Suhr :: View topic - Gotoh 510 2p range question

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ† †SearchSearch† †MemberlistMemberlist† †UsergroupsUsergroups† †RegisterRegister

Gotoh 510 2p range question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Gotoh 510 2p range question Reply with quote

Hi, was just wondering what sort of pitch change to expect from a gotoh 510 when raising whammy bar on high E string. Atm i only get a semitone higher, i was wondering if that was normal?
Marshall DSL100
Suhr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Gotoh 510 2p range question Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Hi, was just wondering what sort of pitch change to expect from a gotoh 510 when raising whammy bar on high E string. Atm i only get a semitone higher, i was wondering if that was normal?
we donít set up for a lot of pull back but you can change that if you like.
Joel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, how? I've tried lowering and raising the bridge, it soesn't changr anything, the block seems to hit the body routing on the spring side.[/quote]
Marshall DSL100
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has the trem block hitting the back plate, so I remove the back plate and it goes a bit further.

The Gotoh's stock trem block is significantly larger than something like Ibanez Edge's trem block (even tho that's also made by Gotoh), so it's far more likely to hit the back plate.

Some people do the weird forward tilt thing like they do with Fender. I don't like that at all though.

You might want to file a case for customer support? They typically respond with 2 business days in my experience. If you can provide them with videos and pictures, it helps them get back to you sooner too.
Joel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not hitting the back plate as i've stated, its hitting the route.
Marshall DSL100
tWreCK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You basically have a couple of options you can try:

1. tilt the bridge (forward) like Jefff Beck does

2. instead of the steel block you could use the Gotoh FST block which is chamfered along the front edge. This will allow additional pull-up while keeping the bridge parallell to the body (if that's important to you). The FST block is a zinc alloy (as opposed to steel) and some people claim there is a tonal difference. I've tried both and in my opinion the tone difference is negligable. One advantage of the FST block is lower overall string tension due to the string holes being deep drilled.

Tilting the bridge is the least expensive option (if you want to keep the steel block) and contrary to most peoples opinions works great. If you look at Leo Fender's original patent for the tremolo it was setup with a forward tilt. You will have to re-adjust the action and relief accordingly.

I use a Gotoh 510TS 2-point on a Grosh bent top and it's setup with a tilt for the same reason you're experiencing - feels smooth and stays in tune great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: