Suhr :: View topic - Pre-purchase info on Suhr Reactive Load needed

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Pre-purchase info on Suhr Reactive Load needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adiaz7531

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Pre-purchase info on Suhr Reactive Load needed Reply with quote

Hey John!

I’m in the market for a Reactive Load for my DAW rig and since I dont have a local dealer in my near by area for either the Suhr Reactive Load or your closest competition, I’m hoping you can tell me why yours is the better choice. I know yours cost more and doesn’t have all the “features” of the other box but I want the best box for my needs.

What’s your sales pitch? Thanks in advance!!
Suhr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase info on Suhr Reactive Load needed Reply with quote

adiaz7531 wrote:
Hey John!

I’m in the market for a Reactive Load for my DAW rig and since I dont have a local dealer in my near by area for either the Suhr Reactive Load or your closest competition, I’m hoping you can tell me why yours is the better choice. I know yours cost more and doesn’t have all the “features” of the other box but I want the best box for my needs.

What’s your sales pitch? Thanks in advance!!

If you looked at my impedance curve compared to others you would find it very accurately does the job of matching the impedance curve of a real cabinet especially compared to other options.

We sent 3 units to Celestion after Pete Thorn told them about ours and the Celestion engineers said,

"We’ve been really impressed by it, it genuinely sounds identical to using a guitar cabinet as a load – and it looks fantastic. I had previously built an ISO cab purely for this purpose, having had issues with similar products, so this provides a great solution. It’s the only load box we’ve recommended in our literature for the IRs."

Celestion uses it for their IR testing, their IRs are some of the best, I'd say that is a pretty good endorsement.
adiaz7531

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! Thanks for the reply!!
adiaz7531

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John

I just picked up your Reactive Load and am wondering which is the best or preferred way of interfacing this unit with a Pro Tools rig.

So far, ive plugged the balanced out into an Avalon M-5 mic pre which I have inserted into a channel of my A/D interface(192 I/O). I have the knob on the Reactive Load at 12 o’clock.

I also tried just taking the balanced out of the RL into a channel insert of the 192 I/O. I find that I really have to “crank” the knob on the RL to get into the same ballpark of using a mic pre. Is this normal? I remember seeing a demo video on a rival Load Box and they suggested that you never go past the noon position.

Thanks in advance!!
Suhr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adiaz7531 wrote:
Hey John

I just picked up your Reactive Load and am wondering which is the best or preferred way of interfacing this unit with a Pro Tools rig.

So far, ive plugged the balanced out into an Avalon M-5 mic pre which I have inserted into a channel of my A/D interface(192 I/O). I have the knob on the Reactive Load at 12 o’clock.

I also tried just taking the balanced out of the RL into a channel insert of the 192 I/O. I find that I really have to “crank” the knob on the RL to get into the same ballpark of using a mic pre. Is this normal? I remember seeing a demo video on a rival Load Box and they suggested that you never go past the noon position.

Thanks in advance!!

You should just go straight in to the interface, line or instrument in.
Do not use a mic input.
You can put the level anyplace you want which matches your system and will depend on how loud the amp is turned up but check the gain structure in the software, I usually just use the instrument input on a Apollo.
Try not to plug in to anything lower than 10K input impedance.

If you have any questions please contact customer support
Thanks
Suhr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adiaz7531 wrote:
Hey John

Thanks in advance!!

Do not use a mic input.
add your IR and make sure you are only monitoring the IR channel not the input.
You can put the level anyplace you want which matches your system and will depend on how loud the amp is turned up but check the gain structure in the software, I usually just use the instrument input on a Apollo.

Thanks
adiaz7531

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suhr wrote:
adiaz7531 wrote:
Hey John

Thanks in advance!!

Do not use a mic input.
add your IR and make sure you are only monitoring the IR channel not the input.

Thanks

Thanks!

I have a question or two about your response; I believe the instrument input/Hi-Z will still run that signal thru the Apollo’s preamp so the level can be raised to a usable signal. I have a similar preamp for my Pro Tools rig which has two Hi-Z inputs which can be used as unbalanced instrument or balanced line level. The line input impedance is 15K and the DI input impedance is 1.5M. The Mic input impedance is 1.5K
I’m guessing your not trying to avoid sending the the Reactive Load’s output to a preamp, just avoiding the lower input impedance of balanced Mic signal.

I also could try bypassing the use of preamp completely by using a balanced female XLR to TT bantam plug cable into a patchbay which can be sent directly to an A/D channel. This sounds like overkill though.

Overall, I think I preferred the tone of the line’s input impedance of 15K over that of the DI’s 1.5M input impedance although it was definitely “louder/more robust”

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: