Suhr :: View topic - Modern build without flame maple: help me choose a finish

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Modern build without flame maple: help me choose a finish

View previous topic :: View next topic  
diogoguitar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Modern build without flame maple: help me choose a finish Reply with quote

Hey guys, it's my first ever post in this forum.

I'm considering ordering a new lefty Suhr Modern because I want some very specific specs, but I don't want to go crazy on the options, especially the ones that are simply aesthetic. This means that I would probably go with a solid or metallic finish.

I'm ok to pay a little extra for matching or black headstock, but I DON'T want to pay $250-400 for a maple top and transparent finish.

That said, here are some of the colors that I felt attractive while using Google Images (below).
any suggestions among these or other options? the only colors that I WONT go for are black and sunburst. The rest is fair game.

burgundy mist metallic
[/list]

cactus green metallic

Drew7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums!

I like the teal on the bottom, but is that a Suhr or is that a Charvel? Suhr does charge a premium for custom finishes, so keep that in mind too if it's not one of their standard colors.

IMO, of course, but a $500 upcharge fora flamed top on a custom Suhr build, as a percent of what you're already paying for a custom order, doesn't really move the needle on affordability. If you prefer solid finishes anyway then there's no sense in worrying about it, but if money were no object you'd rather a flamed top, a couple years down the road getting a solid top to save $500 is going to seem less worth it.
Organic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that $500 for a flamed or quilted top with a transparent finish is a significant chunk of change up front, but if that is what you want then you should go for it.

That said, I like the burgundy mist metallic that you posted.

If you haven't seen this generator, then you need to check it out. It will make it a lot easier to visualize combinations of options.

http://www.mattsmusic.com/suhrgen/suhrgeneratorindex.html
Drew7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only other thing I'd say is, this is going to be YOUR guitar, not ours, so you should pick whatever color YOU could see playing for the next 20 years, and totally disregard whatever color WE happen to like. Smile
diogoguitar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. 3/3 of you told me to really think about the finish.

I used Matt's Music configurator as suggested and is really inspiring. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am fortunate enough to have had 3-4 guitars with flame maple, so I don't have a bug for flame maple anymore. I just want a finish that isn't ridiculously ugly and extra credit if it looks custom ordered.
I'm on the fence between the burgundy mist and one of these two below.

"purple nova" version

and here is one with flame maple
_10225_10225-suhr-modern-trans-purple-burst-electric-guitar-25119-146bb5d0533-49 by Renato DIOGO, on Flickr

[img]https://www.soundpure.com/resources/org.apache.wicket.Application/productImage?id=10225-suhr-modern-trans-purple-burst-electric-guitar-25119-146bb5d0533-49.jpg[/img]
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm a sucker for the trans purple
Suhr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Modern build without flame maple: help me choose a finis Reply with quote

I'd do Aura Gold top, scraped binding
diogoguitar wrote:
Hey guys, it's my first ever post in this forum.

I'm considering ordering a new lefty Suhr Modern because I want some very specific specs, but I don't want to go crazy on the options, especially the ones that are simply aesthetic. This means that I would probably go with a solid or metallic finish.

I'm ok to pay a little extra for matching or black headstock, but I DON'T want to pay $250-400 for a maple top and transparent finish.

That said, here are some of the colors that I felt attractive while using Google Images (below).
any suggestions among these or other options? the only colors that I WONT go for are black and sunburst. The rest is fair game.

burgundy mist metallic
[/list]

cactus green metallic

diogoguitar

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew7 wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

I like the teal on the bottom, but is that a Suhr or is that a Charvel? Suhr does charge a premium for custom finishes, so keep that in mind too if it's not one of their standard colors.

IMO, of course, but a $500 upcharge fora flamed top on a custom Suhr build, as a percent of what you're already paying for a custom order, doesn't really move the needle on affordability. If you prefer solid finishes anyway then there's no sense in worrying about it, but if money were no object you'd rather a flamed top, a couple years down the road getting a solid top to save $500 is going to seem less worth it.

The dark green guitar isn't a Charvel, it's a Suhr. I wondered the same when I saw your question haha. I was browsing around and saw this guitar again. See the link below of the actual guitar.

I'm starting to ask for quotes from dealers. I have a preference for dealers whom I had conversations already... we'll see.

https://eddiesguitars.com/electric-guitars/electric-guitar-brands/suhr-guitars/suhr-classic-ocean-turquoise-metallic
diogoguitar

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. I made the order for a transparent purple w/ flame maple top. Apparently ETA is 8-9 months now.
Drew7

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Good luck! Where'd you order?
diogoguitar

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Drew7 I ordered from Matt's Music. Great experience.
I would have gone with Jerry's Lefty Guitars because I'm lefty, but Jerry didn't respond after the first contact. I had to follow up multiple times and didn't hear back, so I went another direction.
Drew7

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice - I was wondering. I'm local to Matt's and have made a couple purchases from there, including my custom Suhr Modern 7 and a Modern 6 I have on order at the moment. Really great shop, they've been super helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: