Suhr :: View topic - Is this an abnormal amount of play in an OFR trem stud?

Suhr Forum Index

Suhr
The Official Suhr Forum

www.Suhr.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Is this an abnormal amount of play in an OFR trem stud?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Is this an abnormal amount of play in an OFR trem stud? Reply with quote

Video below, since it's easier to see than explain... But, The trem studs, particularly on the high E side, feel rather loose in my 2013 Modern 7. The stud anchors, near as I can tell, are rock-solid and aren't loose at all, it seems like it's the stud is loose inside the anchor it screws into:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=32&v=PJ8eE9gGwEA&feature=emb_title

A little bit of play is one thing, but this is loose enough that I can feel some play when I grab the bar. The overall effect feels a bit like a loose arm holder, but I've checked this one a number of times now over the year or two that this has really been noticeable before I realized how loose the studs were.

I'm thinking of just hitting the studs with some blue Loctite to make them sit a little more snugly into the anchors, but figured I might as well ask first to see if anyone else has similar experience - at present, this is my only guitar with an original Floyd Rose ( a couple two-point vintage trems, a few Ibanez LoPro trems, and one other OFR7 that's on the locking Ibanez LoPro trem studs that the original Edge 7 was on) so I don't really have a good way to compare.
Suhr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Is this an abnormal amount of play in an OFR trem stud? Reply with quote

It's hard to tell from the video if the post is loose or the anchor is loose.
Eat thing to do is contact customer support
Drew7 wrote:
Video below, since it's easier to see than explain... But, The trem studs, particularly on the high E side, feel rather loose in my 2013 Modern 7. The stud anchors, near as I can tell, are rock-solid and aren't loose at all, it seems like it's the stud is loose inside the anchor it screws into:

A little bit of play is one thing, but this is loose enough that I can feel some play when I grab the bar. The overall effect feels a bit like a loose arm holder, but I've checked this one a number of times now over the year or two that this has really been noticeable before I realized how loose the studs were.

I'm thinking of just hitting the studs with some blue Loctite to make them sit a little more snugly into the anchors, but figured I might as well ask first to see if anyone else has similar experience - at present, this is my only guitar with an original Floyd Rose ( a couple two-point vintage trems, a few Ibanez LoPro trems, and one other OFR7 that's on the locking Ibanez LoPro trem studs that the original Edge 7 was on) so I don't really have a good way to compare.
Drew7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is this an abnormal amount of play in an OFR trem stud? Reply with quote

Suhr wrote:
It's hard to tell from the video if the post is loose or the anchor is loose.
Eat thing to do is contact customer support
Drew7 wrote:

Hewy, thanks for getting back to me! I remembered after posting this that I still had a spare set of OFR trem studs from that Ibanez conversion, so I tossed those in. No change - the anchor is rock solid, but the stud itself has some play. Possibly the threading i the anchor is a little worn, it's tough to say for sure.

I DID end up solding the problem, however - turns out, while the trem arm holder was also very tighht and secure, I'm using one of the OFR push-in style ones and they've gone through a few design iterations since they introduced them, and the current one's collar isnt all that great - the play I was feeling in the bar turned out to be due to a collar that was tihht enough to have some real resistance when pushing the bar in and pulling it out, but still allowed the bar to have some play while installed. They're using a harder, more plastic-y collar than Gotoh and Wilkinson have used in similar designs.

I'll reach out to Floyd and see if they've improved the design since (otherwise, I love the holder), but for now the solution seems to be just to loosen the tension allen screw whenever I need to remove or re-install the arm, and just tighten it to the point where I can't readily remove the arm while playing. My Suhr lives either in a floor stand or on a wall hanger so it doesn't spend much time at all in a case so this isn't a huge deal, but it's kind of annoying.

Killer guitar, incidentally. Facebook tells me I've owned her for seven years now as of last week, and it's still one of the best sevens I've ever picked up, and only not the best guitar I own because my Modern 6 I got last fall is just FREAKISHLY nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Suhr Forum Index -> Suhr Guitar Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: