Suhr :: View topic - my first Suhr is almost ready!

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ† †SearchSearch† †MemberlistMemberlist† †UsergroupsUsergroups† †RegisterRegister

my first Suhr is almost ready!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
diogoguitar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: my first Suhr is almost ready! Reply with quote

Got a note from the dealer saying the body is ready and the neck is currently fretting. It's my first suhr, with my specs. I just couldn't find off the shelf what I wanted so I went ahead and custom-ordered. Excited!!!!!!!
UberBill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope your experience is better than mine. I started the order process in late January, expecting 5 to 6 month wait. I contacted Suhr in July, was told the build would begin July 15. Contacted dealer in October and was told it would be completed in November. I havenít heard anything, yet. I keep waiting to see it on Social Feed. Maybe Christmas?
Organic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting is so difficult. I hope they get it done for you soon. Suhr makes great instruments. You'll forget about the months of waiting once you have it in your hands.
diogoguitar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organic wrote:
Waiting is so difficult. I hope they get it done for you soon. Suhr makes great instruments. You'll forget about the months of waiting once you have it in your hands.

that's what I hope. They told me 10 months wait, but my build start date was dated 4 months after order. By month 6, I asked how it was going, and they told me it's only taking a bit because the neck had to be recut.

Let's see, at least the seller knows what is going on.

if they finish as soon as the seller thinks, they will be done by month 8. I'm like @UberBill, watching social media posts every day hoping they will post my guitar, but that is a little crazy on my end. I think they do more than one guitar a day and don't post all of them on the internet.
Drew7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last order (never posted a NGD thread around here, by the way, I really should) was a mid-December order, and arrived in late September. I think I was quoted an estimated 6 month wait at the time but had seen here they were running a bit behind that so I wasn't too concerned. It was the middle of cycling season anyway so I wasn't playing a ton, just enough to maintain technique.

Long story short, it'll come, and it'll be awesome. Smile
diogoguitar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew7 wrote:
My last order (never posted a NGD thread around here, by the way, I really should) was a mid-December order, and arrived in late September. I think I was quoted an estimated 6 month wait at the time but had seen here they were running a bit behind that so I wasn't too concerned. It was the middle of cycling season anyway so I wasn't playing a ton, just enough to maintain technique.

Long story short, it'll come, and it'll be awesome. Smile

If there are no pics then you didn't get the guitar yet Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post the NGD man!
bmgguitars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine ended up taking 14 months, but it was worth it.
ATLMikeyD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per this discussion, check out some of the older Suhr factory tour videos on Youtube.

There was one with an Italian "chitarre" channel that John took around the shop 7-8 years ago. The tour is broken down in to several segments.

In one of the earliest segments, John discusses wood selection and custom neck construction considerations. One of the key takeaways is that after a neck is roughly cut/constructed, it is stored for an entire month to see if the wood behaves and doesn't twist as part of their quality control process. He also mentions that if a neck doesn't make the cut, it goes into the trash and the process starts over again.

Personally, if I'm plunking down more than I did on my Antique S on a custom order, I'm happy to wait for perfection.
Dcareaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I LOVE Suhr.

I Really, REALLY do.

I use their amps, Badger is Incredible and my PT-100 is the greatest amp I have Ever owned. Period.

I have ordered 3 custom guitars, I use their pedals...

I don't use any other amps or, usually, electric guitars.

Nothing compares for me. Nothing. They are the BEST.

Every product and interaction I have ever had with Suhr has been stellar.

John personally modding my old 3+SE preamp even going to radio shack to buy different colored lights for it because I was a dumb kid who thought it would be cool. If you see this, Sorry about that, John... but thanks again.

You and your team are truly awesome.

Them letting a nobody, small timer like me visit the old factory and letting me pick out my maple top for my first custom order.

CS handling any issue I bring to them with such aplomb, care and super friendly detailed attention.

But I have to be honest.

And, I never post things like this on forums.
Seriously, I use my real name on every forum I sub to specifically to be
transparent and you would be hard pressed to ever find me writing anything like this before.

I ordered a guitar in November of 2018 and I am still waiting.

I went back to playing electric after playing acoustic mainly for a very long time, joined a new band and immediately ordered a guitar I knew I would need for a secondary tuning as I had to sell one of my 2 Suhr's a few years back after an emergency required a lot of money.
I figure the gigs wouldn't really stack up until mid-year 2019 anyhow. We had to build our set-lists and get gig ready.
I was correct about that...

I knew going in that it would be longer than usual, my first two guitars took 4-6 months.

This time I figured 8-10 Max. As I have seen Suhr really grow and demand rise, which I think is awesome!

In late November 2018 I received a final spec sheet with a build start date of 6/24/19. Cool! That probably means September or October sometime and I can make that work.

I reached out to my dealer in late July for an update and was told the body was cut and headed to sanding and the neck was in sanding. Right as I had thought!! Awesome!

I reached back out to my dealer in early September to pay off the balance figuring we were almost 10 weeks into the build (I am now guessing we weren't?)and late September or mid October, 3-4 months, was probably a reasonable time frame. (I now know the real time frame seems to bee 4-5 months).

I got an update that the "body had a QC issue and had been recut and was in the wood shop waiting to catch back up to the neck, so it would be a few more weeks".

I went ahead and paid the balance figuring "ok, late October or mid November?".

Gigs stacking up, Needing a guitar to tune down to E flat, I bought an off the rack guitar knowing I would have to sell it... Not a huge deal but man I don't like other guitars! Smile

First week of October... "Neck in Sanding and Fretting, Body In Paint."

Late October/Early November... "Body done and in staging and neck in paint finishing."

Ok, ok... 2-3 more weeks? Maybe? Thats 12 months but...ok... We had to start the body over. I get it. They make The BEST instruments.

Worth The Wait.

Late November, "Suhr Says 'The neck was still in finishing as of two days ago and the body is done awaiting the neck. If all goes well, we should see the guitar in about 30 days, hopefully before Christmas!'"

At this point I jokingly voiced a concern that Suhr were ramping into Winter NAMM and that John himself had mentioned elsewhere that it was "NAMM Crunch time!" so, to my dealer, I wondered if that meant I would be waiting until "next year after Winter NAMM 2020"

December 20th, 30 Days Later... "it's coming along nicely and about to have the logo done, they wanted to make sure you wanted an Abalone Logo inlay with Mother of Pearl Fret/Side dots ... Its on the bench today let me know ASAP"

I am really not sure why that was being asked so late in the game...
It was on my final, approved spec sheet and it's the same as I had ordered in the past, suddenly it's a hang up in the process and they need me to confirm before moving forward?

Anyhow, I am almost at 14 months. And definitely feeling like I was lost in the shuffle.

I see Drew7 above with a December to September wait and my mind is kind of blown that my wait time started before and is still in process.
Again, this may sound "whiny" but even with recutting the body thats a 9 month wait vs 14 and counting. It just seems... odd

After all of that I cannot imagine ever ordering a custom guitar from Suhr again.

Sadly.

And it's not really about the actual wait time.

If I had known up front that it would be 14 months or so I would have been absolutely fine with that but I would have handled my band/business/gigs/finances around this Very differently.

It's the moving of the goal posts over and over.. and over.

Having reliable information is crucial in making good decisions and creating and executing a plan.

I am no one, just a local working musician making ends meet but
I do like to be able to count on timeframes when my ability to meet my obligations is on the line.

I order Suhr custom guitars because I have a particular neck shape and bridge selection, pickup combo and wood combo that I really, really love and its only available on the custom guitars.

And there are no better instruments out there. At least for me.

I love my Suhr gear and I will always represent it as best I can to the people I play for and other musicians.

But for now... I guess the two, when I receive this one, guitars I have are going to be it for a good long time, at best.
Drew7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcareaga wrote:

I see Drew7 above with a December to September wait and my mind is kind of blown that my wait time started before and is still in process.
Again, this may sound "whiny" but even with recutting the body thats a 9 month wait vs 14 and counting. It just seems... odd

I can't speak for Suhr, so this isn't authoratative at ALL...

...but, I believe the dealer I ordered from periodically places inventory orders to reserve build spots, and if they get a custom order before the build comes up will use their spot for that. If not, they'll use the order slot for an inventory build for their in-stock selection of Suhrs.

So, while I ordered in December, it's entirely possible that the production spot had been reserved long before, and in fact considering I'd been quoted an estimated delivery date of right around when you were told yours would go into production, I wonder if that's what we're seeing here. I'd have to go back and check but I seem to recall an estimated start date in April, and if my body was recut or anything I didn't hear about it, so that would bring our timelines closer into alignment.

I'll admit that I basically just put the order out of mind after I paid for it, and was pretty deep in training for cycling season for most of the time it was outstanding so when I got the call that my guitar had shipped and would be at the shop in a couple days, it was kind of a pleasant surprise.
Dcareaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew7 wrote:
Dcareaga wrote:

I can't speak for Suhr, so this isn't authoratative at ALL...

...but, I believe the dealer I ordered from periodically places inventory orders to reserve build spots, and if they get a custom order before the build comes up will use their spot for that. If not, they'll use the order slot for an inventory build for their in-stock selection of Suhrs.

So, while I ordered in December, it's entirely possible that the production spot had been reserved long before, and in fact considering I'd been quoted an estimated delivery date of right around when you were told yours would go into production, I wonder if that's what we're seeing here. I'd have to go back and check but I seem to recall an estimated start date in April, and if my body was recut or anything I didn't hear about it, so that would bring our timelines closer into alignment.

I'll admit that I basically just put the order out of mind after I paid for it, and was pretty deep in training for cycling season for most of the time it was outstanding so when I got the call that my guitar had shipped and would be at the shop in a couple days, it was kind of a pleasant surprise.

Yeah man, I am sure you are correct and thank you for your perspective.
To be clear, I am totally not calling you out or even Suhr or my Dealer for that matter.

I am absolutely sure there are good reasons for the wait, and I put it out of my mind for the first nine months and only checked in after that first 9 months because I was told "check in in 'X' weeks.

I am not really even mad, just disappointed and tired, something that should be a fun process and an exciting thing has become something I am tired of.
The dealer I went with I chose from reputation and because they routinely order inventory... so for the same reasons you stated. And they have been great!
The build date they request was 3/1/19, a build slot they already had, I assume. That was pushed to June, which was totally fine, I actually expected it.

As I said before, I just need to be able to count on the timeframes I am given.
Anyone ordering a tool they need for their job needs this.
It's really that simple to me.
Drew7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, if you need dependable timeframes, ordering custom guitars is probably not a good idea, lol.

We're complaining about a build lasting more than a year. I know some Jackson guys who waited 2-3 years for builds, and then Internet Luthier Flavor of the Moment Builds routinely seem to blow up and take 5+ years, if they happen at all.

If you're a working musician and need this as a tool for your job, then you'd be crazy to not order something from in-stock dealer inventory.
Dcareaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew7 wrote:
I mean, if you need dependable timeframes, ordering custom guitars is probably not a good idea, lol.

We're complaining about a build lasting more than a year. I know some Jackson guys who waited 2-3 years for builds, and then Internet Luthier Flavor of the Moment Builds routinely seem to blow up and take 5+ years, if they happen at all.

If you're a working musician and need this as a tool for your job, then you'd be crazy to not order something from in-stock dealer inventory.

Iím pretty sure thatís exactly what I was alluding to in my post. But I guess constructive criticism given without anger or profanity is considered stupidity?
My entire post was specifically about how the timeframes used to be dependable and now no longer seem to be. Specifically that the build time I was given worked perfectly for my new projects. The the timeframe slipped again and again.

I am very aware of the ďflavor of the month luthiersĒ youíre referring to and the insane stories therein. Thatís precisely why Suhrís dependability set them apart. You could always count on them to hit the timeframe. Again, I donít expect 4-6 months like it used to be, Iím cool with 14 months as long as I know it going in. That allows me to make and execute plans. Thatís good business and good customer service.

Hence the reason I wonít order from them again.

To clarify;
They make my favorite gear on earth. That Iíve ever used.
They are amazing. Always have been.
I still tell everyone who asks about my gear, what it is and where to get it.
I am not mad.
I am trying to share an experience in a thread where people seem to be having varying wait times for orders.

Youíre free to think Iím dumb or that I have some sort of agenda to tear them down. I donít. Iím pretty sure I made the latter clear.

And no offense but telling working musicians that Suhr Custom builds are a bad idea seems antithetical to what Suhr actually do and Iím pretty sure Suhr would like all musicians of all types to order any instrument they need. They Do make custom instruments for working musicians not just people who spec fancy builds because they have a ton of cash and a lot of time to kill.

Also, again, I meant no offense to you by highlighting your post.
It was a simple example of what seem to be big variances in wait times for orders placed in similar windows. Thatís it. Just an observation. Iím sure it read as sour grapes, itís not. Itís a piece of information that paints a bigger picture.
Drew7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have misread your post then, because it sounded like you were saying it was interfering with your ability to do your job - missing gigs because you didn't have your electric. If so, then ANY custom order is going to get you into trouble. If not, and this was just one more guitar for the fleet, then whether or not you're a working musician is pretty irrelevant to your concerns, IMO.

Anyway, none of this is really my business, and I'm mostly replying because I got called out by name here. Whatever, carry on.
ATLMikeyD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I misinterpreted the OP as having professional impacts due to lack of an instrument as well. To that I would say go get MIM Fender and wear it out until the custom ordered/spec'd Suhr comes in.

In a funny way, I seem to recall similar experiences with early personal car orders from Ferrari in the 50's and 60's. Some movie stars that ordered cars through Jon Von Neumann (in Hollywood) were unhappy to say the least. Steve McQueen had to wait a pretty long time for his 275 GTB/4 which was delivered to the set of "Bullit" to which he jumped out of the iconic Mustang and into his new car and didn't come back for shooting for hours.....much to the anger of the production crew et al.

Small quantity, handbuilt, finished, tuned things take time. I intend to order one in the next year but at least I know what to expect. While I can't say "I know what you're going through", I still intend to go through with the process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: