Suhr :: View topic - African Okoume

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ† †SearchSearch† †MemberlistMemberlist† †UsergroupsUsergroups† †RegisterRegister

African Okoume

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HiOctane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: African Okoume Reply with quote

I see that the Modern and Modern T Satin are both made from African Okoume; here is the description from the Suhr website:

[quote]African Okoume has pleasant highs, strong mids, and balanced lows which makes it a popular choice among rock players for its thick, focused tone that cuts well in a mix. Itís slightly brighter and more open than traditional Mahogany.[/quote]

I have always found John's assessment of wood tones and combinations to be extremely helpful and very accurate to my ears.

However, since this is a new wood that I have not had a chance to play - and I have heard some contradictory tone evaluation such as "similar to hard maple" - I am curious to hear from anyone who has experience with the Satin models or this wood in general.
Lord Toneking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a modern satin and it's probably the best sounding guitar I own. Aesthetically not the most beautiful of guitars, but it definitely has some special mojo going on. I'm typically not a fan of the SSH+ pickups, but in this guitar it's perfect imo.

I just bought a bengal burst modern T24 and am very excited to get my hands on it. Should be here next week! It's also okoume
HiOctane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Any thoughts on the particular tonal characteristics of your guitar, or does it basically line up with the Suhr description?
Lord Toneking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is thick sounding and is tight and focused. The highs are pleasant and not harsh but cut well.

I really suck at describing tone because the tone I hear has to translate to how it 'feels'. But I guess that's why I like the guitar so much, because it just 'feels' good to my ears. Make sense? Nothing jumps at me with it like ice picky highs, scooped mids, or muddy/flubby low end. It's very well rounded
HiOctane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That description makes sense to me. Helpful.

And yes, I understand what you mean by "feel." When I play a guitar, the way the notes and chords bloom and their attack is an important component of my overall perception of the sound. If it reacts and resonates the way I expect it to, that typically translates to a tone that works for me.
socalplayer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: My take on the Suhr Modern African Okoume wood Reply with quote

I bought a new Suhr Modern today and tested it on clean and dirty channels with different EQ settings that I use as standard baseline tests for all my guitars. It sounds quite varied with nice Strat fender like chimey highs on clean channel and good crunch on the distortion channel or with OD pedal enabled. The best part is how I can get clear notes even on distortion compared to other guitars that sound muddy. It is perfect shred guitar for me to advance.
HiOctane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Okoume Reply with quote

Excellent information, thanks for sharing your tonal observations.

Sounds like a new tone wood that is going to gain traction.
6h057

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ported 112 made from the stuff. I'd say thats all accurate from my experience with guitars and my cab. I'd say that it is a mid focused wood, but nice low mid there too. The top seems a little smoother. Like the difference between a greenback and a V30. V30 being the analog to maple here with that sharp high mid resonant peak.
HiOctane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, another helpful comparison. From what I'm hearing, sounds like okoume kind of sits between mahogany and korina - maybe leaning a bit towards korina.
6h057

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely more towards Limba/Korina.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: