Suhr :: View topic - Neck Radius Question

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ† †SearchSearch† †MemberlistMemberlist† †UsergroupsUsergroups† †RegisterRegister

Neck Radius Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
h0ss66

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Neck Radius Question Reply with quote

Hey ya'll,

Well this is my first post!

I've recently placed an order for a new Suhr Modern and as of now I have it spec'd with a 10-14" fretboard radius. I've noticed quite a bit of praise here and elsewhere about the 16" radius on the Moderns. I'm wondering if I should go with the 16...

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the 16 over the 10-14?
Stugots

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be my suggestion. You can get the action lower on the 16" non compound radius.
synchu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^My guess is that you can go lower on compound radius, since fretboard is a (part of) cone and the nut is narrower than bridge...might be totally wrong though Smile

Niki
makka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really a case that you can get lower action on one over the other since the action is how close a straight line (the string) can get to a straight line along the length of a cone/cylinder surface (the fret board). "Geometrically" there's no difference between the two however in practical terms with really low action the rounder radius will cause strings to "choke" earlier when bending versus a flatter radius.

Generally a flatter radius will also make it easier to do fast legato and picked runs as the fingers don't have to bend round the radius of the board so much - or at least that's what I've found.

My Suhr has a 10-14" compound and when I first got it I really didn't like it (I actually contemplated sending it back to be changed) but over time I've come to quite like it however I still prefer the flatter 16" radius on my Ibanez and when I get another Suhr I will definitely be going with 16" radius just as a point of difference between the two. The 10-14" has a nice balance between a classic feel at the nut end and a "shreddier" feel at the bridge end of the fret board but for me 16" feels better for the stuff I play.

Actually if it was possible I'd love to get a more extreme compound like 10-16" (Warmoth do this I believe) or maybe go even flatter in the upper frets and have something weird like 12-17" or 12-18"
Phil M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a 9.5" radius on strats and the 12" radius on Les Pauls. Anything flatter feels weird to me so I went with the 10-14" on the Suhrs I've ordered. If 10" were one of the standard options, I might've even picked that.
Pete Lacis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil M wrote:
I like a 9.5" radius on strats and the 12" radius on Les Pauls. Anything flatter feels weird to me so I went with the 10-14" on the Suhrs I've ordered. If 10" were one of the standard options, I might've even picked that.

Different strokes. The only Suhr that I've had whose radius I didn't care for was their 9-12" -- all of mine are 10-14" and I love those.....though I would really like to try a 16" as well.

Bottom line: the lower the number, the rounder the fret board, the more vintage the feel. The higher the number, the flatter the fretboard and the more modern the feel.
My Guitars: http://petelacis.com/guitars

Suhr, I'll take another....
makka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil M wrote:

If the Suhr you've ordered is a custom Standard or Classic then one of the options for those models is a 9-12" compound which might fit your style a little better?
h0ss66

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a Modern...

I think I'm going to stick with 10-14 because I'm used to strats and I don't play that much shreddy stuff although I am starting to get into more heavier/fusion type stuff. Generally, I play heavy blues and classic/hard rock.

Some might say, why a Modern if you don't shred? I don't agree with that...its a badass looking guitar with badass tone, and its extremely versatile.
mediterraneo12001

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a 25" radius which I absolutely love on my new modern...

Ciao
MrMunky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mediterraneo12001 wrote:

Ciao

Shocked so . . . jealous . . .
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the vigier shawn lane model has a totally flat fretboard ... so does many classical guitars, but i don't hear a lot of blues bends being done on those ...
zorshelter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
the vigier shawn lane model has a totally flat fretboard ... so does many classical guitars, but i don't hear a lot of blues bends being done on those ...

yep for me I get better bends and a more "natural" feel with rounder necks, I don't know why but it's easier to bend and on flatter necks I feel a bit uncomfortable for bends....
mediterraneo12001

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMunky wrote:
mediterraneo12001 wrote:

Ciao

Shocked so . . . jealous . . .

Smile It is extremely easy to play. The low action doesnt interfere at all with bends anywhere but still feels comfortable enough to someone used to playing a 16" radius from what people who have played my modern so far have said...
Camerong

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An online discussion is launched at the expense of the joyful menís and all tools of the passages. The turns of the message are empowered to write my paper for me reviews on the side of the ethics. The chapter is inquired for the online sources for the production of quite good items for moral values.
Drew7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These bots are getting ridiculous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: