Suhr :: View topic - Newbie looking for pickup advice.

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Newbie looking for pickup advice.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Newbie looking for pickup advice. Reply with quote

Hi gang.
I'm the proud owner of a 2009 S4.
It has an SSH Plus in the bridge and ML standards in the middle and neck.
I'm looking at converting to HSH and need some advice.
Obviously, I need to get a new pick guard.
What I'm concerned with is the choice for the neck PUP.
I love the sound of the SSH+, but the Thornbuckers, which I really like the sound of, and all of the neck PUP choices are significantly lower output.
I play mostly fusion, modern blues and classic rock. Man, I hate labeling music!
Is this a big issue?
I'm willing to change all of the PUPs if necessary.
Also, I read here about a very flexible wiring setup that's available, pull pot coil split,.. but for the life of me, I can't find the post.
I'd really appreciate your input.

Cheers,
Ron
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neck humbuckers are usually lower output than the bridge humbuckers because there is far more string vibration at where the neck pickup is positioned. The natural tone of the strings is also much darker and warmer up there. Lower output humbuckers are typically more "open" sounding due to the reduced mid and increased treble compared to higher output ones, and this property complements the tone of the strings at the neck position better.

With that said, if you put a high output humbucker in the neck position, it can end up sounding too dark and muddy, and that's why you don't see it very often. Of course that also depends on what you play, your own playing style, and your entire rig. Dave Murray of Iron Maiden used to run the extremely high output Dimarzio Super Distortion in both neck and bridge positions and he makes it work just fine, so your mileage may vary.

Using a Thornbucker in the neck with an SSH+ in the bridge is perfectly fine in my opinion. I have a Standard with an Aldrich bridge and a DSV neck, they work together very very well.
RonD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DaineusZ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: