Suhr :: View topic - Suhr Custom Delay

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ† †SearchSearch† †MemberlistMemberlist† †UsergroupsUsergroups† †RegisterRegister

Suhr Custom Delay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soaring

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Suhr Custom Delay Reply with quote

Just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing extended wait periods for a custom build. Coming up to 1 year and really no word. Ordered through Matt's music in February 2018. several emails through Matt's music and Suhr. Told body is being sanded and fret work being done 2 months ago. Is this unusual? I understand organic materials, quality control, labor etc etc.. Originally told by store 6-8 months then Christmas and still nothing. Now my birthday coming and still no word. Come on guys!!!
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought one year+ is typical
Drew7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Suhr Custom Delay Reply with quote

soaring wrote:
Just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing extended wait periods for a custom build. Coming up to 1 year and really no word. Ordered through Matt's music in February 2018. several emails through Matt's music and Suhr. Told body is being sanded and fret work being done 2 months ago. Is this unusual? I understand organic materials, quality control, labor etc etc.. Originally told by store 6-8 months then Christmas and still nothing. Now my birthday coming and still no word. Come on guys!!!

I've got my second order in through Matt's at the moment. They're local to me so I've been down to the shop a number of times and have bought some non-Suhr stuff there over the years as well, and I've always been impressed with the place - really good guys, have always gone way above and beyond to help me out with questions, etc. I can definitely vouch for the shop.

I ordered in December of 2018 and was quoted about a six month wait for this order. My last Suhr was probably... December of 2012, I think, and I was quoted a similar wait, but it arrived in April, two months early.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe Matt's just periodically reserves a few spots in Suhr's building queue, and if they get custom orders, they use them for that, and if they don't they order custom-spec'd builds for inventory. That could add a fair amount of variation to the process, where if no one happened to have ordered a custom build in a little while you could end up with a surprisingly short wait.

This time around I'm definitely expecting a full six months, though if it comes in early again obviously that'll be a pleasant surprise.

Total speculation... But the details of your story suggest, to me, that there may have been an issue with your build somewhere along the line and Suhr ended up deciding to scrap the neck or the body for not meeting their standards, which delayed your build. Totally just guessing here.
soaring

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your reply. I realize it would be hard to call so many people if it is another issue across the board but if it is an individual build i would hope they would call the vender or customer. We all deserve a ball park estimate but there comes a time where most people run out of patience. Without communication, then i am already there. Vender tells me mid November body in wood shop and sanding and neck in fretting. kind of odd since it is a set neck. Same day almost Suhr replies it is in paint.

Who do i believe? 2 months later vender tells me will get right back to you on what has happened. 3 days later still no answer. thus this somewhat ugly posting that i would never put on their own website as you don't order a 5,000$ guitar without massive respect.

Would like an honest answer and that's all. then i will resume my wait.
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necks are still worked on separately before joining with the body for set necks I think
qwe200

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most recent custom build took just over 5 months.
soaring

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will try again to contact Suhr directly through email and see what they say. I understand they will not have time to screen the forum to keep up with customers. Would be nice if John could chime in and post a reply.
soaring

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

email sent to Jacob Morris from Suhr who was kind enough to check into things in November. will await his reply.
Drew7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only other thing I'll mention is Suhr build times are actually awfully short - I've heard of other big-brands (I won't name names, but well-regarded manufacturers that also offer custom shop builds) running 2-3 years, and of course there are dime-a-dozen horror stories with small-time custom builders getting in over their heads and delivering years past their quoted deadlines, if at all.

The nature of ordering a custom guitar from anywhere, even a well-regarded shop such as (but not limited to) Suhr, is it's going to take a long time, and there's a decent possibility that an unforseen delay will cause the shop to miss an estimated delivery date. It comes with the territory, of wanting a custom to-your-specs build. I got lucky the last time, so I'm probably due this time around. Laughing
DaeniusZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ordered from Suhr recently, maybe they're faster now. Friend of mine ordered a Pro Series S6 back in 2012 and that thing took 18 months. Granted Suhr was also moving factories at the time, so there was the extra added delay.
Suhr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soaring wrote:
I appreciate your reply. I realize it would be hard to call so many people if it is another issue across the board but if it is an individual build i would hope they would call the vender or customer. We all deserve a ball park estimate but there comes a time where most people run out of patience. Without communication, then i am already there. Vender tells me mid November body in wood shop and sanding and neck in fretting. kind of odd since it is a set neck. Same day almost Suhr replies it is in paint.

Who do i believe? 2 months later vender tells me will get right back to you on what has happened. 3 days later still no answer. thus this somewhat ugly posting that i would never put on their own website as you don't order a 5,000$ guitar without massive respect.

Would like an honest answer and that's all. then i will resume my wait.
. Send me an email to John at Suhr dot com. Iíll see whatís up.
soaring

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Delay on Suhr custom modern set net Reply with quote

Ordered guitar through Matt's Feb 2018. Last inquiry with Ed Adair was 5 weeks. Hopefully getting close. Many emails and everyone has been cordial and nice. The wait is quite painful. Not sure i could do it again. In fact, i am sure that if i ever were to get another suhr guitar i wouldn't dare buy it custom. I would buy it off the shelf if i liked it enough. 15 months and counting! Crying or Very sad
cpetucco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope you finally received your guitar!

I have also been waiting for 15 months and counting for my custom order Crying or Very sad
I ordered the guitar at Peach Guitars (UK) in November 2018 and they told me an expected delivery time of about 7-10 months. As I said, it is now 15 months and all this waiting without any information is becoming very painful.

I contacted the dealer several times and they kindly replied to all my emails and made inquiries with Suhr. Unfortunately, the answer was always that the guitar was not completed yet, they were unable to give me an expected delivery time. I also tried to contact Suhr customer service directly hoping to have more precise details on the state of my order and all I got as an answer was "We always ask that build status requests come through to us via your dealer. After all, you are buying the guitar from them and not us directly". That is weird because Peach guitar could never give me an accurate build status.

Well, I think that there is a lot of room for improvement in terms of customer service for Suhr custom orders. When you buy a high-end product you would expect a high-end support. A simple message with the build status and the expected delivery date would be enough and it would make the customer happy, imho.
Iamspacebar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpetucco wrote:
I really hope you finally received your guitar!

I have also been waiting for 15 months and counting for my custom order Crying or Very sad
I ordered the guitar at Peach Guitars (UK) in November 2018 and they told me an expected delivery time of about 7-10 months. As I said, it is now 15 months and all this waiting without any information is becoming very painful.

I contacted the dealer several times and they kindly replied to all my emails and made inquiries with Suhr. Unfortunately, the answer was always that the guitar was not completed yet, they were unable to give me an expected delivery time. I also tried to contact Suhr customer service directly hoping to have more precise details on the state of my order and all I got as an answer was "We always ask that build status requests come through to us via your dealer. After all, you are buying the guitar from them and not us directly". That is weird because Peach guitar could never give me an accurate build status.

Well, I think that there is a lot of room for improvement in terms of customer service for Suhr custom orders. When you buy a high-end product you would expect a high-end support. A simple message with the build status and the expected delivery date would be enough and it would make the customer happy, imho.

Oh no, I just placed a custom order through Peach last week and was quoted 8-10 months originally. I have to agree, a simple email to the dealer once a month to explain where in production that build is would be a great thing to offer. I could only imagine that the longer the wait goes on, the more the customer has to hassle the dealer and start to annoy people.

Hope yours turns up soon!
UberBill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Custom Order Reply with quote

Update: My Alt T custom finally arrived March 28 (from dealer [Westcoast Guitars (plug)] Took 14 months
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: