Suhr :: View topic - WTH?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ† †SearchSearch† †MemberlistMemberlist† †UsergroupsUsergroups† †RegisterRegister

WTH?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwe200

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: WTH? Reply with quote

New pricing. So a custom order flametop with roasted ash body, roasted neck, pau ferro board and abalone is $4,000? $5600 MSRP.

https://eddiesguitars.com/suhr-eddie-s-guitars-exclusive-roasted-modern-trans-purple?fbclid=IwAR1-4WXpBLxGWC5SoRRsXL90MDsZE2gvhR_Uwvvina61uXU46v3YtaeLmRI
Drew7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have another thread complaining about Suhr pricing?

They're not cheap guitars. They're still priced comparably to other similar high end guitars:

This is the first hit for "charvel USA quilt top":
https://reverb.com/item/17104645-charvel-usa-san-dimas-custom-shop-2h-solar-burst-quilt-top-guitar

Here's the first hit for Ibanez J Custom:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG8520SDE--ibanez-rg8520-j-custom-sodalite?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3319245781&rkg_id=0&campaigntype=dsa&campaign=aaDSA&adgroup=1233692277%3ADSA%20-%20Guitars&placement=google&adpos=1t1&creative=331291339089&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-onjBRDSARIsAEZXcKZrjYHX6bgVoin5DbOqLO6dX6A2U3HRGvGIdg8a3lriZAJyljpfmHAaAhLNEALw_wcB

The price is no longer available on the page, but here's the first hit for Fender Custom Shop Quilt Top, which in the Google summary lists a price - $4,000:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratQMRW--fender-custom-shop-quilt-maple-top-artisan-stratocaster-tigereye

Idunno, man. High end custom shop guitars with fancy tops cost a lot of money. Suhr isn't exactly an outlier here.
qwe200

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I do have plenty of posts complaining about pricing. And I'll continue to complain as long as we're seeing 10-20% increases a year.
lreese

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good raw materials are not getting any cheaper.

Also goes for Labor and Utilities. Gotta keep the lights on and machines running. Also people to run those machines.

Its a case of either you are willing to pay the going rate or not. Simple as that.
Drew7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, Suhr's pricing is in line with what I see from comparable boutique custom-spec manufacturers. Even the mid-range semi-custom alternatives like Carvin, excuse me Kiesel, are increasing not THAT far behind Suhr.

I'd love it if Suhrs were cheaper too, but the reality is compared to their peers, they're still pretty reasonable.
lreese

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is I feel there's a good value for what you get.

Sure, the entry price is high... But to get what's practical out of that that last proverbial 2%, well.. its going to cost a little, or a lot.

Not in the market for any guitars though. The new reactive load, maybe. I'd like to use my real amps. I got noise level issues now.
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew7 wrote:
Eh, Suhr's pricing is in line with what I see from comparable boutique custom-spec manufacturers. Even the mid-range semi-custom alternatives like Carvin, excuse me Kiesel, are increasing not THAT far behind Suhr.

I'd love it if Suhrs were cheaper too, but the reality is compared to their peers, they're still pretty reasonable.

I'd say Kiesel has far more options than Suhr, especially if you call them or go to their showroom. Kiesel also runs sales even on full custom options and the price is far more competitive. I was able to order a full custom with chambered ash body, ebony board, purple heart neck... all that for just under $1600 on Black Friday. $1600 can't even buy you a USED Modern Satin these days.

Kiesel is unique in that they do not have dealers so cutting the middlemen helps drive the prices down. The downside is obviously lack of advertisement and availability in local stores, so it's just a different business decision that happens to work for them.

Suhr's pricing aligns with most other ultra premium brands, and in comparison to Fender CS or Gibson CS, Suhr is already more customizable and a better value. Most local Suhr dealers will tell you Suhrs just pop off the shelf, so clearly the business decision is working fine. They get to charge what the market is willing to pay.
Suhr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwe200 wrote:
Yes. I do have plenty of posts complaining about pricing. And I'll continue to complain as long as we're seeing 10-20% increases a year.

We only raised the price of our lowest priced models. No increase for the majority of our SKUs or customs. Price increases are a normal part of business. It costs us more to do business in California each year, health insurance, cost of materials, Tariffs donít help either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: