Suhr :: View topic - Suhr humbuckers polarity and wiring

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 
 

 
 
 
Suhr humbuckers polarity and wiring

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
radiognome



Joined: 15 Aug 2017
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Suhr humbuckers polarity and wiring Reply with quote

I have a few questions regarding some Suhr pickups I bought.

I'm wiring an HSH guitar with SSH+, ML and SSV.

which wires are to be connected to the superswitch terminal in order to split the screw coil of the SSH+, which ones are splitting the slug coil?

what is the polarity of screw vs. slug in Suhr bridge pickups? i.e. slug - north. is it the same as in Suhr neck pickups?

is there a difference in sound between slug and screw coils if they're essentially the same (except for placement)

what I actually want to do, is to split the outside coil of the neck (closest to the neck) and the outside coil of the bridge (closest to the bridge) which are both screws.


Thank you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suhr



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2127

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Suhr humbuckers polarity and wiring Reply with quote

radiognome wrote:
I have a few questions regarding some Suhr pickups I bought.

I'm wiring an HSH guitar with SSH+, ML and SSV.

which wires are to be connected to the superswitch terminal in order to split the screw coil of the SSH+, which ones are splitting the slug coil?

what is the polarity of screw vs. slug in Suhr bridge pickups? i.e. slug - north. is it the same as in Suhr neck pickups?

is there a difference in sound between slug and screw coils if they're essentially the same (except for placement)

what I actually want to do, is to split the outside coil of the neck (closest to the neck) and the outside coil of the bridge (closest to the bridge) which are both screws.


Thank you!



Slug and screw sides do sound different. You can do it, the wiring is the same as a Duncan, to split to the bridge coil of the bridge pickup you wire it inside out. Black and green together and go to ground for the split, I think white will be ground and red hot (or reversed) but I'm not at the shop and usually check my memory on a meter Wink But for the record the neck coil sounds fuller and better IMO. If you want a wiring diagram we might have one on file for what you want, ask CS, thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
radiognome



Joined: 15 Aug 2017
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Suhr humbuckers polarity and wiring Reply with quote

Suhr wrote:

Slug and screw sides do sound different. the neck coil sounds fuller and better IMO.


That's good because that's the coil I intend to split. but what about the bridge? which one is "fuller"? screw or slug? or I can take the notion the screw coils in Suhr humbuckers are stronger? (which is odd because the HBs are humcanceling)

with the wiring attached, I'll be splitting the slug coil on the bridge, right? is it the more desired sound? or should I split screw instead?

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suhr



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2127

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Suhr humbuckers polarity and wiring Reply with quote

radiognome wrote:
Suhr wrote:

Slug and screw sides do sound different. the neck coil sounds fuller and better IMO.


That's good because that's the coil I intend to split. but what about the bridge? which one is "fuller"? screw or slug? or I can take the notion the screw coils in Suhr humbuckers are stronger? (which is odd because the HBs are humcanceling)

with the wiring attached, I'll be splitting the slug coil on the bridge, right? is it the more desired sound? or should I split screw instead?


Slug side is stronger, screw side brighter, really though it is more about the location.
I like the forward coil of the bridge pickup which is standard if green is ground and red/white go to ground.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
olivierlgp



Joined: 20 Jan 2018
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Split coil and SSC Reply with quote

Hi,
is it possible to split the humbucker of my Classic Pro HSS and get the benefit of the SCC circuit ? is it complex wiring ?
Is it better for S/N to use a switch or a push/pull pot ?
thanks for reply
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suhr



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2127

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Split coil and SSC Reply with quote

olivierlgp wrote:
Hi,
is it possible to split the humbucker of my Classic Pro HSS and get the benefit of the SCC circuit ? is it complex wiring ?
Is it better for S/N to use a switch or a push/pull pot ?
thanks for reply

Yes you could, it won’t eliminate all the hum but a good portion.
Switch or pot depends on what works for the guitar. You could also do a push push.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB ©