Suhr :: View topic - Suhr Modern Plus vs Modern Antique Pro differences

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Suhr Modern Plus vs Modern Antique Pro differences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kemfree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Suhr Modern Plus vs Modern Antique Pro differences Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a Suhr modern and I stumbled upon a Modern Antique Pro (https://www.session.de/out/pictures/generated/product/1/665_665_75/Suhr_Modern_Antique_Pro_OWT.jpg) at a store for approx $2700.
I can also get the new Modern Plus for ~$3900.
What bothers me is that I can't seem to find a significant difference between these two guitars, except that plus has a flamed maple top and the antique has a solid color maple top.

The difference that I notice is the middle pickup V60LP on plus vs ML standard on antique, and push-pull pot on the plus. Other specs seem to be the same (info on the antique is a bit hard to find, as it's discontinued for some time). Roasted maple neck on both, pau ferro fretboard, gotoh 510 bridge, two-piece basswood body, same locking tuners, pickups, compound radius, elliptical neck profile, stainless steel frets.

Considering the price difference of almost 50%, am I missing something that would justify buying the plus model?Is there something else that is substantially different and worth paying more? I would assume that the new flamed maple, as beautiful as it is, is just a cosmetic, and that push-pull and different middle pickup could not possibly make that much of a difference. Am I wrong or is the cheaper one basically the same guitar?
Organic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the look of the antique model then save the money and get that one. The differences are largely cosmetic. If you decide you'd rather have the other pickups and switching options all of that can be swapped after you have the guitar. The only thing you can't really change would be the color / finish of the instrument.

$3,900 seems like a high price for a modern plus. Most places have them listed for $3,299 (in the USA at least).
kemfree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer, those are the prices that I'm able to get the guitars where I live (not USA).
Is there a significant difference between the pickups?
Body and neck shape and wood quality is the same, right?
Drew7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kemfree wrote:
Thanks for the answer, those are the prices that I'm able to get the guitars where I live (not USA).
Is there a significant difference between the pickups?
Body and neck shape and wood quality is the same, right?

I've got a (Fender) Strat with a trio of ML Standards, and another one with a trio of V60LPs. They're both awesome pickups. If at gunpoint I had to choose just one I'd err on the side of the MLs, but it'd be a tossup - the ML Standards are a hair hotter, can sound acceptably "vintage" but are a little more mid-heavy than an old school Fender sound, and are a great "rock" pickup. The V60LPs are a little more old school, softer in feel and less middy, but still have a good amount of output and handle gain well (just as the MLs still sound gorgeous clean). Think, oh, Yngwie vs SRV. Suhr singlecoils in general are amongst the best I've played, though - very clear and solid-sounding, while even Custom Shot Fenders by comparison seem to sound a little filtered to me, for lack of a better way to put it. To MY ears, the V60s were a little too "hi-fi" for me while the V60LPs were not, but if that's a sound you like, they're a great option too.

That said... it's an easy swap, and you can buy a middle position Suhr singlecoil for, what, $80? Easy to try the other if you don't know if you like the one you get.
Organic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the quality of the two instruments with regard to wood and build quality should be the same. The big price difference is probably because of the age of the guitars. Suhr has been raising prices every year for the last several years, so a model that used to cost $2600 is now over $3000 even though nothing about the quality has changed. The V60LP and the ML are equal in quality, just different in tonality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: