I'm not sure if the Power Scaling is damaged too.

Thanks for any help,
Oliver
Suhr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Scaling less effective in new Badger 18? Reply with quote

Ollix wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently testing the 2017 model of the Badger 18 (with the 1x12 Suhr cab), and while I'm excited by its sound I'm not quite sure if the Power Scaling is working correctly.

In some Youtube vids of the old Badger 18 it is shown that you can bring it easily down to bedroom or whisper levels. But with my model, it is almost impossible to drive it that quiet. Even at very low settings (Power 0, Drive 2, Gain 7) I get levels of 85 to 90 db in 1 meter distance, which is way to loud for an appartment building. I have to bring the Drive knob almost to 0 to get really low volumes but thats very fiddly and not practical for daily use.

So, is it normal that the new Badger has a less effective Power Scaling or may my gear have a flaw? The thing is, there is also a loose nut from the trafo-mounting in the amp cage of my model and the trafo is humming loudly. So I'm sending it back to my dealer anyway, but I'm not sure if the Power Scaling is damaged too.

Thanks for any help,
Oliver

The Power doesn't go down quite as far in voltage but should go down plenty for very quiet playing. This was done to make it more forgiving in the setting and I don't recommend putting the power on 0 really anyway since it will get fizzy especially with the boost in. It really shouldn't be "way too loud" but if you really want the old taper there is a resistor that can simply be removed
Ollix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Scaling less effective in new Badger 18? Reply with quote

Suhr wrote:

The Power doesn't go down quite as far in voltage but should go down plenty for very quiet playing. This was done to make it more forgiving in the setting and I don't recommend putting the power on 0 really anyway since it will get fizzy especially with the boost in. It really shouldn't be "way too loud" but if you really want the old taper there is a resistor that can simply be removed

Thanks for your reply, Mr. Suhr, much appreciated. If I understand you correctly, only one restistor has to be removed to restore the Power Scaling of the old Badger? I'm might be interested in that solution. Since I'm already in contact with Jacob from your customer service, we can discuss it via email how to achieve that modification.

By the way, would you say that loud trafo hum is normal for the Badger, or may it result from the loose nut of the trafo mounting in my model?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Amp Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: