Suhr :: View topic - String slipping laterally on bent saddles

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

String slipping laterally on bent saddles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kisielk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: String slipping laterally on bent saddles Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've had my Suhr Modern Antique for a little over a year now. It's got the Gotoh 510 tremolo with bent (and nicely reliced) steel saddles. I do have one problem though and that is when I bend the G string just using my fingers, depending on how high I bend the string slips laterally on the saddle. This causes it to go out of tune when I release the bend. Sometimes I can get it to go back to the right spot by bending in the opposite direction (eg: if my bend was upward, and then I do another bend but pull down) but that can be difficult to execute while playing and doesn't always work.

Is this just par for the course for these kinds of bridge saddles? Or is there something I can adjust to correct for this? I've never used this kind of bridge saddle before so I'm not sure what to expect.
Drew7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. It doesn't sound normal, but I haven't owned a guitar with that sort of saddle in aeons so maybe I'm just forgetting.

That said, I suspect a steeper break angle at the saddle would help. If you have the saddles set extremely low but the trem posts higher, try reversing that and raising the saddles relative to the body of the trem, but lowering the trem closer to the body, to get you a little more angle. If you don't have the room to adjust, you could always slightly shim the neck to increase neck angle a little, which would require you to raise the saddles at the bridge.

Just a hunch, but that should increase the downward pressure of the string on the saddle.
lreese

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never noticed that issue.

If it were me that had the issue, I'd consider notching the saddles slightly. Better yet pay a pro to do it.
Suhr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: String slipping laterally on bent saddles Reply with quote

They usually get rough and find a home, fender saddles do that as well. Try and swap the saddle with the D or A

kisielk wrote:
Hey all,

I've had my Suhr Modern Antique for a little over a year now. It's got the Gotoh 510 tremolo with bent (and nicely reliced) steel saddles. I do have one problem though and that is when I bend the G string just using my fingers, depending on how high I bend the string slips laterally on the saddle. This causes it to go out of tune when I release the bend. Sometimes I can get it to go back to the right spot by bending in the opposite direction (eg: if my bend was upward, and then I do another bend but pull down) but that can be difficult to execute while playing and doesn't always work.

Is this just par for the course for these kinds of bridge saddles? Or is there something I can adjust to correct for this? I've never used this kind of bridge saddle before so I'm not sure what to expect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: