Suhr :: View topic - Question about neck finish

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Question about neck finish

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crxsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Question about neck finish Reply with quote

Hi all. New around here, but I've been a Suhr owner for the last year or so.

This is my 2018 Classic Antique in Firemist Gold (with a Thornbucker now in the bridge). It's undoubtedly the nicest guitar I've ever owned........... but I find myself slightly disappointed with how the neck feels.

I falsely assumed that the Antique would feel more worn in the hands, but neck-for-neck, I really prefer the finish on my G&L ASAT Classic Custom. Feels more natural to me. But, of course, that guitar is 11 years older and has been played more.

So I'm wondering, is there a different neck (roasted?) or finish (satin?) that would, for lack of a better term, feel better?
qwe200

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned several Suhr's and strongly prefer the satin finish. What finish is on your neck? If any, I would remove it so you can fully enjoy the Suhr neck. For me, neck feel is as important as tone.
crxsh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwe200 wrote:
I've owned several Suhr's and strongly prefer the satin finish. What finish is on your neck? If any, I would remove it so you can fully enjoy the Suhr neck. For me, neck feel is as important as tone.

Checked the spec sheet just to be sure -- it's a lacquer finish.
qwe200

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is the issue. If you remove the lacquer, you will love it.
crxsh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwe200 wrote:

What’s the process of “removing the lacquer?”

I contacted Suhr. They want $750-$1250 to replace the neck... and you don’t get to keep the “old” one for resale, which is curious.
qwe200

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let someone else chime in here. I'm really picky about who works on my guitars and I've brought my guitars back to Suhr for most repairs/upgrades.

Suhr used to charge $700 for neck replacements. I don't think you need a replacement at all.

To be honest, if I were in your shoes I would find a good luthier (usually your local Suhr dealer) and they should do it very easily/economically. There are also many videos and DIY guides in your inclined. Suhr might even tell you the steps to doing the job right,

I've steel wooled necks before, but never a Suhr.

I think if you get that lacquer off you will be very pleased. Your guitar is very beautiful.
Drew7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crxsh wrote:
qwe200 wrote:

I contacted Suhr. They want $750-$1250 to replace the neck... and you don’t get to keep the “old” one for resale, which is curious.

Makes sense - they don't want someone slapping a Squier body on a Suhr neck and selling it as an actual Suhr.

No need to replace the neck, though - you could simply take some 00000 grade steel wool and sand down the laquer. If it's a gloss neck, you might not even have to take it all the way off, just sand it enough to go from a gloss to a matte finish.

I've never done this to a Suhr either, but I've done this to a bunch of Ibanez guitars, usually applying tung oil to the bare wood when I'm done. The major downside is it makes the neck a little more susceptible to changes in humidity and you'll have to do a truss rod adjustment a little more often, but that's not a huge problem.
crxsh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwe200 wrote:
I'll let someone else chime in here. I'm really picky about who works on my guitars and I've brought my guitars back to Suhr for most repairs/upgrades.

Suhr used to charge $700 for neck replacements. I don't think you need a replacement at all.

To be honest, if I were in your shoes I would find a good luthier (usually your local Suhr dealer) and they should do it very easily/economically. There are also many videos and DIY guides in your inclined. Suhr might even tell you the steps to doing the job right,

I've steel wooled necks before, but never a Suhr.

I think if you get that lacquer off you will be very pleased. Your guitar is very beautiful.

Appreciate this. Seems the closest dealer is CME, which is a couple hours away. Perhaps I'll give them a call.

Drew7 wrote:
crxsh wrote:
qwe200 wrote:

Makes sense - they don't want someone slapping a Squier body on a Suhr neck and selling it as an actual Suhr.

No need to replace the neck, though - you could simply take some 00000 grade steel wool and sand down the laquer. If it's a gloss neck, you might not even have to take it all the way off, just sand it enough to go from a gloss to a matte finish.

I've never done this to a Suhr either, but I've done this to a bunch of Ibanez guitars, usually applying tung oil to the bare wood when I'm done. The major downside is it makes the neck a little more susceptible to changes in humidity and you'll have to do a truss rod adjustment a little more often, but that's not a huge problem.

I guess the Squier argument makes sense, hadn't considered that. I'm just used to seeing Fender necks everywhere.

I picked up some 0000 steel wool last night on Amazon and will give it a try. Thanks for the tip.
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crxsh wrote:
I picked up some 0000 steel wool last night on Amazon and will give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

Can be a bit messy and pickups love steel wool fragments! Remove neck if possible, protect the guitar in some other way if not.
Drew7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the neck is ideal. If you can't or don't want to, your next bet bet is to cover the pickups completely with something like painter's tape (I use it to mask the fretboard while polishing frets. And, of course while painting walls). This will trap all the steel wool fragments on top of the tape. Then, since the only thing holding them is magnetism, put another layer of tape over the first, to trap the fragments between the two, and then remove them both at once.
crxsh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good notes, guys. Much appreciated. I'll report back.
Drew7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, can I just note that that's an extremely pretty guitar?
crxsh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew7 wrote:

Right?! It's the nicest -- and the flashiest -- guitar I've ever had. And it plays better after using the steel wool. Wonder how often or how many times I'll need to do that ... but we'll see.
Drew7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crxsh wrote:
Drew7 wrote:

Right?! It's the nicest -- and the flashiest -- guitar I've ever had. And it plays better after using the steel wool. Wonder how often or how many times I'll need to do that ... but we'll see.

Nice! It depends if you sanded down to bare wood, or just scuffed up the finish. If bare wood, then you don't likely need to worry about it ever again, though you'll likely want to put down some sort of penetrating oil and when I used to do this to Ibanez necks I'd try to once a year give it a light sand and a fresh coat (I eventually stopped because given how think a Wizard neck is, it made it a lot more sensitive to changes in air temperature and humidity, while finished necks were a little more stable).

If you just scuffed the surface up to a matte finish, then over time you may polish it back up as you play and have to buff it again with steel wool, but I wouldn't imagine this is something you need to do often, maybe every year or two depending on how much you play.
ATLMikeyD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say play that thing until the finish wears off! I recently played an early 90's LP Studio that has been gigged regularly since the early 90's. Hardly any finish was left on the neck except just below the headstock and above the neck joint.

It was honestly the best playing LP I've ever played, including hideously expensive Custom Shop models. I even tried to get the guy to sell it to me. His response was, "Why would I sell it? Its just getting broken in!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: