Suhr :: View topic - Suhr Classic Antique fret buzzing issues

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Suhr Classic Antique fret buzzing issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lidorelimelech

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Suhr Classic Antique fret buzzing issues Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have a Suhr Classic Antique that I've got from N Stuff Music, really great guitar sounds fabulous but I can't get rid of the fret buzzing issue. It's not that the buzzing are coming through the amp but sometimes I wanna play it without an amp and it's too noisy.
I tried to adjust the truss rod but I only get rid of the buzzing in ridiculously high action setup.
Any suggestions? thanks.
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suhr factory setup typically has fairly low action

Usually if it can't be heard through an amp, people would consider that to not really be "buzzing" so to speak

You shouldn't need to adjust the truss rod unless the concavity is giving you issues. Typically you should be able to simply raise the action slightly and the buzz would significantly reduce unless your neck is bowing backwards or you have a bad fret. Bad frets are typically very rare with these instruments though.

From what you've described, did you accidentally concave the neck backwards with the truss rod so you end up having to significantly raise the action?
Brad1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you speak with N Stuff about it? I'm a regular customer of theirs and I have found they take very good care of their customers. I have three Suhrs, two of which are classic antiques. I have just a very slight (nearly undetectable) amount of fret buzz, but it's because I set my action insanely low. In comparison, I have an American standard strat that has way more buzz and the action's higher.
CaptNasty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action (string height) is not set by the truss rod. String height adjustments should be made at the bridge.

The truss rod is used to adjust relief (the bow) in the neck, which can have effect on string height; but the truss rod is not meant to be the primary mechanism for action adjustment.

Did you take measurements that indicated relief or action needed to be adjusted? You should get to the bottom of why the guitar is buzzing before making any adjustments.

Some things to check beyond action especially if you bought it used:

Is the nut securely mounted to the guitar?

Are any of the machine heads (tuners) loose?

Is the neck securely attached?

Are the saddle secure? Do they have any play in them?

Is the bridge solid? I have actually seen bridges where the tremolo mounting studs were bent or could wiggle in their socket

Is the sustain block securely attatched to the bridge. (Assuming you have a tremolo bridge)?
KH335iCC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: sounds weird Reply with quote

each and every Suhr guitars left factory after being properly PLEK processed and carefully QC checked and set-up, so please check your neck-relief and action, as I assume nothing else could've gone wrong.
lreese

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say when I got my custom order is even with a roasted neck there seemed to be a bit of a settling in period where things would seem to move a little and need a tweak here and there.

It is what it is (its wood)- if you must, take it to a tech for evaluation/setup. If its more than a setup job (things happen), customer service will make it right.
Drew7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: sounds weird Reply with quote

KH335iCC wrote:
each and every Suhr guitars left factory after being properly PLEK processed and carefully QC checked and set-up, so please check your neck-relief and action, as I assume nothing else could've gone wrong.

It's certainly possible for a fret to raise or the wood to shift even after a Plek job, but if that were the case you'd only have very isolated fret buzz, say below a certain fret on a couple strings.

The truss rod doesn't have a huge impact on action, within certain limits - you want to set it for a tiny bit of relief in the neck, but beyond that it's bridge height you want to look at. Adjusting the neck back to very nearly straight with 1-2mm of relief, and then raising the bridge slightly, should do the trick.
lreese

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 to 2 mm is a lot. 1mm is bigger than 1/32"

Basically the way I do it is depress a string at the 1st and last fret and look for the slightest movement. We're talking a the thickness of a hair or slightly more.
Drew7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lreese wrote:
1 to 2 mm is a lot. 1mm is bigger than 1/32"

Basically the way I do it is depress a string at the 1st and last fret and look for the slightest movement. We're talking a the thickness of a hair or slightly more.

Good catch - I don't have a guitar in front of me. Laughing Listen to this man, you want your neck to have visible relief when you fret at the first and last fret and use the string as a straightedge, but only just. I probably still err on the side of more relief on my own guitars, I have a pretty heavy picking hand, but I'd bet I'm in the 1/2mm range or so. I'll check tonight if I think of it. There's a little bit of subjective wiggle room here, but basically you want a neck that just BARELY has relief in it.
KH335iCC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: sounds weird Reply with quote

Drew7 wrote:
KH335iCC wrote:

It's certainly possible for a fret to raise or the wood to shift even after a Plek job, but if that were the case you'd only have very isolated fret buzz, say below a certain fret on a couple strings.

The truss rod doesn't have a huge impact on action, within certain limits - you want to set it for a tiny bit of relief in the neck, but beyond that it's bridge height you want to look at. Adjusting the neck back to very nearly straight with 1-2mm of relief, and then raising the bridge slightly, should do the trick.

Well...I had dealt with the exact situation as you said, but not on any of my Suhr guitars, yes some other guitars probably have a not quite stable finger board and they move a little bit when shipped to a different place and then you have to tweak them.

But my 4 Suhr guitars are just incredible, they don't seems to care any environmental changing. Maybe I'm lucky. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: