Suhr :: View topic - I Do Not Like Staggered Pole Pieces + Sad New Guitar Story

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

I Do Not Like Staggered Pole Pieces + Sad New Guitar Story

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusty Case

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: I Do Not Like Staggered Pole Pieces + Sad New Guitar Story Reply with quote

Sad story with what is looking like a happy ending anyway.

If I could ONLY adjust the pole piece height on the single coils on my new Classic Antique, with 3 single coils.

The high E is REALLY weak sounding compared to the rest of the strings. +
It is something mechanical, I am fairly certain.
And the D is just sort of anemic sounding. The rest of the strings are loud, full and aggressive sounding.

I can hear these volume differences when i play this guitar.
I guess it's a curse. Some form of audio OCD or something.

If I could adjust the pole pieces accordingly, I could at least have a chance of fixing this.

I can't believe that I am the only freak out in "boutique" guitar land that has this string volume thing going on in my ears/brain.

Now the sad story.

I have had the Classic Antique (not so much in my possession, as it has really gotten around to different technicians since I bought it new) but I have had it maybe 4 or 5 months.
Honestly, I am trying to block those first months out of my memory. So i am not positive how ling it has been. Somewhere around 4-6 months.

I can't even start to share the frustration, anger, and self doubt that I have gone through with I guess what I would have to call the **set-up issues** that I have had with this "boutique" guitar.
So even though this is getting to be as long as a short novel, I will spare you all of the details.

After buying, trading, selling and playing guitars and basses for a long loooooong time, I cannot recall anything even remotely close to the drama that that I have had with this guitar, since ordering it over the phone from a dealer in a neighboring state. No Suhrs in my state.

But finally with the help of a good 'ol guitar tech that works in local independent music store in my one-horse-town, we have the guitar sort of 85-90% there.
The LAST place that I would have ever even thought of taking it to be worked on, WAS the last place that I took it. And he was really the only person out of a handful that was actually able to set it up, the way that I asked for it to be set up.
A Music store guitar tech??
Call me a former LA snob, but who knew? I didn't.

And now I am finally starting to see what people seem to love about these guitars.

Like we are supposed to do I guess, I went out of my norm and out on a limb and I bought this unseen and unplayed, strictly because of the incredible players that I see on YT playing this same guitar.
That is kind of what people are supposed to do right?
I knew better. But i did not do my due diligence.

Buying used on eBay is one thing. Buying new, having never even been in the same room with any model of a certain brand of guitar, is not really something I would recommend. Maybe...if it were a Fender.

I SURE took one hella frustrating trip to get this guitar to where I started to realize that there was indeed a great guitar...in there somewhere.

So hear is the somewhat of a happy ending.

It is playing very well and sounding really well through my wall (and pedalboard) of doom. +
I STILL do have a couple of issues though. Mainly in the volume differences between the different strings.

But it has been super hard for me to shake all that i had to go through to get here.

And for those that like to recommend to obvious and basic tweaks, YES, I have had multiple sets of EB and D'Addario 10's on it. LOTS of strings.
And YES, I have tried every pickup adjustment, up, down and tilting, configuration under the sun for my string volume imbalance probs.

Sorry for the sad rant - I did not start out wanting to mention the bad stuff.
But it just came out.
I have no one around to talk gear issues with anymore.

My apologies for the saying this much.

Now...if I could ONLY adjust the pole pieces. Confused

Last edited by Dusty Case on Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
lreese

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staggered pickups work A-OK with me.

Its the flat polepiece pickups I have an aversion to. I'm OK with non-polepiece covers too. I guess I have a different bit of perspective starting out in the 1970s.

To each his own.

I don't care what the brand or how boutique, if I didn't like the pickups, I'd just swap them out. No biggie.
cs@suhr.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our support team would love to help out with any concerns you have surrounding your guitar. Have you tried contacting us directly about the issues?

Our pole piece stagger is modified for modern radii and should work fine with your guitar, but if you really want flat stagger pickups, we can build a set for you. You'll just need to get in touch with our support team directly.

http://www.suhr.com/support/contact-us/

Thanks!
brokenvail

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how long that post was other than not liking staggered pole pieces I have no idea what the issue(s) you were having were
Dusty Case

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that wholeheartedly.
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what issues you were having, but I've surprised to hear that you went through all that trouble and spent all that money and time going to a whole bunch of repair shops first before reaching out to the Suhr Customer Support. I don't know where you live but the last time I wanted some work done on my Suhr I just emailed them and sent my guitar in (it was for a fret and pickup upgrade + PLEK), they quoted me a very reasonable price, and the guitar came back just beyond perfection.

Sad to hear that you got unlucky with yours, but I'd suggest you contact customer support right away and get it taken care of.

Personally I have 2 Suhrs and both came ready to rock.
boyce89976

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

Dusty Case wrote:
I agree with that wholeheartedly.

You agree with what? That he's not sure what your issues are other than staggered poles?
Organic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually can adjust the pole pice height on single coil pickups. See this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D31TGgcBPo
lreese

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Risky...

Those are the one piece plastic bobbins, not fiberboard bobbins. Magnets in the plastic one piece bobbins can be adjusted. You stand a fair chance to be in the market for a rewind or a new pickup if you tried that on a pickup wit fiberboard bobbins.
Organic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, I'm not recommending that anyone try to adjust the pole pieces as shown in that video. It is a risky thing to do especially on expensive pickups like those made by Suhr. Also, I disagree with the premise of the video that the pole pieces should match the fret board radius. The staggered pole pieces on my V60LP pickups are not an issue to my ear.
Drew7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first, let's note that this is a very old thread, bumped by a spammer. Laughing

Second... I've done this, using the rubberized handle of a screwdriver, to take the "vintage stagger" out of Fender pickups, with no ill effect.

I don't think it's as simple as the stagger should match your fretboard, exactly... But at a minimum a vintage stagger has a seriously tall magnet under the G, which made a lot of sense back in the days of wound G strings with thinner cores, but is kind of stupid with the modern string set and the best "workaround" of just slanting the whole pickup and leaving your bass side lower is still kind of not idea. I think it really helps, athough becayuse Fender at least seems to set them by using different height magnets and still setting the bases even, there's only so much you can do since it still has a bigger magnet under it than the adjacent strings. It really helps, to my ears though, with string to string balance, and especially in that it allows you to set the pickups a little closer before magnetic pull on the G string becomes an issue, so you get the other five strings positioned a little more optimally.

That said, yeah, I'd do this very carefully, and would think long and hard about doing it to a set of late 50s or early 60s singlecoils.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: