Suhr :: View topic - First Post - PT100SE review

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

First Post - PT100SE review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickenbacker198

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: First Post - PT100SE review Reply with quote

PT 100 se review - cross post from Rig-Talk

I’m guessing my musical tastes are a mile from some on Rig Talk (I’m not so much for the chugga chugga) but I like it here, been a semi-lurker for years and I want to finally contribute with a review of this off the radar amp.
I play in P&W band at church, have a hobby basement recording studio, and too many musical projects on the go.
I play wall of sound , shoegazer stuff, anything rock, as well as some emotional/ textural guitar.

My initial feeling on this amp were favourable, however
it took me a few days to really dial it in how I like it.
I’ve had different Marshall amps in the past I thought this would be a variation on that, and it is, but also so much more.

Coming from using mainly Diezel amps I only have one big complaint about the PT100SE , that the presence, depth and feedback controls are on the back of the amp, annoying when you want to tweak it on stage.. or from your chair in the studio.

Other than that it has all the features you could ask for midi/ great loop/ bright switches/ feel control /3 channels…. a built in mosfet boost circuit that can be engaged on each channel etc..

The stock tube selection is bang on.
JJ 12ax7 in V1, Shuguang 12ax7 in the rest and JJ EL34L’s.
I resisted the fact that there’s a JJ tube in V1. I loathe JJ 12ax7’s in all my other amps. But after some experimenting I do admit John Suhr has it right with his tube selections.

I’ve gone through a lot of amps , maybe not as many as some of you other nutcases, but a good number.
Of all them the Diezels are the only ones I would miss on a daily basis. The Bogs and Wiz’s are noteworthy but I didn’t like them enough to justify keeping them.
I want my amps to be deep. I want to discover new tones and textures for years… otherwise honestly I just get bored of it.
That said , the Suhr is staying for a very long time.

I usually play PRS my #1 is a stock ‘01 SAS, also regularly play ‘94 & ‘14 McCartys and another SAS loaded with DiMarzios.
I’ve tried the amp with greenbacks , V30s and H30’s.
It works well with them all , but H30+ V30 combo is my favourite.

A rundown of the channels.

Ch 1 Clean -Reminds me of every Pearl Jam song ever -
There is such variance in the tones available here.
This channel is capable of crystal clean but only with the lowest gain settings, like 2 or lower,
Increase the gain and is has such a pleasant breakup mixed with a clear jangling bell like tone.
At higher gain settings it’s all out crunch overlapping with channel 2 but with a much different voice.
There’s a bright switch that adds top end and more pick noise.
Also a crunch switch that adds more gain.
It’s open and dynamic on all settings.

Ch 2 - Reminds me of a killer modded plexi- except it sounds great at a reasonable volume.
Think fine toothed saw type of drive.
This channel starts out hotter than you’d think , if you want Marshall like cleans the gain needs to be below 1.5
After that mayhem , there’s much more gain available than with a stock plexi. It can be, raw, open and cutting but it’s not difficult to control.
You can dial it in dark and smooth or dark and gritty. Bright and smooth with a pleasing percussion to every chord strike or bright and aggressive.
Basically if you like the character of the drive it can be shaped in a way you want.

Ch 3 -Reminds me of best fat Marshall I’ve ever heard-
Take channel 2, tweak the character slightly, add some compression, and beefy low mids.
Think slow running chainsaw type drive.
There are copious amount of gain on tap here.
At lower settings it’s still crunch, percussive and open.
By mid gain power chords are fat and chunky.
With the higher settings leads become fluid , the touch response and feeling of push pull with the amp is remarkable.

The other stuff -
Each channel has a beautiful percussion once dialed in well, not the kind that smacks you in the face, more like tickles your ears.
The Eq is responsive and extreme settings are still useful , the depth control is not nearly as aggressive as some amps, but fun nonetheless.
The boost circuit is available on each channel , it adds clean boost to the front end, adding gain and tightening the amp.
The feedback control changes the feel, at lower settings it feels like a plexi at higher like a JCM 800.
The presence control has a wide range and I never felt the need for more than 6 with my cabs.
This amp is organic ,it has this tangible depth I’ve not experienced in other amps . Simply inspiring and it makes me want to play more.

My evaluation is ..
I give it a 9.5/10
The only reduction is because there are controls on the back.
If tone was the only factor it’s 10/10.
If you play or enjoy anything other than extreme metal I cannot recommend the PT100SE enough.

Last edited by rickenbacker198 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
rickenbacker198

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candid Shot

Belensky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Diezel Herbert, and thinking about getting PT100(for more open sounding, raw, organic marshal tones).

is there a lot of difference between sounds you can get form VH4 vs PT100?
is PT100 more open sounding amp?

how is master and channel volume on PT, i know for sure that diezel has pretty good master, I run my 180W herbert in apartment just fine.

is there a lot difference gain vise on 4th channel on VH4 vs boosted 3th channel on PT(for lead playing).

can it be used as metal amp on 2th 3th channel?
Joee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diezel at a pw band that church must be rockin.
rickenbacker198

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belensky wrote:
I have Diezel Herbert, and thinking about getting PT100(for more open sounding, raw, organic marshal tones).

is there a lot of difference between sounds you can get form VH4 vs PT100?
is PT100 more open sounding amp?

how is master and channel volume on PT, i know for sure that diezel has pretty good master, I run my 180W herbert in apartment just fine.

is there a lot difference gain vise on 4th channel on VH4 vs boosted 3th channel on PT(for lead playing).

can it be used as metal amp on 2th 3th channel?

Sorry for the late reply,
I have and love a Herbert too , the Diezels and the PT100SE are vastly different. They don’t really overlap each other.
Yes the PT100SE is a lot more open , more organic and less compressed.
It doesn’t have the low end thump or the same thickness as either Herbert or VH4.
It still has that studio ready sound same as the Diezel but it’s core tone is much closer to an old Marshall JMP, More cutting and less smooth.
It’s deep and I’m still finding more settings I like.
The master is great, I think it sounds better than Herbert at low volume.

There is a huge difference in sounds between Ch4 of the VH4 and CH3 on the PT100SE,
The Suhr is more organic and responds to your touch, still , insane amounts of gain are on tap. It feels like more gain than the Diezels.
The VH4 and Herbert are thicker sounding , more authoritative, but in some ways it still feels like playing on the clean channel, because there’s not much bounce or give.

The PT100SE could definitely be used as a metal amp, ch 2 and 3 can be dialed in aggressive and tight.

All these amps are amazing, they all leave normal amps collecting dust.
You honestly can’t go wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Amp Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: