Suhr :: View topic - Bridge humbucker to go with 2x ML SS

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Bridge humbucker to go with 2x ML SS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topusername

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Bridge humbucker to go with 2x ML SS Reply with quote

Hi. I'm looking to replace the pickups in a HSS guitar. I like the sound of the ML single coils, so they'll fill the neck- and middle position, but I'm unsure about the bridge humbucker.

I'm going for flexibility, as I appreciate guitars that can fill many niches, and I'll likely attach a push-pull pot for splitting it also. I play both jazz and metal, along with most things in between, and tend to in general prefer modern, "tight", crisp sounds. SSV, SSH, DSV, DSH or any of their variations - which one fits the bill? My hunch is SSV+/SSH or the DSV+/DSH, but not easy gauging their tonality on their flavor texts, or from Youtube-videos recorded with different mics, on different amps, etc...
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you play more metal or jazz? What's your rig?

Most Suhr humbuckers are fairly versatile so your rig and what you tend to play more often would be more important factors to consider.

If you use an old Plexi style amp and need something to drive it hard I'd recommend the Aldrich or the SSH

If you use a more modern style amp like a Boogie Mark V then you can either get the SSV+ or the SSH. Aldrich is fine too of course, although I do find the Mark style amp to work very nicely with SSV+ and SSH.
noice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 ML's and a regular SSV in the bridge. I find even the SSV to be on the verge of being too hot sometimes Laughing It does rock for sure though.

Since you're looking for versatility, I'd say don't rule out the regular SSV or Thornbucker. As Pete Thorn said in one of the demo vids, you can always get more gain from an amp or pedal, but you can't really go the opposite direction if your pickup is kinda dirty to begin with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: