Suhr :: View topic - Modified Staggered Pole Piece Design

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 
 

 
 
 
Modified Staggered Pole Piece Design

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
diddleybo



Joined: 06 Jul 2018
Posts: 21
Location: NYC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Modified Staggered Pole Piece Design Reply with quote

Happy New Year!

I'm looking to replace the pickups on my Strat and all the Suhr single coil pickups that I saw on the website "incorporate a modified staggered pole piece design to provide an even magnetic field needed to accommodate instruments with flatter neck radius and today’s string gauges."

What if my Strat has the vintage radius neck? Would it still work?
Do you make any other single coil pickups/pre-wired pickguard?

Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaeniusZ



Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Posts: 350

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should probably ask customer service for that

I don't think many of us here own a 7.25" radius Suhr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Organic



Joined: 02 Jul 2014
Posts: 30
Location: Massachusetts, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. This is a good question for support.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suhr



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2104

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Modified Staggered Pole Piece Design Reply with quote

diddleybo wrote:
Happy New Year!

I'm looking to replace the pickups on my Strat and all the Suhr single coil pickups that I saw on the website "incorporate a modified staggered pole piece design to provide an even magnetic field needed to accommodate instruments with flatter neck radius and today’s string gauges."

What if my Strat has the vintage radius neck? Would it still work?
Do you make any other single coil pickups/pre-wired pickguard?

Thank you.

Yes it will work fine, even a flat stagger. The old stagger is more about a wound G
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Drew7



Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Posts: 71
Location: Somerville, MA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Modified Staggered Pole Piece Design Reply with quote

Suhr wrote:
diddleybo wrote:
Happy New Year!

I'm looking to replace the pickups on my Strat and all the Suhr single coil pickups that I saw on the website "incorporate a modified staggered pole piece design to provide an even magnetic field needed to accommodate instruments with flatter neck radius and today’s string gauges."

What if my Strat has the vintage radius neck? Would it still work?
Do you make any other single coil pickups/pre-wired pickguard?

Thank you.

Yes it will work fine, even a flat stagger. The old stagger is more about a wound G


The fact Fender still continues to wind pickups with a "vintage" stagger (and worse - people seem to want this and see it as a desirable feature) is mind-blowing to me - at this point both of my strats have Suhr singlecoils anyway (I have no idea if it really is the magnets, but whatever it is you guys do works), but for a while there I was hand-flattening the stagger just so I didn't have to set Fender singlecoils so far back from the string not to overload that G and have it start messing with the intonation/sustain.
_________________
"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a little dicier." - David Foster Wallace
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lreese



Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 168

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Modified Staggered Pole Piece Design Reply with quote

Drew7 wrote:


...and worse - people seem to want this and see it as a desirable feature) is mind-blowing to me - .


I take pride in the mind-blowing... Very Happy

I like the old vintage stagger - even it took a while for mr to get used to the modified stagger on Suhr pickups. That being said, these days pretty much all of my pickups that have been replaced are Suhrs. One set of Kinmans, which are 'aight on their own.

Even though flat is supposed to work better with a plain G, well... it bothers me. To the point of ripping them out. The imbalance of a vintage stagger does not bother me at all.

Definitely not logical, but hey the point of all this is to make me happy. That's all that counts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drew7



Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Posts: 71
Location: Somerville, MA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Modified Staggered Pole Piece Design Reply with quote

lreese wrote:
Drew7 wrote:


...and worse - people seem to want this and see it as a desirable feature) is mind-blowing to me - .


I take pride in the mind-blowing... Very Happy

I like the old vintage stagger - even it took a while for mr to get used to the modified stagger on Suhr pickups. That being said, these days pretty much all of my pickups that have been replaced are Suhrs. One set of Kinmans, which are 'aight on their own.

Even though flat is supposed to work better with a plain G, well... it bothers me. To the point of ripping them out. The imbalance of a vintage stagger does not bother me at all.

Definitely not logical, but hey the point of all this is to make me happy. That's all that counts.


I think you're stark raving mad, personally. Laughing Vintage pole stagger is my single biggest guitar pet peeve. But, in the interest of understanding and learning, what about vintage stagger do you like? How close do you run your pickups to the strings, what string gauges do you run, what kind of music do you tend to be playing when you grab a singlecoil-equipped guitar (and what positions are you using mostly), etc? And what about a modern stagger do you not like?

I don't get it at ALL, but I'd be curious to hear the argument for a vintage stagger from someone who likes it.
_________________
"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a little dicier." - David Foster Wallace
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lreese



Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 168

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - I'm probably older than most on the forum. That's going to figure into this as gear was a bit harder to procure in the dark ages.

Lets make it a case of I got older, formed some perceptions (not necessarily fact based) and learned to use and appreciate what I had. Made it work for me.

A 57 Strat was still the holy grail back then and staggered pickup poles is what they had - its what fits. Not a logic thing. Its more of a case of something looking wrong.

Modern staggers like the Kinmans and Suhrs - no issue with that - they're close enough. Its just flat exposed polepieces on a Strat that drive me nuts.. Yep, balance is a little better, but it doesn't look as it should be in my eyes.

As far as type of music, Started out on mainly country, then a metal phase in my teens. Now, mainly dabbling in music from the '70s, 80s and 90s, whatever interests me. String gauges running standard 9.5 D'Addarios. I use all 5 positions depending on my mood.

Amps - Got a bunch of them but mainly using an AX8 into a small rack. The AX8 is a little bland (need the low volume - even a cable direct in to a Princeton at low volume sounds better), but satisfying with a little Lexicon type reverb.

A little compression and developing touch to deal with the G string and its all good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drew7



Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Posts: 71
Location: Somerville, MA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's not a sound thing, it's a look thing, and in fact it's something you have to compensate elsewhere for in your rig via compression to keep the G balanced with the rest of the strings?

Yeah, I'll never understand this, lol. either way, thanks for taking the time and giving me an answer!
_________________
"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a little dicier." - David Foster Wallace
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lreese



Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 168

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a case of I have to. G string issues are just not something I dwell a lot on.

OK - Not that G string... That one is perfect. TMI Shocked

Other things I do dwell on that don't really matter to others.

I've gone a long time without a compressor - Its just something that's nice that s more available these days, and already there in the modelers.

Actually with dirt, I tend not to use any.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB ©