Suhr :: View topic - Suhr modern pro volume pots

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Suhr modern pro volume pots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Suhr modern pro volume pots Reply with quote

Hi there, just a quick question about my modern pro volume pots. I have noticed nost people saying that the standard pots in this guitar would be Audio, but I have always noticed on my volume pot, that the volume comes on and off very abruptly, not making much change in volume after it comes on. This is the first guitar I have owned that does this, and it makes volume swirls almost impossible. I was under the impression that this is what a linear pot acts like. Could the pot in my guitar be damaged? Or do you think the person that first bought it asked for linear pots?
Marshall DSL100
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible they may have accidentally installed the wrong pots? For that, I would contact customer service.

Looking at the gear in your signature, I would say this is probably your first guitar with the treble bleed circuit connected to a high output passive pickup (bridge). Treble bleed does alter the taper of the pot to some extent, but the advantage far out weighs the drawback in my opinion. You get a far richer tone when you roll back the volume to do any semi-dirty or even full on clean tones without sounding muddy. If you're doing it with the bridge pickup, the high output bridge pickup also doesn't lower its output significantly enough until you roll back the volume further. I've observed this behavior with high output passive humbuckers in just about any guitar.

I'm not sure how often you require volume swells, but there is a certain range in the pot that can still do the swells without too much problem. It is a bit closer to the "off" position of the pot and the range is narrower, but it's something that you should hopefully be able to get used to.
Joel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man, i appreciate your feedback, swell aren't really vital, I will have a go at tighter swirls closer to the off position, if I need to do them, cheers.
Marshall DSL100
Suhr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Suhr modern pro volume pots Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Hi there, just a quick question about my modern pro volume pots. I have noticed nost people saying that the standard pots in this guitar would be Audio, but I have always noticed on my volume pot, that the volume comes on and off very abruptly, not making much change in volume after it comes on. This is the first guitar I have owned that does this, and it makes volume swirls almost impossible. I was under the impression that this is what a linear pot acts like. Could the pot in my guitar be damaged? Or do you think the person that first bought it asked for linear pots?

The treble bleed circuit makes the volume behave in more of a linear fashion while retaining high end. The more gain you have the more abrupt it may seem. You could eliminate that treble bleed circuit but the guitar will get dark when you turn down without it. A true linear pot would behave like a switch when clean amp settings are used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: